Vegas? | FerrariChat

Vegas?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Whisky, Jun 4, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Where is the best, most reasonable place to stay? (NOT cheapest)
    I don't care if it is old or new, but don't want a flea bag place.

I don't care about hardly any amenities, to me a hotel is just a
    place to shower, sleep, and operate out of.
    My only real hard requirement is indoor parking on premises....

I just want to visit and wander around, I don't care if I stay a few days 'Downtown',
    and a few days on 'the Strip', and it for sure won't be on a Friday-Saturday night,
    probably Sunday thru Thursday. I'm driving there. Maybe September.
    I also know you can take trollies between the two locations...

I also don't gamble much, but I am a helluva Keno player.
    Most people suck at it, I'm pretty good, I have my own little system...

I've never been TO Vegas - drove thru it once in 2019 on I-15 - that's it.
    Ok, I confess, I exited on Sahara Blvd, hit InNout Burger on Sahara, and
    got right back on I-15.

Doug. likes this.
  2. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Whisky. I'll give it a start. Downtown I'd recommend Circa with the Golden Nugget (GN) or the "D" second. On the strip in September, you will get lower rates at decent places like MGM, Planet Hollywood, Paris, TI. I'd give the Venetian a try and perhaps Aria or PARK MGM. Enroll on-line for free in their loyalty clubs and you might do better on the rates booking directly. There are a couple of good museums to check out, like the Museum of Atomic Testing on Flamingo and if you like Pinball the World Hall of Fame. The conservatory at Bellagio is free and always beautiful. The public areas of The Wynn are beautiful as well. Downtown check on the Mob Museum and also the Neon Museum (great at dusk). Binion's is fun for the WSOP HoF. The "Trolley" you refer to is The Deuce. It's a bus and safest, cheapest, reliable transport from the Strip to Fremont. If you share more of what you enjoy others may chime in. People watching is usually entertaining and during your wandering, any youngish person coming up to you and asking "Hey, where are you from?" just keep walking, AND it is still really hot in September. If you have your car take the drive out to Red Rock for a leisurely drive through a beautiful area on a loop road (reserve in advance). The Valley of Fire over an hour or so north of town is well worth a visit.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In 2021 I attended a convention at the Rio. The place seems to get a bad rap but my stay was fine, though some of the restaurants were very expensive. They have an adjacent covered parking deck that will keep your car out of the hot sun, and since it is west of I-15, you avoid some of the traffic hassles on the Strip.

4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Jim. It LOOKS close but the walk from the Rio to the strip is long, hot and dangerous. Totally isolated over there. Whisky wants to wander around that's not the place.

Whisky likes this.
  5. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Yeah, not good for a guy that is 6'4" and pushing 390....

I had two friends tell me about 'South Point', but that's waaay too far south.

I'll probably just look at the map on Booking.com, pick a place downtown for
    two nights, and on the strip for two or three nights and do that.
    After I leave Vegas I have no idea where I am heading....

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I never said that it was close! I spent most of the time in the hotel, and found that the Korean, Dim Sum and Vietnamese restaurants were somewhat affordable. If I wanted to go elsewhere I went out to the parking deck and hopped in my (shaded) car.

7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    You'll do better booking direct with the property Whisky. Especially if you run into some sort of difficulty with your reservation/room. Don't forget to add in resort fees (and taxes) and for some properties parking fees.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Some places I have stayed that are more budget friendly and "fine".

Mandalay Bay (I actually like it)
    Luxor
    Sahara
    Westgate (off the Strip)

I have stayed a night at Circa. I like it because its adult only. No kids running around. But you are pretty much stuck downtown. On the weekends its a party outside which is kinda cool. They just opened up the new entrance to the Plaza. I haven't been there but Oscars steak house has a pretty amazing view of Fremont Street and the food is supposed to be pretty good.

Downtown on Fremont street things are still a bargain, at least compared to the majors on the Strip.

alum04org likes this.
  9. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I just cannot get into that kind of food, and I've TRIED.
    I would most likely hit InnOut 2-3 times a day..... ;)

10. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Well, Whisky, you seem like the perfect visitor. Don't gamble, dine solely on fast foot hamburgers, stay in low end hotels, your entertainment consists of wandering around. :)

Doug., tantumaude and Nembo1777 like this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Had to stay there two days in November because of my trip route; Sedona two days which I loved, then a week in Scottsdale for work.
    Absolute dump town with the worst tourists hooked on gambling like others are on illegal drugs. Everything too big, impersonal, noisy slot machines everywhere, a very sad Disney for grown ups with a bad hangover.

I stayed in the Luxor on a whim, had to walk half a mile from reception to my elevator and room. Bath water stank, major water problems in that city.
    Staff told me I could not use the pool because weather was a bit cold. I could not believe it. In Europe they would be fired for that. I used the indoor spa instead.

Needless to say it felt weird flying from Paris via Montreal and then seeing a fake mini Eiffel tower from the taxi.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    That's a pretty silly reply.
    Please point out to me where I said I 'dine solely on fast foot hamburgers'?
    Because I said when I was driving thru town I stopped at InnOut ONCE?

And I don't NEED the expensive hotels.
    I'm not a millionaire book author (sic), but all my life I have never had the urge to
    spend on high-dollar hotels when the only thing I do in a hotel is sleep and shower.
    You see, I've found when I spend less, I can go on trips more often and stay longer on those trips.

And as far as your s/a comment about my 'entertainment consists of wandering around',
    I will admit to that all day long, I LOVE wandering around and discovering nooks and
    places people usually don't trip across.... if that is a crime - I am guilty as charged.
    I probably walked 250 miles in Prague, Austria, Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Poland
    Germany and others - loved every step of it.

13. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat

I think he's being sarcastic.
    I stayed at the Strat, it was just fine. Highly recommend Valley of Fire at sunset, and Mt. Charleston in the morning.

14. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I can't tell anymore, people seem to aim things at me more than others.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I almost never go to Vegas intentionally but when I do I always have fun. It is an adult play ground. I'm here now doing recon for the F1 race. It is 104F at 9pm! The construction is huge and traffic snarled. It is like L.A.. the mgm sphere is huge. Maybe try staying at an mgm property. Then the paid parking at your hotel like luxor will get you in and out any mgm property for free like Mandalay Bay or cosmopolitan. Some hotels like Paris are connected to other hotels thru an underground tunnel so you stay cool and have lots of options. Prices are demand prices and vary greatly all over town. Call on Monday get a price might be totally different price on Tuesday. You can score cheap rooms. I'm in luxor just overnight and I'm all in for under $100 including resort fee taxes etc.! Lucky...not a dive. They claim my room was upgraded? Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Luxor in November was not expensive, I have to admit, can't recall the price, had a huge room on 20th floor of normal high rise (not in the pyramid), still not for me that town.
    I loved Sedona and want to see New Mexico towns with similar cliffs and ancient Indian dwellings in them.

My dream place in the SW is Amangiri but not within budget right now, next time.

17. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Good info - thanks!

As I have said before, I've never been there - just drove thru once on I-15, that's it.