430 - Valve Cover Gasket replacement | FerrariChat

430 Valve Cover Gasket replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by fstbiker, Jun 7, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Any have any suggestion or tips to get it done? Looks like I have a leak on my drivers side. What is the easiest way to access them, upper frame out? Looking to tackle this this week if I can get parts. If the frame needs to come out, I might as well do the trans bushing.

2. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Red 27 likes this.
  3. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Did you use any RTV?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I *think* you have enough space to remove just the cover with the frame in place, I would try that first (just by looking at the engine)

5. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Just replacement OEM gasket. But my favorite is the "Right Stuff" rtv.

6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Someone here mentioned to remove the wheel liner. They said once the cover is unbolted u can remove it under frame and thru wheel liner. If someone can confirm this please Thanks

7. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    At least try and clean the valve covers from above before with simple green and shop towels. Gonna drop crap into the engine if dirty and trying to slide gaskets out from the wheel well.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The wheel liners out gives a good view of the heads and easy to do.

9. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I used a silicone based sealant when I refitted. I'll check to see what i used (but it was recommended on FChat). It serves two purposes. First, it helps the gasket seal better, as clearly the gasket by itself is not really up to the job as I've yet to see an f430 that didn't have some weeping. Perhaps more importantly, it helps the gasket stay in place as you are trying to fit it. It would be really frustrating and paranoia inducing to try to fit it dry as things are moving around, as its hard to see all areas to ensure the gasket didn't pop out of place during fitting. You don't want to do this job again. Good time to tackle variators too if you have any weeping at the connectors. No extra labor while you are there. BTW, I did NOT remove the transmission frame but it would help. I'd probably remove next time as it was tough getting the covers out around the capistro headers I have. If you have not already done the transmission mount, I'd definitely remove the frame and tackle that at the same time.

LorenzoR and AandSC like this.
  10. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Edit: I used Three Bond 1211 silicone sealant. It can take the heat and vibration as used to seal motorcycle and jetski case halves.

11. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Did you put it just on the bottom of the black not the cover or both?

12. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Hondabond HT is a excellent silicone hi temp sealant. Also someone here mentioned they used a thin film of contact adhesive in the groove of the valve cover

13. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I want to add that Even though Honda bond is a good product it's very thick and harder to work with.

14. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I applied it to the valve cover channel, then installed the gasket in the channel. Let it sit for a. It to get tacky so the gasket wouldn’t fall out when inverted. Then an applied a bead on the head and then wrangled everything into position after saying a Hail Mary and making a Burnt offering in hopes everything would seat properly!

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Remove the frame..takes all of 20 minutes to get it out..just remember to support the gear box before removing the mount through bolt.

It opens up so much space and will reduce frustration and back pain.

Install the gaskets dry..do not use any silicone accept for in the corners and just a dab. And a small finger tip streak over the timing cover seam..that's all you need. Troque in a crisscross pattern starting from the center..8-10nm is enough.

16. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

So I have a question for the pros. Im heading towards removing the upper frame to fix valve cover leak and to change variator solonoids. So Once I install the variator solonoids and valve covers, can I start the car and let it idle to check for codes and leaks before reinstalling the upper frame

17. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

This was a dumb question in my part cuz I didn't think it thru so I asked the mods to delete these posts

18. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Well my request to have these deleted has been rejected. So as I stir the sauce for my clam's and linguini I have to laugh. I can't believe I converted two cars on my own on my back and ask something like this. Omg Mama Mia

AandSC and colorfull like this.
  19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Best not using silicon on the joint to the head, as it can be too strong and can be a pig to remove next time. We used contact adhesive to bond the gasket in the cover on the diesel engines- then put the cover , gasket down , onto a flat surface and put a good weight on top of it overnight- you now have the gasket bonded flat in the cover, so it is completely flat and will sit exact on the top of the head with no sealant.

20. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I like this idea. A thin film in the channel and let it sit

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Good use of your wallet- it needs a heavy weight to hold the cover down overnight

22. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Good one lol

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Your wallet is unique, it only has a money in slot, but no outlet- no wonder its will not fit in your back pocket.

24. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

HA, wish that were true. Not when it comes to this car. From converting to manual shift which i did myself, all new Big Brake calipers, sports seats, interior work, list goes on sheesee

25. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Oh a red model T conversion in red