Cataract operation-the one step or two step? | FerrariChat

Cataract operation-the one step or two step?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bitzman, Jun 7, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    At age 78 I am faced with decision affecting my sight. If I have the simple long distance cataract operation the Feds pay for it. but if I want the second choice, a combined deal where you get near sighted capability and long distance I have to pay $1500 per eye. My brother went for the more expensive choice but he's got more money. Any opinions on whether to go simple or the two step? Any advice appreciated.

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have no experience so I can't provide any real guidance, just an opinion. At 78 the question about money is "Do I have enough to get to the end?" If you have enough to get to the end, good vision is worth FAR more than the money.

GatorFL likes this.
  3. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

Four basic options for cataract surgery …

1) set both eyes for distance ( and then use reading glasses for up close )

2) set both eyes for reading ( and then use glasses to see at distance )

3) monovision ( one eye set for distance and one eye set for near )

4) one of the multifocals ( both eyes see distance and some near )

I would guess 90% of my patients go with #1 - most don’t find it a big deal to wear cheaters or bifocals for reading. The other thing to remember are the multifocals will not make you “15” again with perfect reading vision - for long term reading or tedious tasks - you still will most likely be putting on readers for extra help.

The multifocals are not “better”, they just give you another option. I’ve had a few patients that had them put in and regretted it - it wasn’t the money, they just feel like nothing is really clear because of the optics of the lenses.

If you want minimal use of reading glasses, spend the $3000 - they keep getting better and better.

Hope that helps - Optometrist here. Any questions, let me know.

MDS

JSwan724 and Skidkid like this.
  4. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    One more thing to add, most people doing cataract surgery are retired or close to it - they’re not spending 8-10 hours on a computer anymore - they maybe spend 1-2 hours a day reading whatever. Being retired, they’re golfing, road tripping, going out to eat, movies, walking the beach, etc …. The point being, minimal reading involved.

Another thing to remember is you’re still going to be wearing sunglasses, because everything is so bright ( more than before surgery ) - so when I hear “I heard I won’t have to wear glasses ), my patients will be gently told that’s pretty much impossible. Having said that, the multifocals will definitely minimize your need for glasses, depending on your lifestyle.

MDS

Skidkid likes this.
  5. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I had both eyes done 10 or so years ago. Walk in the park.
    I went with single (distance) lenses b/c the double purpose ones at that time simply weren't that good.

If they've improved, and I'm sure they have, I'd do the combo lenses today.
    Constantly needing reading glasses is a PITA.

Skidkid and mikesufka like this.
  6. JSwan724

JSwan724 Rookie

Jun 1, 2023

Go long distance and use glasses for close up stuff.

Also, get lazer $1,800/eye instead of the scaple option. Lazer is very precise.

You only have your sight once.