Mondial Pic of the Day Thread | Page 97 | FerrariChat

Mondial Pic of the Day Thread

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
  2. schelle_pelle

schelle_pelle Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    Would be really nice to get a written comparison between the two. Especially because you said, that your expectations on the Mondial were exceeded. I think the Mondial is still suffering of it's early bad reviews although it is such a blast to drive and some may even say that the Mondial is not worthy that Ferrari badge.

paulchua likes this.
  3. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I’ve always thought the Mondial was a good looking car especially in QV guise. Everyone seems to bag them, and I’m sure those who do just haven’t driven one. I’d never driven a Mondial until I bought my car and couldn’t understand the bad press as soon as I drove it. What’s not to like? Unassisted steering with great road feel, the click clack when changing gears, a mid engine V8 that loves to rev, a spacious cabin and styling that really is unique. And it’s huge fun at speeds where I won’t lose my license.

The 575 is basically a muscle car in a Brioni suit. Incredible power, too fast really with all speed limits we have. Beautiful interior, comfortable GT car with excellent air conditioning. Perfect for really long trips.

The two cars are literally like chalk and cheese. Horses for courses etc :)

paulchua and schelle_pelle like this.
  4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Greg I agree with your comments on the Mondial. I always say I never knew I wanted a Mondial till I drove one. I have also found when other car ‘enthusiasts’ put down the Mondial I usually ask if they have ever driven one and the answer was always no and then they would reply well I read this about them in a magazine or saw mention of them in a t.v. show. I say drive one and form your own opinion.

paulchua and greg246 like this.
  5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I recently bought a 348 Berlinetta and I still like my Mondial coupe better. In fact other than the 964 turbo I used to have it is my all time best purchase.

paulchua and JayG like this.
  6. dsmith

dsmith Rookie

Aug 3, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    ronfrohock, paulchua, peterp and 2 others like this.
  7. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    COOL FIRST POST!

NICE!!!!!!!

James

paulchua and JLF like this.
  8. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
  9. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
  10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Honestly, all of that negative feedback came from the first version Mondial 8 and was pretty much deserved. The Mondial 8 was severely down on power just due to bad luck timing on emissions -- the fuel injection, head design, and reduced compression to meet emissions standards made it legit slow (even though the prior carb-version of the same engine produced good power). I still remember when the first read test came out (can't remember R&T or C&D magazine), I thought the Mondial 8 was beautiful, but 0-60 was something like 9.5 seconds. The Mondial 8 was $64k, when a 930 Turbo (5.4 secs 0-60) was $38k. So it was pretty impossible to get excited about. The Mondial 8 also had some fairly significant electrical issues.

The QV fixed the performance and electrical problems,and the 3.2 and t's performed even better, but the 8 was pretty slow.

Sometimes 0-60 in a magazine doesn't mean that much in real life, butI test drove a Mondial 8 when I first started looking for one, and I just did not enjoy it. It made all the right sounds, but just did not go. My Mondial 3.2 I still rank as one of my favorite cars, and the only car I loved more and more the longer I owned it, so I love these cars, but the 8 deserved the negative reputation. The good news is that the reputation from the 8 has made all the other models mega bargains. I've yet to meet anyone who owned Mondial that didn't love it. The problem with the 8 (shared with the 308GTS/Bi) is there is also no easy way to make it perform better --- apparently the head design limits the power you can get out of it.

ronfrohock, JLF, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great post!!! The Mondial 8 came out the same time as the 180hp "Cali Vette." It's like if folks reviewed that model and assumed *every* Vette was like that.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    AndruL likes this.
  13. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Thanks. I am just playing with different mods to see how they would look. They're all reversible though if I ever decide to go back to stock. It's all good.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The internet can be a confusing place...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The Mondial can be best car you've ever owned (like me) or the worst. It all depends on what the prospective owner wants.

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I think the Mondial is "the best car you've ever owned" for many who have actually owned one.

And the Mondial is only "the worst car you've never owned" for the multitudes whose entire "knowledge" of Ferrari consists of reading the Internet

perrinnation, paulchua and Jeka like this.
  16. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    Yes, extremely lackluster, see my picture above (#2414)…

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said, especially when "Hot Cars" posts two articles (at the same time) - one that loves the Mondial and one that hates on it.

18. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
  19. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name: