Sell Viper or Keep? | FerrariChat

Sell Viper or Keep?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Orthoferrari, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am new to the Ferrari world. I have graduated from base Corvette to ZO6 to a very modified gts Viper.
    I am interested in getting a Testarossa or 355. My question is for those of you with more than one sports car is should I keep the Viper or will it languish in my garage after I get the Ferrari?

2. pdavis

pdavis Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Morristown New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Preston
    I have a 1997 Viper GTS (blue/white stripes) and a 1988.5 Testarossa. Keep the Viper. The cars are both awesome but very different in many ways. On days when you want break neck straight line acceleration go for the Viper. On days when you want a more refined ride for high speed cruising take the TR out for a spin. If you get rid of the Viper I promise you that you will miss it! pd

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Keep the Viper until you make it through the 1st major/belt service on the Ferrari. You will then be better equiped to make that call.
    What does a major service/belt change run on a Viper? Clutch cost on a Viper?
    The TR will run approx $4-5k for a clutch.

4. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I also have a blue/ white GTS. It is currently putting out 600hp/ 620 torque. I am not worried about the service as I already have put upwards of $20,000 into the viper for mods. If you think I will miss it I will keep it. I was just worried because I never missed the vettes despite being a vette lover since childhood.

5. SoFlaNSX

SoFlaNSX Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    I would think the Viper is a better choice than the Testarosa or the 355 as far as performance. The Ferrari is just too expensive to maintain compared to the Viper. You could use the money you saved for a DL twin supercharger kit!

6. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    I have a F355 GTS, a 2001 Yellow Viper GTS and a 2001 Z06 as well as other toys. All three are different and I enjoy driving each one. However, the Ferrari (I have owned my 355 for a year) is by far the coolest of the three. If I could one only one high end sports car, I would own the Ferrari. If you can afford it, then keep the Viper and get the F-Car. Both bring lots of smiles per mile!

7. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Completely different cars. If you like variety, keep the Viper. I currently have 3 Porsches (911, 968, and Boxster S) to go with my F355. I will sell the Boxster S, but I will still have a front, mid, and rear engined example in the garage. I like how each handles differently and it adds variety, especially on track days. I think the raw power of the Viper would be a great contrast to a 355.

8. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Well Doc, I'll tell you my take on your situation. I would keep the Viper, it's a great toy. I myself would pass on the TR and go for the 355. It is a much better car and will probably cost you less in the long run to maintain. I myself had designs on a 89 TR but after going through the various threads on FChat decided to start looking for a 355 Spyder. My 2 cents.
    WilliamR(DDS)

9. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Absolutely keep the Viper. The blue/white will be one of the only color combos that will appreciate as the car ages.

Curious as to what you have done to it? Heads/cam, headers, exhaust?

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    You should of made a poll.

Keep the beast.

11. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I went from a Viper GTS to a TR to a F355. The TR is more like the Viper in that it has a fair amount of torque so it has some low end power. The F355 power is all on the high rpm scale. All are great cars. If you could keep the Viper , keep it. There will be days you want to scare yourself with the tremendous acceleration

12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I would keep the Viper!

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Viper GTS is a great looking car, I'm not so sure about the quality though as Ive seen 3 Vipers grenade on the tracks. Still I would keep it

14. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I just sold a 700 hp 99 RT car, highly modded with Roe blower etc. I really miss the car and would not have sold it but for an unfortunate deer related incident. I am now looking for F car but hold the idea of the gen III Viper as my hole card. If I can't find the right Fcar, may very well go back to new Viper, as they are great cars. But to get to your question, I would keep it at least until you see how the Ferrari suites your needs and driving style. I really doubt that it will languish too much, they are just too much fun. That would be my ideal two car garage! Good luck.

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    If you are addicted to power, you will be very dissapointed.

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Or if your addicted to Torque.

17. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I have more respect than ever cuz of the Ford GT and the SRT viper for american cars. I think the viper is now a real competitor (better interior, ABS, new options for 600 HP coming). and it looks...bad! Love the fcars more, but still, just about nothing can touch a well done viper. 8.3 L is too much!

18. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Being addicted to Ferrari so much I think if I had a TR or a 355 AND a viper I dont think the viper would ever stay not dusty.

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Uhh, would the english translation of that be: the viper would always be dusty? :D

20. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Al Lambo .... This is for you!!! I thought it's pretty cool...

The Viper Engine is actually a "Lambo marine engine" thus the unique design... (per the head of the local viper club)

It's also the highest insured car in the US... i.e too many novice drivers cant handle the power..

For the money I would keep one around. The style is still a head turner..!

Patrick

21. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Haha, I confused myself when I was writing that but I didnt even bother to try and fix it. You got it right though.

22. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Like Kelsey Gramer!

23. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    I'm keeping mine. I have a Stradale coming and still feel that the Viper will be a kick. A good thrash of that 8.0L beast will help keep things in perspective. Had Vette C5, miss it. Won't make the same mistake with the Viper.

My $.02 get the 355.

24. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    yes, the style is unique, but the viper is about twist, which as Alan pointed out, is very, very addictive. The 355 driving experience, while sublime, is about keeping up the revs to stay in the power band, while, with the viper, the power is available and ready from when you turn the key(or push the button in the new ones). I drove them back to back a while ago and the experience is so different, the only real solution is to own both.

25. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I might have a similar situation to yours. I have a ZO6 and 360 Coupe. Both 6 speeds and Red but totally different cars. I enjoy both but really prefer the 360. Bottom line if you can afford to keep both do so-you will not regret it. With the addition of the 360, and due to the number of total cars in my household, my insurance is less than $600/6 months for the 360.