Big Brother Palisades Pkwy... | FerrariChat

Big Brother Palisades Pkwy...

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by technik1, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    There was some discussion last month about Big Brother policing the NYS Thruway. Last week I my LaserEcho diffuser was triggered while I was approaching the GW bridge tolls heading toward the city. It is my usual route, and I usually get steady K band there from the toll radar.

This time I also got a laser warning, and sure enough, I witnessed several NJ troopers, and what appeared to be two civilians schooling these troopers to use hand held laser guns. It was about noon or so on a weekday. It was definitely a training excersice, because at that moment all the cars were below 30 MPH or so.

So, I suspect we will see laser policing on the PIP, as well as other places--a growing concern for those of us who drive in a "spirited" manner. Luckily, laser diffusion is still legal in 48 states, and I intend to utilize my legal motorist rights to the fullest...

Gus,
    Technik 1

2. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    if they are standing outside the car and your moving "that fast" I call that a nice head start :)

3. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Until they radio ahead to the "chase car" a 1/2 mile in front. Been there done that.

4. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    That's why it is best to run with a group!! They can only catch one...

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Tell that to the group of 9 or 10 NSXs that got jacked on the Taconic coming home frm the East Coast Bull Run last Fall.

I dont remember all the details, but the gist is a bunch of State-ies were laying low for our entire group, and the whole pack of NSXs were nabbed @ 85+. They actually blocked off the hiway.

Does that sound correct Rob?

6. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    these days with cells phones and signs posted about reporting agressive driving you have to be very careful, especially in a group. it only takes one motorist to call in that 10 ferraris are weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed to get the staties on the case,

7. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Hey guys,

The significance of this thread is the abruptness of the laser reading. We just don't have enough time to slow down. By the time we get the laser warning, it's over in less than a second.

With the proper laser diffuser, the trooper will not get a reading, just frustration. So, legally, he's unable to issue a speeding ticket without documenting your speed. Needless to say, if you're flying by twice as fast as the rest of the traffic, you'll likely get pulled over for something. So we need to use our heads.

Gus
    Technik 1

8. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Luckily, Rob, they were nowhere near the christmas party...

if they are standing outside the car and your moving "that fast" I call that a nice head start :)[/QUOTE]

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just a note! this morning on my commute , south bound Palisades in the median in full view at @7:30...full rush hour between exit 7 and 6 was a grey unmarked crown victoria state trooper...with radar....the group I was in was all at 70+ jockying for lead..He got us all but only pulled over the accord behind me.Very rare to see radar in the rush hour direction...They must be under budget. It was instant on at close range...that is the only radar you still cant beat...any one using the Phantom Jammer, any Good???

10. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Sorry to hear about all those NSXs getting nabbed. The cops actually blocked off the highway entirely??? WTF??? I would have smashed into one of those donut eaters and sued them for blatantly obstructing a major highway without proper warning. And I know a good lawyer who'd take the case!!! It'd cost the Police a few bucks to defend their actions in court, and I would enjoy hasseling them!!!

Also, don't cops have a monthly quota of tickets/fines that they have to issue? I know a few cops and they have told me that if they don't issue a certain # of tickets, then the captain starts to get on them to do so. Could be that most cops like to write up their individual quota of tickets early in the month so they can be more laxed later in the month. I don't know, just a theory... Either way it sucks!!! Speed on brothers!!!!

11. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    ONly thing is if the officer is "speed certified" he doesn't need to clock you he can estimate your speed and give you a ticket based on that. That ticket will stand because of his certification his "estimation is as valid as if he clocked you

12. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    YOu are right. They nailed the NSX's and most of the other cars. I got nailed on the 7 at 94. SUX!

13. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I've got the article on the bust. Am traveling right now, but will post when I am back.

14. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Hey Rob,

In NY & NJ they do require evidence of speeding--it is the law. In fact, I had gotten pulled over on 9W for 72 in a 50. My radar never went off. When my court date arrived, the officer pulled me to the side and told me he had not yet had a chance to "set up", but I was obviously speeding. The judge dismissed the case--there was no hearing. I also have two attorney clients, they also confirmed that a registered reading as evidence is required. What their "speed certified" does allow them, is to determine which car is the speeder if there is more than one on the "zone of influence", as they put it...

15. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Interesting summary Gus -- thanks. Want to make sure I understand the logic of installing both a Valentine 1 and a laser diffuser. The way I understand it now is that the Valentine 1 will protect you against most non-laser police radars by giving you sufficient warning. However, while it can also detect a laser gun, by the time it does so, it will be too late as the laser would have already recorded you. This is where the laser diffuser comes in -- a diffuser will, for lack of a better word, diffuse the incoming laser, thereby protecting you from getting logged by the police. Is that the correct way to think of the differences between the two instruments Gus?

Could you inform the uneducated as to the effectiveness of the laser diffuser that you guys use. For example, I know (based on my own experience) that the Valentine 1 has close to a 100% effectiveness rate. Is the laser diffuser also that good. How about false positive / false negative rates? Lastly, where does the diffuser get installed -- behind the license plate?

I've got a V1 right, now, but am thinking about getting that installed in the mirror, and also getting a diffuser installed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

16. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Yes, Vic. As effective as the legendary V1 is, its' Achiles heel is that it only detects laser--for all intents and purposes, it tells you you've just got zapped! The LaserEcho unit is more accurate then the traditional K40 tacky plate frame unit, and it mounts stealthly behind any grille opening. Check www.lidatek.com for more info on this unit. As we had discussed for your GTB, your existing V1 unit will be mounted on the rear of the headliner, leather wrapped. It only needs a proper laser diffuser to complete the system...

17. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Lovely. Thanks Gus. Won't take it personally that you keep calling me Vic. ;)

18. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Sorry. It's Vikram, yes?

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Yes. But I was making reference to the "c" instead of the "k" in Vik. No biggie Gus -- all in good fun. BTW, if it continues to seem like it's gonna rain, we're obviously gonna have to cancel our wash appointment.

20. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Gotcha, Vik. It will likely pour, so we'll see. You may have to open that bottle after all, and drink to its' health!

Yes. But I was making reference to the "c" instead of the "k" in Vik. No biggie Gus -- all in good fun. BTW, if it continues to seem like it's gonna rain, we're obviously gonna have to cancel our wash appointment.[/QUOTE]

21. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Also, Noahh is supposed to stop by the shop when he's back from Boston. Maybe you guys can stop by together...just a thought.

Gotcha, Vik. It will likely pour, so we'll see. You may have to open that bottle after all, and drink to its' health!

Yes. But I was making reference to the "c" instead of the "k" in Vik. No biggie Gus -- all in good fun. BTW, if it continues to seem like it's gonna rain, we're obviously gonna have to cancel our wash appointment.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

22. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I'm picking the car up on Monday now, and Vik and I were thinking of going for a "holy-crap-we-just-got-our-new-fcars!!!" drive on Tues if the weather is nice.

After that, I was thinking of dropping her off for touch-ups / paint protection .... is Tuesday afternoon good?

--Noah

23. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Tuesday is fine, Noah. See you then!
    Gus

I'm picking the car up on Monday now, and Vik and I were thinking of going for a "holy-crap-we-just-got-our-new-fcars!!!" drive on Tues if the weather is nice.

After that, I was thinking of dropping her off for touch-ups / paint protection .... is Tuesday afternoon good?

--Noah[/QUOTE]