Extreme Makeover: F50 GT 1/18 | FerrariChat

Extreme Makeover: F50 GT 1/18

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by tifosi12, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sorry guys, just a sneak preview at this moment. Still working on the back end of the car. For comparison a regular F50.

2. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Hey Andreas.
    Come on, come on, come on......finish it :)
    Are'nt those GT VERY expencive??? I can only recall of seen it once on the bay.
    What do you think of mine F50???http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9496

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They are somewhere 300 to 400 bucks. I think our FChat sponsor Cavallinomodels.com has them once in a while. They are of course better done than mine, but I'm cheap. And I wanted to see how far I can take the modelling aspect, which was a new element in this model: I have used putty before for the front wing, no biggie, but here I had to build the entire roof and back portion and that was a pain and the result isn't totally perfect. So I guess I learnt my limitations.

But the model is still good enough to put into the collection, from a few feet away it looks good.

Probably this weekend it will get completed and pictures put on line.

Nice work on your F50. Orange wouldn't be my fav pick of color, but you did a nice job. Any model that doesn't paint the horsey is a good one...
    :)

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, it is finally done. Not the nicest model I ever made, but the heaviest modifications ever:

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks pretty good. Never seen a F50 GT model before.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They don't exist per se. They're all based on modified F50. I think Steffen offers one and so does Cavallinomodels, our sponsor.

8. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
  9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Joe. Twice actually. It got awfully quiet here, so I figured most people didn't like the transformation. I can see why, but actually the car looks better in real life. I should have used a less harsh light for the photo shoot.

Anyway, the transkit you're mentioning is the real deal. And guess what? I have one already on order, from the same seller. Actually Cavallinomodels also sells it now.

I'm still trying to use my lathe to get that hole in the front as this kit ain't cheap. But if I don't succeed, this is definitely the way to go. Also comes with the right windows and wheels.

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    http://www.nsxfiles.com/fontana_ferrari.htm

I believe the one above, which belongs to Art* (no, I don't know him, only know of him) was the only one built. #'s 002 and 003 were built off of the parts that were supposed to be for Art's 001 car.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have seen a real F50 GT only once at the Peterson museum in LA when they had a special exhibit for 50 years of Ferrari. That's where I took these two crummy shots.

I used the F50GT article in Forza #7 as a base for my model.

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks for the link - That was way cool - Some nice track footage downloads there also. :)

13. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Andreas.
    Nice work on the GT - what did you do? and what kind of material did you
    use on this project??
    If you know of any F50 GT for sale let me know, I really want to get one (not for 500 buckz though) :)

Paul
    wwwSuperCarCrash.com

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That one is gorgeous. You guys got some great stuff.

Wrecked Ferrari: I used A LOT of modeller's putty to rebuild the engine cover. I also reused the clear plastic engine cover and some thin metal to build that section up. The problem with putty is to get an even surface. I put endless layers upon layers of putty onto that car and then sanded it down again. Still it is very hard to get a somewhat even surface.

I made the rear wing out of its original wing and some plastic parts. The wheels are from a SP333. Front wing is metal sheet and putty. Seat is from a F40.

Given all the models I had to kitbash and the endless hours I put into this thing, the $ 200 for the much nicer Cavallino model looks like a steal.
    :(

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    On a brighter note:

Turning a 550 Maranello into its racing version is a LOT simpler and the results much more pleasing. Stay tuned...

16. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Andreas!

(call me Paul) You just gave me an brilliant idea - I'll try to make a GT myself, I just discoverd that I could remove the wing on my Maisto F50 (see pic)
    (but NOT on my orange F50 Maisto(?!?))
    Anyway, if you look a the pic below, I have marked it with A to E, just to make sure of the things I need to rebuild.
    A: A new intake
    B: Intake on the roof
    C: Cover up the engine with a new roof
    D: New wing (can cut and adjust the old one)
    E: New wheels/rims.

Is there anything I've forgotten now??
    If you look at the pic without the wing - you must say that it COULD remind of a GT?? :) just a little bit maybe....

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Where is your picture?

18. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Forgot the pic....

19. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    ...and remake the frontspoiler and "shrink" in the pipes.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There are a few more things:

- Interior is all black, easy to do. Take out the seats and put in a racing seat.
    - You need a front wing (look at my pics and the link to the real F50GT)
    - The rear section is quite different: There is an "undertray" underneath the car to channel the air. The exhaust pipes move. Their holes get closed and new mounting points for the pipes added.

The hardest parts IMHO:
    - air intake on the front
    - engine cover
    - paint job

The air intake is hard to do as you cut into really thick and heavy metal.
    The engine cover is harder than it looks as it is not flat but actually curved in two dimensions.
    The paint job gets hard as you have to basically paint the entire car, but it is full of nooks and crannies that need to get covered.

If you want to save yourself time and come up with a better result than I did, I strongly suggest you use the resin kit, that is available. I would have done that too, if I had known about it at the time. The kit is $ 125. That's why the $ 200 from Cavallino is not a bad deal after all.

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    But not as fun right? :)

22. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    OK thanx

I know its a hell of a job, so we'll see what happens - first I need to find
    a material I can work with.
    I belive you can never open your engine cover again - but, hey, sometimes you just have to make a sacrifice.
    Do you have any pix on the 550 yet???
    Keep us posted, I will......
    Thanx again

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, I dunno what to say honestly. Yes the mods were fun, no question. And to some degree I'm proud of the result.

OTOH I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and the outcome is not as good as other models. So I'm a bit torn.

For the time being I let it rest. There are so many other models that need to get built first. Also I learned a lot from this conversion. And that no doubt will help me in other projects. As always.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Correct, you can't open the engine cover anymore. Neither do the wheels turn anymore and quite frankly I was even thinking on glueing the front hood shut as I'm certain my model does not represent what's there in the real car.

Don't have any 550 pix yet, but they will come soon. Maybe this weekend.