Arg!! Need a passport FAST! | FerrariChat

Arg!! Need a passport FAST!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lesterm, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Hey all,

I think I might have lost my passport, since I can't find it anywhere. I believe it's somewhere in my room, but I have no idea at this point. I am leaving for London next Saturday. Is there anyway I can get a passport within a few days? The passport agency website says expedited passports come within two weeks. Thanks for any info.

2. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I got one in three days several years ago. I went to the office at the Post Office to apply for one and told them I need it expedited. They referred me to an individual in Houston who would walk it thru. I Fed-exed my stuff to him and he walked it thru and Fed-Exed it back. He charged me $500 to do it but it meant the difference between getting to take a 10 day expense paid trip to Germany for my wife and myself or staying home. It was worth it to me.

Check at the Passport office. They probably know someone who can walk it thru for you,

3. larz

larz Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Yes you can. Go to the postoffice and request and expedite passport. You can get it in 3 days I believe and may not have to pay too much I (I paid less then $500). Trying to call the passport office can take forever and rarely do you get a live human voice.

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    When I worked for my congressman back in collage, I walked them through every freeeking day!!!! Call you rep!!!!!

(Seriously.)

DrS

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Call CIBT. 800-883-2428. They take care of passports and visas for me. Be careful, they ain't cheap (overnight Z visas for China set me back $575 for my wife and me), but they are fast and reliable. If it can be done, they can do it.

6. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I don't think anyone will be using my passport since I lost it in my house. It's just a matter of finding it by next Saturday.

7. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    If it is gone, how can you know WHERE you lost it? No offence, but that is a pretty dumb statement.

DrS

8. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Contact your congressman. I did and they hooked me up. There is some sort of "special" number they can call to move things along.

The whole passport process is a joke if anything doesn't go right and you actually need to talk to someone (ie, you have to call a 900 number for customer "service").

Stupid government...

9. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    I actually own a business that does this (we are competitors to companies like CIBT that was mentioned above. Check my profile for the company name (I am not sure if mentioning it in the community is appropriate).

You have 2 other options that would be less expensive and less convenient (we charge $140 for same day processing).
    1. As mentioned, contact your congressman - however; many of them won't help and refer you to a company like ours, so prepare to be frustrated.
    2. If you live close to a Passport Agency ( check travel.state.gov for a listing of them, they are in the major cities) - make an appointment there and be prepared to spend the whole day with the process.

BTW- I'd suggest not going to a post office and asking for expedited service - they'll typically take 2 weeks and it's rather seasonal. We are entering the "busy season" so the 2 weeks is realistic.

Good luck!!

10. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Go to the nearest passport office, if there is one near you. My passport was falling apart and I had to get one within a day. Went to the passport office in Philadelphia at 8am and I had my passport at 11am, and I think it only cost a $50 or $75 extra fee. Good luck.

11. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    You can get one in one day at certain offices - I did at that federal building on Wilshire in LA before and I would assume many large cities have that possibility. Yes, you have to pay extra. I'm also pretty sure that if you do not submit your old passport because you claim it is lost, you have to provide a police report to prove that you have reported it stolen (quite a market in passports I'd assume). So there's another pain in the ass to deal with.

12. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    http://www.merrymaids.com/ They might help ya find it!
    Seriously good luck finding it.

13. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Whew, I found it in some false books in my library. Thanks for all the help though. It's good to know I can get a passport quickly in the event that I couldn't actually find it.

14. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

FWIW......since Lester solved his problem........

Here is Canada you pay something like $150 if you are in buy 9 am-10 am and you get it the next day......provided you did the forms properly.

My wife paid R$900 for one overnite in Brasil....."jeitinhos" included.