550 values-whats your opinion? | FerrariChat

550 values-whats your opinion?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by riverflyer, Mar 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I have read the search threads and got some great info, but not quite specific enough. What do you think would be a good, (not ok, but good) price for a 98 with under 7k on it. No major service done, but tubi and daytonas? I have searched the dealers, ebay, autotrader etc and it seems like anything under $120 is good but am curious what others are aware of, and or different parts of the country might offer. thanks, John

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

That would be a freaking steal at 120, assuming that the rest of it is good. Figure $5k for the service and a clause that you split the repairs of anything that they find in the service and I say that you are good to go.

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    My views on the early-year 550 Maranello market currently are:

(1) $110 - $120 for a 1997
    (2) $120 - $130 for a 1998
    (3) $130 - $140 for a 1999

The range is obviously influenced by quality, history, servicing, ownership and whether dealer vs. private seller.

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hey Vik, this is Tom--- In your opinion, what is an acceptable price spread b/w a 550M U.S vs Euro model? I came across a 98 Euro 550M yesterday on Dupontregistry and it's all I can think about over the past 24 hours....Dude, I am getting that sick...sick feeling that one is about to buy something on impulse and regret later...(I am going to church this Sunday...)

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Hi Tom! I defer to actual owners on this board, but having done some research as I was seriously looking at 550s (and one Euro one in particular), I think a fair differential (assuming all else on the cars is the same) is about $10K. If you've done your homework on the car, don't let the fact that it is Euro scare you off -- as long as you have made the appropriate price adjustments. The biggest rumor on Euro cars is that Ferrari dealerships will not service it. This is not true, and has been confirmed to me by two different dealerships. Put another way, they'd love to take your money. With a Euro car, you will certainly sell-out at a lower price versus a US car, but this will obviously be offset by the fact that you are buying in at the same lower differential. I feel the only sticky issue with Euro cars comes in with warranty claims, but I assume that is not something you face.

I will be offline for the next couple of hours, but please feel free to contact me off-line if you'd like to discuss further. The 550 is a phenomenal car!

6. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Souns like a lot to me.
    In Switzerland, I'd pay 135K$ for a pristine 2001 at today's highly disfavourable exchange rate for the US$ (1.27CHF/$).
    I would not go above 120K$ for a 1999, with relatively low mileage and excellent condition.
    Advertised prices are higher, but the cars don't sell.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ghost,
    You have done your homework! :) I have only recently begun looking at the 550 market and based on two recent sales I am aware of, your pricing is "on the mark"....

Dave