OK......Who's Sandbagging ?????? | FerrariChat

OK......Who's Sandbagging ??????

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by FLATOUTRACING, Mar 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Granted I think McLaren are in trouble but I have a sneaky feeling that Williams is holding back. No way BAR should be that far up the charts. I know they did well in testing but who knows what fuel loads and specs they were running.

Anyone else think there was some sandbagging going on ?

Guess we will know in a few hours.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

2. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Can't really say... lots of changes this year, andthe other teams may have been playing w/ engine tune to get a graphic idea of operating conditions v. power output v. fuel consumption. Also, with the rear aero changes, I'm sure some teams are put off by and may have been tuning the front aero to compensate for the loss in the rear.
    If there's sandbagging going, then I would guess ferrari are in on it too, and if that 's the case, then the rest of the grid really is in troble.

3. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I was thinking the same thing after the first session, but it would appear unlikely now after seeing how the second session went. With the new rule change regarding the tyres, teams have to decide what tyres to use for the rest of the week by the start of the practice session on Saturday, so I would imagine that the teams will be playing for real during the second session so they can start gathering real track datas and start dialing the car in for the qualifying and the race. Then again, who knows, there is a reason I am here and not at Melborn as part of the Ferrari F1 team :)

4. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    i hope BAR is that good as button showed today. button and richards have been optimistic in testings. hopefully this is the year honda starts going back to their former glory days :)

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Looking at the overall picture. the Rules changes did not slow down the cars much with the reduced downforce and the 1 engine rule.

The big thing is that the tire wars have gone big time. With both players picking up there game.

BAR pre season times appear that they were not a fluke. lets just hope that honda has the reliability equation figured out.

I cannot wait for the race to start it should be great :)

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    We can only hope, that Williams was sandbagging: If they were not, we're in for a totally boring season.

Yes I want Ferrari to win, but not by a second a lap, more by a tenth.

Anyway, I do think Williams was sandbagging. Tonight we will know for sure. However one thing is also clear, the Bridgestones have gained a lot of ground. NO more seconds behind the Michelins.

7. Apex

Apex Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Very entertainning sessions. While Qualifying will tell a truer story MS is simply amazing. Did you see the saves, wow!

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    No sandbagging, just Juan Taco is letting the Aussie press and their jokes get to him, plus he still has SEVERE head injuries from that cameraman incident a few weeks back, and I'm sure after he acted like such an ass with the cameraman his woman is witholding you-know-what and that's probably f 'ing with his already mush-mellon. Plus, the nose of that Williams is just SO UGLY I believe that also affects their times!! BTW, anyone else notice about halfway through the session and they were wheeling a Williams into the garage and their was a Bridgestone engineer complete with clipboard in hand very carefully scrutinizing their front wing and tires? LOL

9. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    12, SHAME on YOU !!

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Do you really want to see the title decided in France again? I rather see it go down to the wire. Suit yourself.

11. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I feel ya' I was just very pissed last year with the new points system and thought it was ridiculous that a guy with 6 wins was nailbiting at the last race with a guy that only won 1 race. Some people say it made for more exciting racing, which it did to a degree, but there needs to be MORE INCENTIVE by way of points for WINNING. IMHO WINNING should be the name of the game and should therefore be commensurately rewarded. A win should be worth more than a 2 point gap over second place. I could go off on a political rant here about how the politics of F1 is mirroring the politics of the world and we are supposed lift up mediocrity into an equal position with excellence so that every one may FEEL better ... but of course I won't.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree with you there. The new points system makes it more for a nail biter, but it is somewhat unfair. Supports the Rosberg model of WC driving, which I so totally hate (IMHO one of the most undeserving WC of all times).

But before I cry foul about a lame season opening, let's wait and see the real strength of the Williams tonight. Also I'm just waiting for the first engine to collapse in qualifying and that car go ten positions back. Finally I can see some smoking engines during the race.

So it ain't over till the flag drops. This season probably more true than in previous ones.

PS: Can't get over that Renault, isn't that the most amazing F1 car you have seen in a long time? Like a woman on wheels. So totally gorgeous.

13. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Agreed, but the fact that they totally scrapped their radical degree V from last years spells that there could be trouble now because they are starting from scratch again. Hobbes (I think) made a good point last night.. you don't radically CHANGE something UNLESS there are problems.

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Where are you finding the lap times/standings?

15. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    I don't get SPEED where I am, so I go to www.formula1.com or F1-Live.com

Hope this helps.

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I think we will be for a very boring season. Whether or not williams was sandbaging, you just know that Pablos car will be te test car for the entire yr. Im sure the 2M a yr frank is paying him really hurts, and frank is testing a new car at his expense....watch out for Ralfy if anything......As for Kimi, at least his still young, and he'll have a good car next yr. Watch for Renualt this yr, my perdiction !!

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Thanks!!

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have a sneeking suspicion that Ferrari is the one holding back..............

19. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan

I've had that same feeling too. I think they're worried about the repercussions of another totally dominant season.

Or, I could be totally wrong; Just a feeling on my part.

JMJ

20. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J

Let's all hope so !!

21. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    i think williams is holding back, but regardless, MS and RB were smokin!! Forza Ferrari!!

22. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    I want to be board to tears. I want Ferrari to demolish the competition. I dont care. I dont want it to go down to the wire. I want Ferrari to demolish and bury them early. Lets have a slaughter!!

Let there be competition with breaking his record again. Let MS have find sport in lapping the entire field. That would be a nice dream!

23. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'd be suprised if too much sandbagging was going on......as tire choice and race setup is pretty much determined during fridays practice sessions....sandbagging will hurt that. I know this is a big call, but I really think Ferrari may be that much better than the rest of the field.

24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Anyone notice that MS is 3 full seconds faster than last years fastest laps! and Rubens only 0.1 behind.

So much for the 1 engine rule slowing things down!

25. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I would have to agree with that one, you would figure that the reduced # of rear wing elements and the new engine rule would have slowed things down.

One thing is for sure the times being turned in winter testing were not a fluke and that the tire makers have steped up there game big time.

BTW 14 cars were under the old track record in yesterdays 2nd session.