TR part: What is it and why does it 'whir'? | FerrariChat

TR part: What is it and why does it 'whir'?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Boxer12, Mar 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    I noticed this ignition part, there is two of them, (located behind wheel well on passenger side) that was making a whirring sound, like an elec motor, after shutting down engine. I can cut battery and it continues for a bit even then. What is it? Why does it whir? Sign of imminent engine bay combustion? Just curious... Jim

2. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Just a guess but I wrestling with something similar on my TR. I think its your headligh pop up motor cycling the headlights down. Of course when they are not up there is no evidence of them moving and the motor is either not supposed to do this or its freewheeling.

Another possibility is something to do with the front mounted a/c?

3. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Hmm. trying to get better pics posted.

4. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    that's better : )

5. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

What are you taking a picture of? It is not clear??

The only thing that would make noise is probably the rad fans.

Please give more info. Control units and stuff is under the right hand side..

6. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Hmm. why would that be located in the engine bay? Also, I didn't have my headlights up. What do you think now?

7. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    this is low in the engine bay, behind the right/passenger side rear wheel. Look past the support post. there are two black boxes, about 2"x6"x8" side by side. I have the flashlight on the top of one. Make it any clearer?

8. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    PS-It is definately not the radiator fans, which are in a diff location on this '91 TR.

9. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Any clearer?

10. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Is this picture turned 90 degrees?

If it is behind the REAR passenger wheel, then, I would guess it is the charcoal canisters. I have the engine out of my TR, and that is what I see there.

11. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Hank, the pic is actually not turned, as you see the hood latch is lower rt, where it is when standing behind the car. The camera is at a bit of an ange. Charcoal element? Why would those whir?

12. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Jim: You are looking down at it. If you turn the picture 90 deg counter-clockwise, it may show better.

There are 2 cannisters. The are run from the vacuum of the engine, to remove fuel vapors. If the engine produces a neg vacuum, then it wil take a little time for the vacuum to come back to zero, when the engine is shut off.......this is where I think the hissing sound is coming from, after the engine is shut down.

13. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Yes, the pic is standing above it. Doesf this help?. I could actually touch it and feel the whirring. It didn't sound like an air or gas release.

14. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Oops. you said counter. How bout this? Note the back of the tail light bulb (connections) for reference.

15. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    #15 henryk, Mar 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a picture of the cannisters, from the back, with bumper off. They are attached to the back panel of the rear wheel housing. Is this it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Hank, yes, that is what I am talking about. So, nothing to worry about then? (Thanks for your input, as always)..Hey, how is the service coming along? I haven't been following the site for a while. Jim

17. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Jim: Service is coming, but slow, due to the weather. I can't install the engine into the car until it gets warmer, so I am in no hurry with the major.......most of it is already done.

Hank

18. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    BTW: There are one-way check valves on the cannisters. You may just want to check those.............if you have NOTHING better to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Hank, Fair weather must be on its way my friend! Keep up the good work and thanks for the advice. Maybe I will have a day with NOTHING to do sometime this year....(I still haven't had my seat belt recall work done yet, but I can't do that myself) Get your car together, we can hook up in Chicago some day soon and catch a ball game and cruise Lake Shore. : ) Jim

20. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Jim: I visit family in Chicago........Lisle,Ill.........only a few miles from Continental Auto. I assume that that is where you would take your car for the recall? They did mine. Maybe we can connect.

This weekend I will be removing the leaky radiator, from the Boxer. I am hoping to get it running soon........I would like to take it to Lisle at Easter time.

Glad I can help.

Hank