NAPA Auto parts going downhill? | FerrariChat

NAPA Auto parts going downhill?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Horsefly, Mar 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I stopped by NAPA today to buy a manifold heater hose fitting for my '95 GMC truck. I figured that NAPA would be better than the OEM part. Sure enough, they had the part and I was ready to buy. But when I looked at the fitting inside the package, there was a little silver sticker attached to it that said "TAWAN"!!! No, that's not a typo on my part. Apparently the parts were made in TAIWAN and they couldn't even print the sticker correctly. I told the counter people that NAPA use to make good parts and that I wasn't going to put cheap Taiwan parts on my American made vehicle. I'm really disgusted by this. It seems that every time you turn around, the cheap garbage made in the Orient is worming its way into the American system. Of course if it weren't for the greedy American companies trying to buy something for "a little bit cheaper" and making a "little more profit" then this wouldn't be happening. Very sad. Remember when America didn't have to rely upon giant barges full of cheap made garbage in order to keep our country going?

2. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    hey Arlie--

I spent the better part of 7 years working at a "mom and pop" auto parts store, that prides itself on being the best. We always used brand name, and we were the experts in the area. You would be surprised at how many parts from American Manufacturers are made elsewhere. Also, Napa and Carquest are the Kings of re-boxing. They have contracts Wix and other companies to use their "lesser" product. I have seen some many changes in the AP biz over the last 15 years, it is ming-boggling.

I know your pain.

r