WAY off topic... Chris-Craft Boats > | FerrariChat

WAY off topic... Chris-Craft Boats >

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by CarlDog, Mar 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarlDog

CarlDog Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Southern NH
    Full Name:
    David
    A friend of mine just purchased a Chris-Craft boat to keep at Lake Winnipesaukee up here in NH and he asked if I wanted to come by and check her out while I was working in Alton today. I was thinking a fiberglass lux boat and what I saw was to me, even more amazing. Jay wasn't there when I arrived because he was called out for a trouble call, so his wife took me into the garage. It was wood, chrome, dual exhaust and absolutely stunning piece of machinery. I was astounded just to be in the room with this thing. In past and present we all know that once and a while ladies or a product or piece of machinery grabs the heart like nothing else - like the true beauty of the Pontiac Aztec(just kidding). I have seen these boats in photo and rarely on the lake but there is something great about being so close to a boat of this caliber. His wife did not know the specs or model but it was exactly what I would want in a boat. She did say that it sounded unreal when they picked it up in S. Carolina.

It's all about passion right ? A Ferrari, a Cobra, one of these boats, a lake house (sigh), would make my life complete.

Have any of you Ferrari Chat Members ever had an old wooden Chris-Craft because if you have or do I would love to see some pictures and/or hear some stories about the adventures. Of course I should go to Chris-Craft.com but I want to hear what this community has to offer. What an awesome boat ! I am jaded.

Again, WAY off topic.

Regards to all,

David Carlberg

2. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Speaking of Cobras, Chris Craft made a speedboat called the Cobra and it is a very rare and desirable classic. There are several interesting web sites about the old mahogany classic boats. And not all the old wooden boats were made by Chris Craft. A few months ago, I saw a 1958 vintage cruiser boat for sale by the roadside at my hometown. It was also wood and was powered by a Dodge V8 if I remember correctly. This boat needed work because there were a couple of holes in the hull. It wasn't as vintage looking as some of the older 1940s Chris Crafts, but more like the 50s cruiser that it was. If you like classic boats, don't forget the fiberglass boats from the late 50s and early 60s. Try www.fiberglassics.com . Some of those cool old boats are lying around just waiting for an offer. About 2 years ago, I saw a 1971 foot vintage tri-hull Caravelle boat (old Arkansas company) sitting in the lot of a local Salvation Army donation center and store. I stopped and asked if it was for sale. For $100, it was mine. Even though it was of 70s vintage, it looked more like a 50s design. Another future project.

3. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    In 1986 my dad purchased a 1966 Chris Craft 57 foot power boat. The thing was beautiful, but cost a fortune to maintain. His boat was the nicest 57 connie I have ever since.

Ken

4. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Talk to a Marine Surveyor and/or BOAT/US before you consider buying a Chris-Craft. They unfortunately made a lot of "sinkers" due to quality issues starting around the 70's/80's timeframe. This was a shock to the boat owning community due to their good name prior to that time.

Kind Regards, Chris