Best Value for a Ferrari | FerrariChat

Best Value for a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ccantrell, Mar 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ccantrell

ccantrell Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Crossville, IL
    Full Name:
    Chris Cantrell
    Hi,

I have been hearing a lot of people say Fcars - specifically 355's are in the dumps lately. If you where looking for a car to pleasure drive on the weekends for 1 to 2 years, what would be the best car to buy and not loose tremendous base value on? 50 - 60K 348 or 70 - 90K 355? Looking at SCM, Cavallino, and ebay :(, it seems hard to determine what normal and what is not.

Thanks!
    -chris

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'd buy a boxer; its in the same price range, its a 12, its more exotic, its more fun to drive and its fully depreciated. Or, if you want an "investment," try to find a 250 pf coupe that somebody has already sunk big money into; if bought at the right price, and without the need to sink more dollars into the car, it can only go up in value.

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I'd be very cautious about buying ANY car and think of it as an investment. Buy it because you like the way it looks, drives, and makes you feel. That's the best investment of all. Testarossas have come WAY down recently - that would be a fun "weekend" car.

4. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I agree, the best bang for the buck is a Testarossa....they are comfortable, somewhat modern, powerful, and relatively inexpensive. They may depreciate a bit more, but I think they have for the most part suffered their depreciation. The Boxer is more expensive and it too has depreciated fully...but you buy a Ferrari not as investment but as a toy and a hobby, and because you love the car. I loved my daytona so much that I turned down 450,000 for it in 1989. I still love it, but had I sold it, I could have bought three to replace it.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Funny, I almost did this about 3 - 4 years ago. Garry Roberts had a 1960 white PF coupe that was the first Ferrari sold in Japan. Very interesting and complete, one-owner car. He was asking, I think, $60k for it with the toolkit or $50k without the toolkit. $10k for a toolkit! Man oh man.

I'm not sure what happened to the car. I heard that Garry got out of the bidness and either Shaughnessy or Randy Simon brokered the car. I wonder where it is now?

Dr "Misty Eyed" Tax

6. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Depending on what type of car interests you, my suggestion would be the 308/328 body style. Great looking cars that appear to hold their value really well.

Just my $.02

7. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I also think the Boxer is the best value in a ferrari right now. I'm looking at 512 BBi's for around $65K.

8. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

#8 Bryan, Mar 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    NO Ferrari that was produced in the thousands will ever be a good investment. 355s are "in the dumps" (a relative term) because the 360 has been out for several years. 348s did the same when the 355 came out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. RNOODLE

RNOODLE Rookie

Dec 11, 2003
    Saratoga, California
    Full Name:
    Frank Richard Noodleman
    This is a lot of v-12 for not a lot of money and they are fully depreciated. Not as modern as the later cars but plenty of visceral grunt. It is also mechanically straightforward and relatively stout. I have one (for sale at around $65,000) and can highly recommend it. I have also had a 99 Euro 550 - more powerful more creature comforts but more expensive and temperamental. Also, the 550 is still actively depreciating.

10. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    RNoodle: notice you are hanging onto the boxer, though. right?