New Maserati Spyder owner... | FerrariChat

New Maserati Spyder owner...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by LWR550, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    I've just picked up my new '04 model Cambiocorsa Spyder... I could use some help from the group.

Overall, I'm happy, but I have a few niggles and wondered if they are common and whether there's a known fix.

- On cornering, the roof/windscreen seems to flex and makes a cracking/rattling noise. Back to the dealer or apply some silicon spray?

- The fan makes a loud intermittent whirring noise, turning on/off every 2 seconds. Again is this normal?

Cambiocorsa shift is good - not as slow/jerky as some reports. Body roll is a little odd... it seems to roll more than expected leaving you a little less confident about placing it in corners... I'm sure there's a ton of grip there, but I'm a little nervous! Any body else notice this?

Thanks,

LWR

2. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    On the Spyder I noticed there is no snap type latch, I guess they took it away as convenience feature but I have always like that snapping sound to make me feel as the top is tightly secured. How does the front lock? Do you hear much wind noise thru it?
    Have read reviews that it takes a little while to develop confidence in corning but that the car is great at it, Just a different feel of what we were use to. Does your car have the Skyhook? I should have my 04 Spyder in about two weeks I will check these problems out. Anyway good luck with your car

3. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    We have a 2002 Spyder and don't have either of the two problems you described. Sounds like the dealer should look at the car to resolve.

Have fun with your Spyder!

Brad

4. Illinoisspyder

Feb 10, 2004
    I am also the new owner of a 2002 Spyder. Only have driven it about 150 miles so far, but the top and shifting seem fine. I had a 2003 BMW Z4 that had the auto top and they seem about the same in wind noise. My biggest challenge is learning the navigation system. Overall I love the car so far.

5. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Is this your first car with Navigation system? I know its tough to learn if you are not use to GPS, I had just started to master the system in my 2002 M3 when I traded it in for my new Spyder. So was hoping this one would not take me as long

6. Illinoisspyder

Feb 10, 2004
    I have used GPS in small airplanes and have owned a handheld GPS for about 7 years.

I just think it is not all that user friendly.

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    We've found, at least in our area, that the nav system works better if addresses are entered as located in "unincorporated" locales.

The nav/radio/hvac controls don't seem intuitive to me, but I'm starting to get the hang of them. Not sure I'd bother with nav next time, I really don't need it - it's more of a novelty.

8. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    We've had nav in our 2001 Lexus 430 since it was new and also have used/owned various handheld and portable auto units over the last few years.

The Maserati version goes beyond useless -- it's actually the only feature of the car that truly annoys me. The entire system makes Mercedes I-Drive look like an attractive alternative...

Brad

9. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
    Agreed THe navi is otugh to ue and renders the cd useless, and yes the BMW I-drive on the 7 series is much more intuitive than the Maserati console for navigating the car

10. propaganda

propaganda Rookie

Oct 1, 2003
    There is a lot of body roll in the 4200 spyder/coupe, certainly compared to my Porsche Boxter and Lotus Elise, but there is little or no understeer to speak of IMHO, so the car will go where it is pointed. Its just not as flat in the corners - you just get used to the roll.