You Can't Take Them With You... | FerrariChat

You Can't Take Them With You...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 134282, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Death is a strange thing; i've seen a few threads lately that concern cars with obscenely low mileage, cars that won't be driven in the rain and cars that are acquired strictly from an investment point of view.

You can't take them with you, folks.

When you go, when it's your time, there will be no warning. There will be no last chance to drive it. If there is an afterlife, if sure as hell doesn't come with garages, car covers, lifts, zymol, license plate frames or any of that other crap... Life is not about the office; life is not about the almight dollar... Life is what you make it...

In life, if you've secured such a dream as to own a Ferrari, you should be out driving it, every chance you get... There are plenty of stories on this board of Ferraris that get driven regularly and almost NEVER HAVE MAINTENANCE ISSUES. That's the brilliance behind Ferraris. They look like show cars; they look and sound and feel like racecars; but they're made to be DRIVEN. They don't melt in the rain, they don't perform in any ill manner when graced with dust or rock chips or road salt or any of that other crap...

Last weekend, Gus had his 328 up on Bruce's lift and as i closely inspected the front end, i saw white marks all over the place; all different shapes and sizes... Every white mark was an indication of a rock chip or some form of wear and tear... It was beautiful... That car gets driven... Gus' 328 is a happy 328; and so is Gus...

There's an F50 in New Orleans with over 50,000 miles; yes, fifty thousand miles... There's an NNO close to the West Coast with over 10,000 miles... There's a boxer somewhere in this country with almost 200,000 miles... These are happy Ferraris; Ferraris used as they were meant; Ferraris whose owners go to bed at night, smiling...

No amount of money (or lack thereof) will reunite you with your Ferrari(s) once you're gone. Drive them now, while you have the chance. Just my lowly advice.

You can't take them with you when you're gone.

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    NNO,

While we each have the right to do with as we please with items in our possession, fully agree that Fcars seem to work better, and more reliably, when used often and in the way they were intended. Enzo was not an artist looking to produce museum pieces. He had high performance cars constructed for driving. Why save the car for the next guy?

Someone here on Fchat so eloquently put it "I have a beautiful wife, but don't 'enjoy' her. Saving her for the next guy."

Prefer what Fchat member Doody says, “Drive it like you stole it.”

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Carb,

I agree with your sentiment, and do run my car all the time. However, you should wait until you're paying the maintenance bills on a Fcar before you lecture others on how to enjoy their cars. You (and Jordan) are in a rather unique position relative to driving joy/ownership responsibilities balances of a Ferrari.

4. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Tillman,

While your comments were not directed at me, feel the need to comment.

>>>....However, you should wait until you're paying the maintenance bills on a Fcar before you lecture others on how to enjoy their cars.<<<

IMHO if you have ANYTHING in your possession and can't afford to properly upkeep it/them, then perhaps they are better in someone else’s possession? Spending every last dime you have on a Ferrari without making sure you can afford to maintain it is a STUPID move. What ever happened to personal responsibility, accountability and responsibility? Yes, i said STUPID and no, am not wearing a Nomex suit right now.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

5. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I agree these cars are fun to drive,however I am one of those guy's that never drive in the rain and only put 1500 miles a year on my F car. I didn't by my car for transportation or an investment but as another cool toy to enjoy when time permits, and I do . For me my Ferrari is a great car ,but is only a small percent of my life.I may take her out every other sun for a 100 miles or so and enjoy the open road ,or take my motorcycle for a few hrs at a time and that makes me happy.We all have our thing!

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I don't think we're in disagreement, Steven.

7. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Well said, Glen.
    Everyone is right....

8. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I am in this catagory, maybe a few more miles a year. For some strange reason, I get just as much pleasure looking at my 308 in my garage as I do driving it.

9. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Been toying with driving our Mas coupe across the US - mid-atlantic to Sebring to Palm Springs and back. Doesn't make any sense at all, but maybe that's a reason to do it.

"IMHO if you have ANYTHING in your possession and can't afford to properly upkeep it/them, then perhaps they are better in someone else’s possession? Spending every last dime you have on a Ferrari without making sure you can afford to maintain it is a STUPID move. What ever happened to personal responsibility, accountability and responsibility?"

There's a whole lotta truth to this. I often wonder whether a lot (but not all)of the unhappiness with Ferrari voiced on this board results from should have known better "surprise" at what it costs to maintain very high performance, relatively limited production cars.

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Tillman AND WCH,

Tillman: Yes, we seem to be in agreement :)

WCH: While due diligence is in order (PPI) when getting a used Fcar, it is also usually wise to keep $5k liquid for "surprises". For me, the great thing with the Euro 1985 308GTS here is the ease of procuring parts and updating the car (new lights, emblems, aligning the doors, fluids, new bolts, paint/wax rituals, etc). It is like a big fun toy i can play with both on the road and in the garage. Naturally these things are inexpensive (relatively).

When it came to getting the 60k done (at 57k technically), nothing was left to chance. Planned for $4.5k, was more due to desiring a totally (eh hem) anal go through. About $2.5 of the total bill really was not "necessary" per se, but that extra $$$ went a LONG way to insuring the cars reliability and longevity.

End result: (knocking on wood) She has NEVER, EVER, let me down EVER! No dead battery, no starting problems at -10C, 15C or 30C. Only one small glitch ($200 headlight motor replacement), but we all know the diodes in the 308 headlight motors are dying, and $200 is a pittance.

Guess my point here is that proper upkeep and financial planning accordingly is key. Naturally these cars NEED to have some miles put on them to insure their "mechanical happiness".

My apologies for ranting here, yet i HATE seeing greats cars that ARE capable of being operated just sitting for years like/as museum pieces.

Enjoy the Music ("Born To Run" by Bruce Springsteen),

Steven R. Rochlin

"In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway American dream
    At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines
    Sprung from cages out on highway 9,
    Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line
    Baby this town rips the bones from your back
    It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
    We gotta get out while we're young

`Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend
    I want to guard your dreams and visions
    Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims
    and strap your hands across my engines
    Together we could break this trap
    We'll run till we drop, baby we'll never go back
    Will you walk with me out on the wire
    `Cause baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider
    But I gotta find out how it feels
    I want to know if love is wild
    girl I want to know if love is real

Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard
    The girls comb their hair in rearview mirrors
    And the boys try to look so hard
    The amusement park rises bold and stark
    Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist
    I wanna die with you Wendy on the streets tonight
    In an everlasting kiss

The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive
    Everybody's out on the run tonight
    but there's no place left to hide
    Together Wendy we'll live with the sadness
    I'll love you with all the madness in my soul
    Someday girl I don't know when
    we're gonna get to that place
    Where we really want to go
    and we'll walk in the sun
    But till then tramps like us
    Baby we were born to run"

11. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I agree with both points of view i certainly try and drive mine whenever possible,I do not really take it out when it is raining but if it happens to rain whilst out to bad no prob with that.As for the maintenance issues I do not even think about as Steven says if you cannot afford it /will not then perhaps you are not the person to own one on the other hand it"s yours and you can do as you please with it.
    Best regards
    Dave McGuire

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    So that's what all that mumbling in about! Hey, this guy is a poet and doesn't even know it.

Dr "Ticked Off At Having to Work on a Beautiful Day" Tax

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I agree with NNO and believe that a little "exercise" makes for a healthy car and driver ;)

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Tillman, i can't argue with you there; certainly you're right about that...

However, i do know (sort of) what it's like, on a smaller scale, to have a $1,000 beater/daily driver/generic mode of transportation that i couldn't afford to keep (oil leak, new brakes, new tires, even gas, at times!), yet i still drove it like i stole it... i enjoyed driving it when i could afford to put gas in it more than i enjoyed the fact that it actually kept me from having to walk to work... i can count, on more than one hand, the times i've spent "grocery" money on gas, just so i could drive; by the end of week i'd be starving, but hell, i was a few pounds lighter and i didn't miss out on any driving...

i understand that some people buy them ONLY AS recreational, part time toys and i can respect that; my post was meant for those folks who, for example, lament at a ruined day, as they gaze out the window, watching the rain fall down... Don't let the small things ruin it for you; enjoy it while you can... That's all i was really trying to get at...

With all the numbers i've seen here on this board, i have a somewhat accurate, empathetic view of what the cost of a Ferrari and its maintenance is... i don't want anyone to think i'm saying, "oh, don't be such a cheap bastard, go drive the damn thing!", i'm just trying to say that rock chips and rain aren't the end of the world and they certainly shouldn't keep people from enjoying themselves... That's all... i sure as hell hope i didn't offend anyone or seem like i was on a high horse with my initial post; that definitely wasn't my intention...

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Actually, I've heard of several stories of people being buried in their Ferraris. Richard Pietruska has a cartoon to that effect in his book "Fantastico Ferrari Fever"!

16. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I have a friend who told me he's worked out a deal with the devil so he can take his car with him. Seems a bit risky.

17. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

He's in for a surprise...all Ferraris go to heaven (owners are a different matter)...God and Enzo see to that.

18. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I'm taking mine with me!

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, but in the ground is as far as they'll go... Might as well RUN them into the ground before you, yourself are in the ground... :)

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    LMAO, i have that book, had it forever near as i can remember..... really funny in a twisted fcar lover way.... memories lol

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    There is a story either somewhere on FChat or on Tom Yang's site about an elderly woman being buried in her '63 330 Amarica. I haven't seen the story in a while but if someone can post a link, its a fun read.

Art S. 7919

PS. I'm enjoying everyone's comments, I've put about 1500 miles on my car since January (its not a daily driver but I'm doing the best I can).

22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you own multiple cars, it's hard to put too many miles on unless you drive constantly. If you own five cars and you drive 10,000 miles/year, divided up equally among the cars, that's only 2,000 miles/year/car.

Not that I would know anyone who owns five cars <cough, cough>

23. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a 308 and put about 4000 a year on it. Don't drive it in the rain..at least not on purpose although I have been caught in it a few times. My car gets dirty for a ferrari but I don't want it getting down right sloppy by driving it in the rain. I want it to last a long time so I drive it often weather permitting and keep it out of bad weather to keep the body in as good of shape as possible. I can say that it have been a very reliable car.

24. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Don I completely agree. Though I don't own a Ferrari yet, I constantly hear other people bashing some cars that I own being driven only 3400 miles in 11 months. THey always preach to me how it is a "car meant to be driven." Well I don't have the time to drive them.

Before people accuse me of having all garage queens, I put 68K miles on a lexus in one year commuting from los angeles to seattle almost every weekend :D

25. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That's hot stuff... When i had my Saturn, i was putting 1,000 on it, every week... i enjoyed it while i had it...