[DFW] Where to get a 328 K&N filter | FerrariChat

[DFW] Where to get a 328 K&N filter

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I need a new filter. Anyone have a local lead on the K&N, or at a minimum the stock filter? I'm sure Norwoods has one, but I'd love to hear that Pepboys carries them or something similar.

Thanks
    T

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think the Pep Boy places could at least order it for you. When I got mine I shopped around and found internet stores selling the correct model for $30 less than the Ferrari shops.

Here's a good thread about the 328 & K&N. The part number and several retail places are listed...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/251280/121976.html

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  4. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    I know you guys are taking about using a setup like this right? [​IMG] and not just a "stock" replacement filter. An exposed conical air filter(K&N and other brands) is where you get the horsepower gains. Not just replacing the "square" stock filter with a K&N. They do flow a little better, but the "Cone" filter systems are the way to go! I have one on ALL my cars! I even put a cheep APC brand Cone filter [​IMG] on a few of my cars and 4 of my friends cars just to get the properties of the open air filter for maximum horsepower gains for the motor. It may require making a few Mods to mount the cone or position it in a different location. I have even made new piping to locate the cone in a better location for colder air but YOU CAN FEEL THE DIFFERENCE when you go with a "Cone"!

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I personally don't want to mod the 328 engine bay appearance this much. I would of done a cone on my BMW, but it's against Stock autocross rules. The K&N gives a little 10 hp jump and gives you a filter that will last a LONG time. If we wanted major HP, we would just get a Z06. :)

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Rob, do you still autocross?

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, according to my records I last AX'd in 2002, although my last serious year was 2001...

http://www.chicksdigitracing.com/rob2001.htm

I started club racing and it has all gone down hill since then. I think AX made me a much better club racer, but not much fun to be out there all day for six 40 second runs.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Hey Tillman, whats wrong, you're not getting enough dirt in your engine? :D

9. psychocabbage

psychocabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Sugarland - Katy
    Full Name:
    psychocabbage
    why are you wanting the K&N filter? Just curious.. I have done some testing on dynos with filters and find that K&N and other aftermarket filters (Holley, Accel, Amsoil) do not make or add to horsepower when compared to paper element filters.. they are reuseable and they will filter more.. but they are not a source of power.. I will state that this is regarding panel filters and not cone filters..

10. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    There must be a reason why all the professionals use K&N filters.

11. psychocabbage

psychocabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Sugarland - Katy
    Full Name:
    psychocabbage
    conical filters yes.. conical filters will increase the surface area..

panel filters no.. surface area is not increased... air filtration is increased, thus the air is more restriced thus the power is restricted..

Often times "professionals" dont worry about 1% of horsepower if they can gain $ from using the product... OR... as in other racing setups, they "say" they use the product but dont.. This is often the case in some of the racing I have been a part of (bicycling)...

I found that dyno time and running my own tests are what make me feel better about my applications and results...

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I was looking for this before the dyno run. I wanted to run the stock filter and the K&N back to back. There were interesting numbers at the last dyno day that I wanted to try to replicate

13. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I know people who've done dyno runs with the K&N on, and with no filter at all, and found the K&N to be so good, the different HP results between the two setups were extremely close.

14. psychocabbage

psychocabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Sugarland - Katy
    Full Name:
    psychocabbage

In my tests (2 sets of about 20 total pulls on two different days testing the same items).. which were done withing minutes of eachother (keep in mind the type of engine, its intake and how its computer deals with it all come into play) found that at least for my car (2002 Z28) I was losing 3rwhp with K&N, NO Filter, and any other aftermarket filter. The stock paper filter is what was giving me the most power..

Now I am thinking that perhaps in carburated or speed density controlled cars, perhaps other elements or no filter would be best..

My car runs off of a MAF reading which will adjust the timing accordingly..

15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    There's no MAF sensor in the K-jetronics. Just good old 'mechanical' injection. More air==more fuel in a pretty much linear relationship, and the timing has nothing to do with fuel delivery. The last dyno day showed this behaviour on back to back runs:

Rob Lay's 1986 328 GTS 210.8 hp (stock air filter), 228.4 (new K&N air filter).

and I was trying to (dis)prove the performance gain. Guess it'll have to wait for a while.

16. psychocabbage

psychocabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Sugarland - Katy
    Full Name:
    psychocabbage
    yeah.. thats what I was thinking.. Seems like the K-jet likes that setup then...

With my particular car, it didnt though.. I typically rent dynos for the hour and just test what I want that way I feel better with the info since I am the one testing...

I did a test on Amsoil Series 2000 synthetic lubes and found no gain as well..

I recently found out a friend of mine in Humble got a dyno at his shop.. Looks like I may get some more dyno time in the near future..

on a side note - do you take your car to any drag strips or scca solo events?

17. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    Tillman,

Thanks for the information. That is exactly the information I was wanting to see.

Thanks again,
    Robert Mann

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Wasn't quite a 18 HP gain, but still very good IMHO...

- 218.8 hp 186.0 torque (stock air filter)
    - 228.4 hp 190.4 torque (K&N air filter)

19. psychocabbage

psychocabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Sugarland - Katy
    Full Name:
    psychocabbage

actually since those are rwhp gains, its quite possibly 18hp gain... dont forget parasitic drivetrain loss...