Help! My 360's fuel light comes on - then the check engine light comes on? | FerrariChat

Help! My 360's fuel light comes on - then the check engine light comes on?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by XSSSIVE, Mar 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I just purchased a 2000 360 Coupe with only 2788 miles from Scottsdale Ferrari. I take the car for a drive and the fuel light comes on (I was low on fuel), then the check engine light starts flashing. The engine seams to have switched into a slow mode. I pulled over at a gas station and figured that the low fuel put the car into this mode. I filled the tank up and tried it again. The check engine light is still on (but not flashing)and the engine is now running normal. The fuel gauge took 10 minutes just to read half full.

Any ideas on my problem? I live in Reno, NV and it wouldn't make sence to have it shipped back to Scottsdale.

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i am not a fcar owner, BUT! there have been threads posted with similar problems in the past. perhaps you can get it home, dissconnect the battery and see if you can reset the computer and hope the light goes out . it may have stored a code in the memory, perhaps there was trash in the fuel tank and it picked it up due to the low fuel level. glad to read about your car purchase, perhaps its just needs to be driven to sort it out.( been sitting for sale awhile maybe???) there are many great folks here i am sure others better than i can help you. best wishes, michael

3. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    The flashing ck eng. light is a serious problem that caused the car to go into "limp home" mode. When this happens you should turn off the battery with the switch in the luggage compartment and then turn it back on in a few minutes. If you are lucky the car will now drive normal. You have to get it back to the dealer. Most likely an engine computer failure. My main ECU's were finally replaced after several attempts to fix "other" things.

Good luck. Eventually it will be sorted out and you can enjoy the car.

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Geez! Can't believe it. The poor guy just gets his car, and now has to take it back to the dealer to sort out the check engine light problem. What a bummer!! :(

5. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Problem solved!!!!!!!!!! Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are great.

It must have been the fuel. I fueled up the car and turned the battery off for a few minutes. No more check engine light.

6. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thats great to hear ( read? )......... anyway how about some pics of your car!!!! grin! grin!..... have a great weekend and enjoy it for us!!!

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Lovely to hear! Now fill out your profile and post some pics of that bad boy. :D

8. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Great ... I hope it is not the case, BUT it may come back on. This problem occured on my car the first weekend after I bought it, and it was brand new. My ck eng. light seemed to return the third or fourth time the car was cycled to warm from a completely cold start.

Your car has very low miles for a 2000, so it is possible that this problem was not sorted out by the previous owner.

9. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    You will need to have your 360 "SD2'd". The computers do re-learn themselves after battery is disconnected. Eventually, the re-learning
    parameters degrade to the point where you will notice start up problems in smoothness of engine as well as fluttering idle RPM's after start up. I suggest you have the dealer "SD2" ASAP since you just pulled it off the lot. Good Luck

10. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I've read on here that the 360's are prone to problems if the fuel filler cap is not fitted correctly or tightened enough?

11. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #11 XSSSIVE, Mar 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Looks nice, I wouldn't be surprised if they charge you $90 just to talk on the phone...haha

13. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    What amazing pics! It's lovely to see the two cars together. Please post more if you have any. And what a great neighborhood you live in -- they don't mind at all that you are taking up half the road for your carnal pursuits (and we wonder where we get our bad rap from). :D Just kidding! The cars are beautiful. I'm serious about posting some more pics!

14. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #14 XSSSIVE, Mar 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's another pic.

Things don't sound good about Scottsdale Ferrari. I must say that my purchasing experience with them was horrible. From day one they treated me like s!!t. I doubt they will help with any problems I have with this car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    This is common with quite a few cars. My 2000 Mercedes CLK 430 has done this on more than one occasion. I have always been at fault. The first time (strangely enough) I had driven to Tucson from Dallas and was on my way back to Big D. Kinda freaks you out but when you hit the roadside assistance button and they tell you that the most common cause is that the cars computer triggered the light due to a loose/not completely closed gas cap, you start to relax a little bit. Then you start to feel kind of stupid.

I noticed a definite decrease in power and would assume that a 360 would cut the power more than my benz as the engine is more highly and finely tuned towards the edge than my mercedes. What happens is that the cars computer constantly checks the fuel systems pressurization. A filler cap that is not completely closed can obviously result in a low fuel pressure system. As a worst case scenario, this can result in your engine dynamically redesigning itself in fairly spectacular fashion.

Good luck with the new car!

Andrew

16. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    wow!reat pics! with 2 ferrari's the dealers should make sure the you and your cars are happy. anything less ..... find someone else. nice cars!!

17. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Glad you are ok, now. Aside from making sure your fuel cap is tight, make sure you wait for the "check OK" light to come on before starting. Cheers!

18. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    A good friend of mine had the same problem with his 360 : the cause was the filler cap not properly screwed down.

Apparently it wrecks havoc because the tank is pressurised when in use (or something like that).

Nothing worse than that. just be careful when filling up !