Chernobyl, interesting website | FerrariChat

Chernobyl, interesting website

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Etcetera, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  2. Alanmondial

Alanmondial Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Alan Butler
    Wow, that has to be one of the saddest and most amazing things I've ever seen.

3. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    That's incredible, something out of a movie.

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I do not hear much anymore about Chernobyl. It is just forgotten over here. What is interesting is that the same reactor plant that was in operation at Chernobly, are being used in other cities in Russia today.
    We hope they know what they are doing.

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    WOW that is a truly eye opening web site.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That is truly enlightening... Unreal, almost... Very sad... Uncanny...

Thanks for posting.

7. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Thanks for sharing. It certainly was devestating and still is. The dead zone will stay dead after the photographer is dead and gone.

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Absolutely chilling.

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I read a book about the disaster a few years after it occurred. In the immediate aftermath of the explosion, men volunteered to go into the "hot" water to shut down valves, leading to insane doses of radiation that killed them within hours or days. Likewise, i seem to remember someone who stayed on, whether as a still photographer or videographer, to capture images in the immediate aftermath, knowing that he was toast as a result.
    I did a quick scan on the net and could not find a reference to this photographer/videographer, but i may have the book somewhere.

Also, in passing, i noted a huge divergence in reported facts on the number of deadly exposures; some official sites claim only 30 died in the immediate aftermath, and that there were just a small handful of proven radiation sickness or thyroid cancer occurrences that could be traced to the exposure. Of course, some of the sites also lead you to anedotal and photographic evidence of Operation Crossroads, where the US detonated some serious firepower with naval officers a few hundred yards beyond the immediate perimeter.
    Not that i'm a radical on most things, but i can't forget the bull**** that still gets fed to New Yorkers about how safe the air was in the immediate aftermath of the twin towers coming down. And, that had nothing to do with radioactivity. Three Mile Island was just a passing scare. The permanence of this **** makes you wonder whether we are all crazy.

10. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
  11. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler