Forza Collectors ( I need your help) | FerrariChat

Forza Collectors ( I need your help)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by urraco, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    A few Forza Issues ago (2 or 3) , in the mail section I read a letter of a Japanese guy with a picture of his garage attached ,showing his own F40,F50 & Enzo all in red. would you please post that pic and/or more info on that man. is he MATSUDA?

2. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    The picture of which you speak is in Issue #50 Page 10. The gentlemans name is Junichiro Hiramatsu.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The Matsuda Collection is not in a garage, it's in a museum.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A big HONkin' musuem.

I've seen cars trickling out of the Matsuda collection. Comments, Wayne?

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yep.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They having trouble with utility bills, or something???

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wayne, i think Speedy was looking for a more detailed explanation as to why Matsuda's collection seems to be decreasing...

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, NNO, I think Mr. Matsuda is either ill or dead.

And like Harrah, unless the estate has funded perpetuation of the collection, it will be disbursed.

Harrah actually intentionally caused this to occur, distributing the world's largest collection of Duesenburgs back into the market.

He did challenge the city of Reno NV to build a museum, if so, they got to keep 100, or maybe 200 of the core of the collection.

That's where my personal favorite resides, the chopped up, modified, rewelded, previously 335S, now re-engined by the factory, "one of a kind"
    .....412MI (Monza/Indianapolis) 1 of 1.

I'll have to visit it, someday.

NNO you should look for the book of the Matsuda Collection, it has all the vehicles pictured, and they are almost ALL special examples of each version!
    A tribute to Mr. Matsuda's savvy, in picking them, if nothing else.

(A quiet bow, towards the East).....Farewell, Matsuda.

9. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here

The 412 MI (0744 MI) was never (to my almost certain recollection) owned by Bill Harrah. It has been in private hands as long as I can recall (since the mid-70s) and was at Cavallino this year.

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    kinda off the ferrari topic but does anyone know if matsuda owns any mclaren f1's? I know of a white, silver, silver w/red stripe, lm, and a gt all in japan. Does he own any of them?

11. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Note that this 412 engine (from 0676) was in 2 different bodies. Initially in an open-wheel car intended for Indy where it took the pole in 1958. It took third and never raced again in that body. According to Hans Tanner, this engine had been removed from the car that killed Marquis de Portago in the 1957 Mille Miglia along with several spectators, resulting in the eventual cancellation of the MM annual race.

http://www.ferrari.it/cgi-bin/fworld.dll/ferrariworld/scripts/gt/car_data.jsp?car_type=GT&CAR_ID=412_MI

Engine moved to sports car body 0744, where as Wayne points out it has been since. The barchetta site below indicates that Harrah had it for a short period of time in 1966, but as with all things Ferrari this is open to speculation. Note that it apparently went through 4 "owners" in 1966. I am wondering how many cars with 412MI engines were owned by John von Neumann. Seems that he may have had two (674 and 676/744). According to Tanner, there were at least 4 412MI engines (656, 674, 676, and 684).

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0744MI.412MI.htm

12. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    is this the book you're revering to?

Waldo
    ForzaRossa.nl

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yep, That's it! A good late night read!

Thanks Old Guy!!! I stand corrected!! I need to check out the car in Reno, for myself! Maybe after Roland's BBQ this summer.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Tha car didn't kill de Portago, he killed the car!

Skipped the last tire stop, I believe.