Talk about a deal! | FerrariChat

Talk about a deal!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by cohiba_man, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
  2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Anyone have the guts to hit Buy it Now?

Edit: guess you have to email him for approval first...

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Heh, that did cross my mind.

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I wonder if people are actually going to stay away under the guise that "if it looks too good to be true, it usually is." :confused:

5. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I wonder the ebay rules regarding improper/typos on listings. After all, they give you several chances to review an auctions info BEFORE you post. Will ebay hold him to it? Don't think they have the power.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Emailed the guy, hoping to see what is up. I've sold several cars on ebay, so maybe he'll consider me legit.

Asked if his price was screwy, or what.

I'll keep you posted.

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I hit some of his previous sales and they were all coins. COuld be a hijacked account.

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

That's my guess too. I've been seeing more and more Ebay motors ads that are scams.

9. mred

mred Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Ed B.
    The ad says that the car is located in Canada. Assuming that it is real, could the car be imported to the U.S.? Would it need to be federalized? I do not have any experience with importing cars but if the auction turns out to be legit, I might just fly up their and pick it up.
    Thanks in advance,
    ED

10. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Guys this type of ad was discussed earlier (I think also in this forum under a BMW ad); basically they take over an account with high + feedback, and then list a car.

They use preapproved bidders only and will ask for deposit money ($2K or whatever) which you will not see again.

11. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    How do they take over an account? Ie, how do they get somebody's username and password?

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

SCAM. I emailed this guy, and get back the car is in Italy. Here's the body of the email

"Good Afternoon.

Hello,First you have to know the car is available on eBay,but the bidding/buying is restricted.The reason is that I had too many problems with bidders in the past and since then I am carefully with my auctions. I think that they always like to bid but not all the time like to buy,they just play games.The auction is a buy it now one so,only one person can buy it but for that I will need a proof of his seriousity and that he is available to pay anytime.For that, you need just to be agree with my condition stated below and the car will be yours.The buy it now price includes shipping and insurance fees.1. SHIPMENT :I am currently located in Italy and the car will be shipped from here with by sea with the boat to your nearest port so please tell me what is your nearest port but due to the overwhelming numbers of offers I have recieved I will ask a 999$ deposit to seal the deal.2. PAYMENT :I'm a serious seller with experience in this field. I'm a fair trader
    with a good feedback on eBay which is the proof that l have closed a lot of successful deals.You will arrange payment through wired transfer (www.westernunion.com). All you have to do is go to www.westernunion.com and find an local agent near you were you have to go and send the funds.3. INSURANCEThe car will be insured at the delivery service and insured for the transport.4. RETURN POLICYAs soon as the car arrives, you will test the car and if it does not matches 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 7 days since the arrival date. In this case I will send you the full amount back and you will send me the car in the original crate and you don't have to pay the return shipping and insurance.If this will be ok with you just email back with your info and tell me what info you need more about the car and the transaction and you will have it.Sincerely
    hope to do the transaction.5. In the 7 days inspection perioud you decide to buy the car send the remainig balance and i will send the car's papers."
    ------------------

Listing is gone, Ebay must have caught up to it.

So, run from this one, it's a rip off.

13. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, I got the same reply, its a scam, probably on a hijacked account. If he'd put the price at $50,000CDN it could have at least seemed legitimate. Geez/.

Hello,
    First you have to know the car is available on eBay,but the bidding/buying is restricted.The reason is that I had too many problems with bidders in the past and since then I am carefully with my auctions. I think that they always like to bid but not all the time like to buy,they just play games.The auction is a buy it now one so,only one person can buy it but for that I will need a proof of his seriousity and that he is available to pay anytime.For that, you need just to be agree with my condition stated below and the car will be yours.
    The buy it now price includes shipping and insurance fees.
    1. SHIPMENT :
    I am currently located in Italy and the car will be shipped from here with by sea with the boat to your nearest port so please tell me what is your nearest port but due to the overwhelming numbers of offers I have recieved I will ask a 999$ deposit to seal the deal.
    2. PAYMENT :
    I'm a serious seller with experience in this field. I'm a fair trader with a good feedback on eBay which is the proof that l have closed a lot of successful deals.
    You will arrange payment through wired transfer (www.westernunion.com).
    All you have to do is go to www.westernunion.com and find an local agent near you were you have to go and send the funds.
    3. INSURANCE
    The car will be insured at the delivery service and insured for the transport.
    4. RETURN POLICY
    As soon as the car arrives, you will test the car and if it does not matches 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 7 days since the arrival date. In this case I will send you the full amount back and you will send me the car in the original crate and you don't have to pay the return shipping and insurance.
    If this will be ok with you just email back with your info and tell me what info you need more about the car and the transaction and you will have it.
    Sincerely hope to do the transaction.
    5. In the 7 days inspection perioud you decide to buy the car send the remainig balance and i will send the car's papers.

14. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    This guy sounds like a joke, his entire schpeil seemed so phony, makes me weary about buying things on Ebay.

MD

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Iv'e been getting false e-mails for months now asking me to click on the link provided and update my information. The link looks like the real deal, but is NOT. I have contacted E-bay and they have verified that it is a hoax for just this purpose...to get my log-in info to use for scams like this!! The problem is they seem to be powerless to stop it, and it seems that it will get much worse before it gets better!! By the way, have had the same type e-mails concerning Pay-pal.