Playing "The Waiting Game" with the SL55 | FerrariChat

Playing "The Waiting Game" with the SL55

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ghost, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Well written and humorous article from latest issue of Automobile magazine (www.automobilemag.com) on the plight of an individual playing "the waiting game" for his Mercedes SL55. Replace "Mercedes SL55" with "Ferrari 360" and it could pass for the experience of many of our own. The intent was to upload the PDF for your viewing pleasure, but unfortunately, it's too big to do so. Email me if you want a copy (or if somebody else can host it).

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I would like a copy if you would be so kind.

[email protected]

Lots of new Mini Cooper owners seem to have played the waiting game, and I would like to see if there are any similarities.

3. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Read it the day I got the magazine in the mail. Indeed a great and very interesting article that anybody who waited for a brand new 360 (or other brand new Ferrari) can probably relate to.

I actually put a deposit on an SL55 AMG back in March of 2002. I was 3rd on the waiting list at that dealership. A year later I got the call and they said they had one for me, but it was gonna run $10k over sticker. By then I was no longer even crazy about the car so I wouldn't even have paid MSRP. Plus my 360 was a month away and that would have completely overshadowed the purchase & joy of the SL55, which to me doesn't even compare.

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Sent.

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Jeff, beautiful Titanium 360. You gonna trade out of it when your 360 Spyder comes around (sniff, sniff -- a little partial to coupes myself). :( Please post some more pics.

6. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Thanks Ghost. Actually, I'll probably sell the 360 when the Spider comes in bcz the price I'd get on trade will be way too low. I love my coupe, but I love the Spider even more and am anxiously awaiting that. I debated hard whether to get Azzuro California or Grigio Alloy and eventually chose Azzuro with cream interior. Here are some pics I dug up from the archives of an Azzuro Spider and am just floored by how good the car looks in these pics -
    http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/550-barchetta-gallery/index.html

I don't have too many pics of my 360, but here are a couple that I took the day I got the call from my dealership that it arrived. These pics were taken at the dealership while it was still being prep'd.

7. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks for the article Vik. THe SL55 is an awesome car.

It was interesting to read how all the buyers at the Mercedes event were "well heeled white middle aged men wearing Prada shoes and Rolex G.M.T" and the deliverers of the car were "exhausted Mexican-American drivers."

I do not know how to cut and paste from Adobe (tried by failed), otherwise I would put the quote in. But the above renditions definitely show the class distinctions alive and well.

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Jeff, congratulations on the Spyder (even though your 360 Coupe looks outstanding!) Love the Titanium color on this model. Let us know when the Spyder arrives.

:D:D:D

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    How very cute. Great to see racisim live and kicking.

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

As one of those middle aged Prada wearing white men I am very offended at being accurately described.....heh.....oh my, oh my, how can I complain and re-dress this terrible grievance ?

Omar my friend...please...save it for the Democrat's election commitee meetings. There was nothing racist there at all. If anything....it perhaps undermines the plight of those recent Mexican-American immmigrants to the US or praises their work ethic as being above ours. It depends on your agenda I guess.................

Had it read "the white pot bellied, t-shirt wearing, sweaty ass-crack showing, chewing tobacco eating truck driver delivering the car to a wealthy Piaget wearing Mexican American student, dressed in the latest fashions from Armani" would you have been so vocal ? My description of the truck driver was not racist either.

No offense meant my friend....but it's a really big stretch.....and I'm not talking about the view of the white truck drivers backside either.

Anyways....I'll buy this magazine today and read the article...seems like some MB stores in the US are pulling stunts not unlike what I have read about F-cars. We never did this stuff at our MB store in the 7 years I worked there....the integrity of the list was everything....and I've been offered $10K in a brown paper bag at times as well.....I didn't take it.

11. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    But what if it was $10K in a PRADA bag? Me thinks you'd change your tune, as the bag would then match your shoes.