Novitec's Supercharged 360 (Forza 360 Tuner #2) | FerrariChat

Novitec's Supercharged 360 (Forza 360 Tuner #2)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Brian C. Stradale, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I really like Novitec's attitude. They went with supercharger only when they found a small one... and then they kept the boost low enough that they wouldn't need to open the engine to reduce the compression. They are concerned with keeping the heat down in the engine compartment. And the finished look in the engine compartment is fabulous.

Sport: 7psi boost, 555bhp, 415lb-ft, 0-62 3.9s
    Supersport: 9psi boost, 606bhp, 454lb-ft, 0-62 3.7s

They use 100-cell cats like Imola; they use heat shielding like Imola; but don't do any fuel cooling like Imola; though they do have an Intercooler setup in the supercharger.

Thoughts?

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Super clean installation, if you didn't know what to look for you'd swear it was stock. 600HP is really where the 360 needs to be to compete in the market right now.

If I ran Ferrari I'd look at incorporating this as an option on the 360s, or at a minimum set up a relationship with tuners much the same way as AMG is related to Mercedes.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    If I ran Ferrari I'd look at incorporating this as an option on the 360s, or at a minimum set up a relationship with tuners much the same way as AMG is related to Mercedes.[/QUOTE]

Tuners? Like AMG? No, man, forget it. They must do it themselves.
    Well... maybe Michelotto.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    A bit expensive though..i thing they cost somewhere around 250 000 $

5. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Brian, do you have a link to the installed pic? I did not see one, maybe I am missing something. I have been running 7 lbs boost for a few years in my BMW and have found it to be a very relliable and productive setup. I am sure the 9# setup would be a kick but with engines and parts as dear as they are for Ferraris, for my economics, I would stick with 7#.

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Yet to receive my Forza issue (alway late). Can't wait to read about it.

7. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Sounds interesting. Seeing as Novitec is a European company, how would buyers in the US get the work done? Did the article indicate anything about that? I don't think I'd be very keen on sending my car to Europe.

8. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I just answered my own question. CEC is the US installer/distributor for Novitec. I just spoke with them, here's what I learned:

- They are installing on their first 360 at the beginning of April
    - Pricing seems steep
    - "Sport" upgrade is $48,000 (555hp, 7psi)
    - "Supersport" upgrade is $55,000 (605hp, 9psi)

Sounds like a really cool idea, but the pricing is pretty crazy.

9. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Is that engine only or the whole deal?

10. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    that is a lot of $ to install a blower

11. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Here is what the "Supersport" and "Sport" packages include (posted from the Novitec website):

F1 360 02 NOVITEC SUPERSPORT Bi-compressor
    including 2 supercharger with modified turbine-blades and separated oil-circuit, modified induction tract complete heat-insulated, watercooled intercoolers with additional watercoolers, pumps, reinforced v-ripped belts with dynamic belttensioners, injectors, modified motronic in combination with NOVITEC- tectronic and Carbon airfilter-housing.
    performance: 446 kw (606 hp) / 8600 rpm
    max. boost-pressure: 0.61 bar (9 psi)
    max. torque: 615 Nm / 6250 rpm (456 lb ft)
    Vmax: 344 km/h (in combination with NOVITEC gear-ratio)
    0 - 100 km/h: 3.7 sec

F1 360 05 NOVITEC SPORT Bi-compressor
    including 2 supercharger with separated oil-circuit, modified induction tract complete heat insulated, watercooled intercoolers with additional watercoolers, pumps, reinforced v-ripped belts with dynamic belt-tensioners, injectors, modified motronic in combination with Novitec-tectronic and Carbon airfilter-housing.
    performance: 408 kw (555 hp) / 8100 rpm
    max. boost: 0.48 bar (7 psi)
    max. torque: 562 Nm / 6250 rpm (417 lb ft)
    Vmax: 335 km/h (in combination with NOVITEC gear-ratio)
    0 - 100 km/h: 3.9 sec

Too much money for the extra HP, in my opinion. It would be cool to have a 360 that could slay just about anything, however. Certainly could surprise some other cars, that's for sure. But for that additional cost, you could buy a Murcielago.

02360spider likes this.
  12. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Here's a question for us 360 owners:

What would we be willing to pay for this mod? (forget about the $48K-55K)

13. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    installation is an engine out job with replacement of lots of stuff including ECUs! - the price is not that surprising

look at the complexity of the bi-compressor installation (attached picture)

I always wondered about the air ducting and the location of the additional water cooler- does someone have an engine bay picture?

14. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    If the setup is done right, i.e. limited warranty, 15k-20k( thats only because I understand people have to make a living). If you break it down, your looking at roughly $4000 in parts, the rest in labor.

15. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    There's one in Forza this month.
    The additional water cooler is put in front of the existing radiators.

16. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I figured about the same. I'd pay $25K, maybe $30K (considering the ECU changes and other mods that are part of the package). But $48K? No way.

17. FormulaRacer

FormulaRacer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    I'd rather have 500hp NA with the new V8 ferrari designed then a centrifugal suprecharged V8...the power band and application of power with a centrifugal blower is not the best, if it was a twin screw....maybe, but nothing beats NA in my book :)

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Also, you'll want to see the hp curve, not just the peak number. They are useing centrifugal supercharger which tend to no boost down low then shoot up near redline, like a turbo only worse. I've seen people try to get around it by over sizing the compressor and installing a recirculator valve that work similar to a wastegate in a turbo, but much less effecient. I've got to believe that Norwood to turbo a 360 and give you 600-700 hp in the $30K range, I know that a guy who post here here a 308QV twin turbo'd and intercooled which brought it up to 450 hp with a ful engine rebuild and the bill was $24k I think. If you really want to supercharge, a screw type positive displacement supercharge is the only way to go IMO. I have one fitted to my QV and am running 22 psi and about 600 hp, there is a pic of it on my profile. The total parts bill was about $8k and then I spent about 250 hrs on the install, so again it would total about $30k to have it done. For $50K they should be delivering closer to 800 hp I would think.