Maserati Coupe questions... | FerrariChat

Maserati Coupe questions...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bostonmini, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    What is the general mood towards this car? are all the quality niggles aside? A friend of mine is possibly interested, but today, there are several competitors that seem worthy, however the lean would be towards a posh GT as opposed to a sportscar...Im thinking maybe aston AMV8 as the only other choice that is similar...what are you thoughts? dont wanna be outpowered now by some new thing....

2. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I bought a new 2002 cambiocorsa coupe in December 2003. Due to very recent issues, my impression of the car has degraded quite a bit in recent days. I could overlook these issues if it weren’t for the fact that the car has had a history of mechanical failings in the time that I have owned it. Sort of like the straw that broke the camel’s back. Considering the fact that the car only has 4000 miles and leaves the garage once a month on average, the failure rate is egregiously high IMO.

However, considering 1) my car was a first-year production run and 2) my experience does not seem typical for maserati owners, I am willing to bet something wrong happened during the production of my car – maybe a rookie on the assembly line… So perhaps this is a fluke. In doing the math, it seems that my car does not quite qualify as a lemon in the legal sense (I am double checking this). However, my dealer seems sympathetic and is trying to place me into a 2004, but it was only a tentative offer that has yet to be blessed by Maserati NA…

I absolutely love driving this car… when it works… But the damn thing has to go. In all fairness, my car seems to be an outlier, and the newer models are most likely sorted out. But if I cannot get another Maser on satisfactory financial terms, I am getting a new car anyway – perhaps back to MB or a Porsche. If I wanted to roll the dice every time I drove my car, I would go to Atlantic City.

I know your post stated “quality niggles aside” - but perhaps my feedback is helpful anyway. This post is not meant to be a rant, but considering my previous reviews of my car have been pretty positive, it’s only honest to disclose my change of opinion.

In terms of performance: when the car actually works, it is a great GT IMO. Great high-speed stability and a good interior. It may not be the best canyon carver, but the brake response and steering are quite good. Acceleration is fantastic. I would say the Maser is a good hybrid between a Porsche and a Mercedes Benz. Better luxury than the Porsche, and better performance than its MB comparator, the CL 500. My impression of the AMV8 is that it will be more like a Porsche, and not as much a GT, but I might be wrong. Also, the Maser will actually fit 4 real adults – the AMV8 doesn’t even pretend to be a 2+2. Don’t forget the M6 that should be out in the near-term with 500 hp.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Eric
    What are the issues?

4. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Cambiocorsa – 3 trips to the dealer:
    During moderately aggressive driving, failed to shift to desired gear. Instead, went to neutral and stuck there with no way to get “unstuck”. Happened each time in a highway passing situation - the result was a sudden loss of acceleration when I needed the most. To get out of Neutral, had to pull over to the side of the highway to shut off/reboot the car. Very nearly caused at least one highway accident. Overall, happened 5 times and required 3 trips to the dealer to fix. It hasn’t bothered me since last fall but is always in the back of my mind whenever I shift…

Headlight washer – 1 trip to the dealer
    Headlight washer ripped off by the wind during a highway jaunt – wasn’t going terribly fast. It was raining, and the open hole left in the bumper allowed water to gather in lower fog lights. No big deal really, but did require a dealer visit and several day wait for the part.

Fuel line recall – 1 trip to dealer
    You know this one. Important enough for a model-wide recall. Though Maserati was proactive in this instance, I still count it.

OBDII warning light, stall, failure to start – 1 trip to dealer
    On most recent outing, car stalled once or twice. Then on several occasions required several dozen engine turns to start. Outright failure to start on other occasions. Battery indicator looked OK. Finally left me stranded couple of hundred miles to home. Oh yeah, last start attempt the engine made a very large clunking noise at start up.

At this point, I cannot consider the car reliable transportation irrespective of the legalities. If I recall correctly, if the cambiocorsa fails one more time, my car is legally a lemon (or maybe that is two more times). Regardless, I cannot trust the car anymore to get me from A to B, so a new car is very likely in my future. I think you have a 2002 as well correct? Your experience seems much better than mine!

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wow
    I suspect failure to start is caused by defective sensor in column that recognizes key (anti theft) . Shifter needing to reboot is F1 Computer defect.
    Loud clunk on starting? Yikes.
    I'd ask them to bring in Maser NA. This is IMHO over the top.

6. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Agreed. Many of these items seem "computer" related, but problems keep on cropping up. The situation is not tolerable. Miller Motorcars contacted Maserati NA last week, and I have been told they are involved in my situation. On the positive side, my customer service experience with Miller has been exceptionally good over the period I have had the car (sales rep, mechanics and even the receptionist). Hopefully we can come to a acceptable resolution.

7. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Eric,
    Sorry to hear about your troubles....this is indeed alarming.

Bostonmini,
    I on the other hand have a different experience. I have owned the 3200 and two Coupes. Both of which are Jan 2003 models. I originally sold my black coupe for a Ferrari 355GTS but after 4 months I craved for my coupe. So I sold the 355 and bot the Coupe.

The cambiocorsa works great for me. Its saved my life a couple of times too. While driving at 180kmh along the North/South highway in Malaysia towards Singapore, trucks and buses will pull out of the other line no more than 25meters in front of me. I hit the brakes and flick down 2 times to down shift to 4th gear. Smooth engine braking. There is no way I could downshift in a manual that fast.

Reliability seems to be holding up....for now.

8. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    everyone seems only CONTENT with quality..how is fit and finish etc? I wouldn't want to have to go back to the dealer daily, and the car would be a 6spd, unlike virtually everyone's it seems...anybody have this option?

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mine has been trouble free. Drive it every day. Great car. In the snow remember to switch off traction control.

10. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I will in about two weeks, Car arrived in port last night. When I got my M3 SMG I was one of the only ones on those boards with that option, now it seems that by going with the 6sd on the Spyder I will be one of the only ones here with it. Go figure. At least people looking at the Cambio option can get plenty of feedback here, but I have found very little anywhere on the GT.

11. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Our Spyder Cambio has been trouble-free as well (at least since last August when we picked it up used).

We'll be bringing it to the dealer after hibernation to address a couple of small things:
    - Cam covers weep oil
    - Computer always shows fuel consumption under 1 mpg

Fit and finish are nothing short of superb.

Brad

12. maseraticoupe

maseraticoupe Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    Texarkana
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Crisp
    I have owned 04 coupe for two months and no major problems. Trunk is hard to latch and the carpet fit is bad on the floor boards. Performance is good, more fun than the last few 996's that I have had.

13. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Cam covers leaked oil on all the early models. We must have replaced them on at least 10 different cars in the first twelve months we had them. Did suffer some Cambiocorsa computer problems early on but those were supposedly fixed. As Napolis says, the sensor has been a problem for some people in recognizing the key in the ignition. Fit and finish has been quite good.

I have been gone from Ferrari/Maserati for about 9 months now so I do not have info on the latest developments but I was there for the first two years after intro of the new cars. I love the way they work. ONce you get used to the slight lean and body roll that occurs and realize that it stops at a certain point and the car will go where you point it you will become much more confident of it abilities.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have an 03 coupe and along with my Cayenne turbo it is a daily driver. I have had no problems and I think it is a blast to drive. It has luxury a speed and unlike my Porsches I do see one in my rear view mirror every ten minutes. I like the GT but my wife can not drive a stick so I went with the paddles.

15. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Well folks, an update. The folks at Maserati NA are "putting" me into a brand new 2004 coupe. Without going into details on the transaction, I am pretty happy about with the way things turned out overall. I will be signing the paperwork this weekend and will give it a spin. Delivery sometime in a week or two...

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very Good News!

17. davel

davel Guest

Nice to hear that :) You certainly did you time as a test pilot for them. Congrats.

18. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks folks. Remind me to wait a year before getting the updated coupe/spyder.

2004s are supposed to have minor improvements versus the earlier models - better forward visibility, bit more sound dampening, more direct steering, cup holder!, improved radio reception, and maybe some other very minor stuff. We'll see what it adds up to.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    How did they improve that - is the seat higher? Steering wheel or the dash lower?

It would be nice if they made the Trofeo bumpers and grille an option ala Challenge grilles on the 355/360.

As a side note, I've been saying for a while now FNA/MNA need TV ads for the Maser, maybe on Speed and/or during sporting events (I think Subaru is sponsoring 50% of the Speed channel given the frequency of the WRX commercials... even as an owner I'm a little tired of that commercial!). People generally can't recognize the car yet. Well this morning I saw a silver coupe in a commercial... for Delphi. For their IT server cooling technology, no less. But at least they're getting out there a little.

20. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I don't think it was via seat lowering. I think the instrument binnacle is lower and/or the padding on top of the dashboard is thinner. I imagine it is a pretty subtle difference in any event.

Also standard is a chrome front grill. I am not a fan of chrome on cars, but the shinier grill on the 2004 makes the front of the car much more prominent. I think it looks pretty good. Below is a picture of my car currently at the dealership. I have included another random Maser with the old grill as a contrast. BTW - that isn't me in the background.

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That chrome grill is definitely more aggressive. Looks a little more posh too - makes me think of the Bentley grill; I think you can get that on Jag XKR's too (might be wrong on that).

Are you going to put a custom or Tubi on it? I saw a pair last fall Mr. Risi brought to the FFQC that had what I think were Tubi's on them, but they had a beautiful bassy growl at low revs that was nicer than many Ferraris. They invited people to track them too, and I was surprised to see them do so well getting sideways :).

22. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The gunmetal color on that first pic is beautiful!

23. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    zjpj - thanks. Grigio Alfieri is the color I believe. Not the touring grey.

ryalex - I am planning to keep the car stock, but I haven't ruled anything out. Will a tubi setup provide any noticeable power gains? I will probably upgrade at least part of the sound system - I find even the upgraded system noticeably lacking. I am also interested in the Gransport - that kind of aggressive look is what they should have re-launched in the US with. I plan a test drive when one arrives.

24. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Super news for both you and Maserati. Nice to see them stand beside their customers and behind their brand.

When you get your new coupe, I'd be interested in hearing the details of the improved forward visibility. I'm wondering if it will now be possible to actually wash the inside of the windshield! :)

To Maser Motoring,
    Brad

25. Wow your car is gorgous the chrome style grill looks fantastic.