Paint codes | FerrariChat

Paint codes

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by catswhiskers, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. catswhiskers

catswhiskers Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Nottingham England
    Full Name:
    Mick Worrall
    can anyone please provide me with a list of paint codes and the most likely colour for the following.
    My 1981 308GTSi underwent a complete bare shell restoration approx. 5 years ago. From the history I have been able to trace it was originally blue. During the restoration, the owner had it re-painted in red. I have been told that it is 'Rosso Corsa' and have no reason to doubt this. Trouble is my local paint shop tell me that there are several versions of this colour.
    For reference, I have done a small repair and blown it in with paint code 300-12 'Rosso Chairo Corsa' and it is slightly darker than the existing colour.
    I realise I'm asking a theoretical question but any input would be appreciated. For the record, my 308 seems darker than my friends 348 which I would have also thought was 'Rosso Corsa'
    Thanks.
    Mick

2. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Mick,
    I come up with a glassurit paint code of 30016 for Rosso Corsa.

on the laquer side there were a couple of different codes..

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Red paint in particular is notorious for fading in only a few years, enough so that paint mixed to the formula the car was painted with 5 years ago may be a slightly different color than the car is now!

So,Unless you're doing a complete re-spray, paint codes aren't too useful.

For any work requiring color matching, it's better to make an appointment with an auto body paint supplier & have them use
    a computerized color scan.

Unlike 10 years ago when factory pre-mixed paints 'aka factory-pacs' were still availablle, today all paint is mixed by the store. While they can dial up standard codes to get a color mix recipe, they can also scan your car and get one. The scan will also tell you if it found an exact paint code that matches your car. It can tell you the closest code. And it can produce a recipe that is an exact match to your car.

In the last 4 years, my local Dupont/PPG supplier's paint man has mixed 3 different batches for my 308. Every one has been an exact match to the paint that came on the car, and to the other batches. BTW, my '82 308 GTS QV's paint lable says 'Glasurit Russo Corsa - FER300'. The paint scanner said it's an exact match to a Ford 'bright red' color code 2R, which is what I've been using.