Check engine light on and car lost power on 360 | FerrariChat

Check engine light on and car lost power on 360

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mon, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mon

Mon Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    The check engine light came up while the car was driving, suddenly the car lost power and having ticking noise from engine. I called service department they told me to twist the knob in the front hood to off position, shut the car off and twist it back to on position again. Now the engine light is gone.

What is that knob for? and Is my car is OK?

Thanks!

2. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I just had the same problem with my 360. The nob disconnects the battery. In essance, you are turning the computer off hoping the problem was only temporary. When the computer reboots the error is erased from it's memory.

3. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    The check engine lights in all OBD2 cars are primarily related to emmission controls. If your car is running with one side or the other in a "rich" mode it could potentially cause the catalytic converters to be overloaded and overheat. The heat could potentially cause all kinds of problems besides the fact that the government does not want those excess hydrocarbons polluting the air. The ECUs will shut down one bank or the other to prevent such a condition and thus the loss of power. After it cools down and you reset the ECUs by turning off the battery the condition could correct itself. Do you always by the best gasoline possible from stations with new tanks in the ground?

4. Mon

Mon Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Brought the car to service, they found out that I was driving to fast after I started the car.....they said I shoulda warmed it up first before start punching. They cleared the memory lock for my car too.

5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Hey Bertoochi.........you're good!

6. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Aside from using good fuel and not letting the tank get low between drives, you should be holding off until your oil temperature guage begins to move before you punch the pedal. For my 360 that amounts to around six miles or so of non-highway driving. No problems so far.

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Ken, glad to hear your taking as good a care of her as I did. Hope you are enjoying every drive.

8. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You betcha, Morrie. Would like to use the same wax as you used. E-mail me if you have time. Hope to see you in Wilmington.