ZX-1 Oil additive | FerrariChat

ZX-1 Oil additive

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mr Iceman, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Iceman

Mr Iceman Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Canterbury, England
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows about, or has used this oil additive 'Extralube ZX1'.

http://www.team-zx1.com

It claims to be different from slick 50 in that it doesn't contain PTFE and is 'non particulate' which I think means it doesnt bond to itself and thus wont clog up your oil ways!

I was thinking of putting it in my gearbox oil and possibly my engine oil.

Your opinions would be gratefully received.

2. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Motor oils already contain all the additives they need. Anything you add can only interfere with your oil's normal performance. YOU cannot make it better. If you are worried, just change your oil more often.

aehaas

3. gyrokeith

gyrokeith Rookie

Feb 26, 2004
    ne maryland
    Full Name:
    keith mahan
    If an additive claims to be "non particulate" it is probably based on chlorine. These additives tend to modify the oils film strength, and they don't last very long.

This is a good additive if you need to help rejuvenate old oil and can't change it. I like to change my oil often to prevent oil breakdown.

I have found that if you use additives the oil lasts longer and they do add quite a bit of film strength. Some will spout a lot of hogwash about additives being useless.. not true... but they only are really needed in extreme situations. It's just as easy to teflon coat your friction bearings like the nascar guys.

It is not a miracle cure for bad oil... but there really isn't any bad oils out there... I'm just as happy with all I've tried. The real difference is how long they seem to last before breakdown.

I put Dura-lube in my 308 the day it was delivered and have had no hesitation doing it to any vehicle.

If you want your engine to last you will warm it up for 3 minutes every morning. That means just as much as good oil.

My opinions are my own, and, despite some of the research I have performed in the past I'll bet a quite a few might disagree with me.

C'est la vie !

4. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I agree with AEHAAS, and just use a good brand of synthetic oil.

Kind Regards, Chris