Front challenge grille (360) | FerrariChat

Front challenge grille (360)

Discussion in '360/430' started by exiges, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    I know what the rear challenge grille looks like.. not hard to spot !

But I see references to front challenge grilles and I can't say I'd know one if I saw one.. Can anyone posts pictures of two cars, one with, one without them so I can see what they are ?

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #2 tonyh, Mar 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. phil30

phil30 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Somewhere I belong
    Full Name:
    Phil Tan
    The stradale's front grills looks like it is made of thinner wire mesh compared to the standard ones, is my understanding correct?

4. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    The 'challenge' front grille is made of the same mesh as the side air intakes, diagonal and smaller than the 'normal' grille.

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Here's a shot of my car with the factory Challenge grills. One caution is that the tow eye hole on the driver's side does not line up with the hole in the Challenge grill. If you car ever need to be towed, minor surgery will need to be performed. RM Racing makes a set but not sure they have a problem with alignment.

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Here's an old picture of my car with the original grills.

7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    lovely car willis

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    1. what's the price of the option?

2. I think it looks great, but what does it do for the car? Obviously rear challenge grille helps to cool the engine. What does this do?

9. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    1. not sure

2. helps prevent larger debris (like leaves) from entering via the grille.

10. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I have a 2002 and the tow eye hole DOES line up with the hole in the Challenge grill. Ferrari probably fixed this starting with MY 2002?

11. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H

Thank you.

12. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Over $600 for the pair from the dealer.

I found that it does a good job keeping debris ( mostly leaves and larger pebbles) from entering the openings. The original grills basically let everything inside.

13. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Interesting, Jeff. Perhaps it's fixed. The front grills were not offered as an option when I ordered my Modena back in 2000.

14. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    $600??????

LOL, what a gip! Can't imagine why these are not standard equipment.

15. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Hey, you should have seen my reaction at the parts counter when I picked them up! :)

Yes, they should have been standard. IMHO.

16. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I am sure the parts counter was quite used to customers giving the same type of reaction you gave! I still am smiling to myself about the $600 fee.

Must be because of all the tough engineering and windtunnel work that went into that mesh wire:)

Regardless, it looks better now and I am sure that you are happy you did it. I have always liked the look of your 360. Whether or not other people notice that you have the grills is meaningless. Sometimes small things like that give you peace of mind.

In the end I guess I would rather pay the ridiculous $600 than have a bird or squirrel sneak in there at speed!

17. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    haha, that happened to me once. (not in a Ferrari of course...) I didn't notice until the next day when I came into the garage and noticed a peculiar smell. Then I saw the feathers sticking out behind the liscence plate... :)

18. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    The challenge grill for the front of the 360 is composed of a wire mesh on frame and composite trim ring that backs up the grills. It takes about $300 for each grill and about $165 for each trim ring. You will need to remove the bumper to install them. About a 3 hour job at the dealer. So about a $1k to get them installed including the parts.

I did not care for the quality of the OEM piece so I made my own set out of stainless. I also have made some grills for the other 7 intake ports on the car. The upper and lower intake, the rear pipes and center tunnel. If interested send me an email and I can price out a set for you. Either in stainless silver finish or black. Also other mesh types available.