Australian GP - An Exercise in boredom? | FerrariChat

Australian GP - An Exercise in boredom?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by sletti, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Is it me, or was that one of the most tedious 1hr, 24min and 15secs in the history of F1. I mean, nothing happened!

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I always used to watch F1 from 1997 them by 2002 got bored and dont bother anymore. Shame realy.

3. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    IMHO absolute absence of any excitement is the norm in modern F! racing. Exception is when something happens. That is the reason why I swap to MOTOGP. That is something....

Ciao

Eugenio

4. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Couldn't agree more. I actually recorded it and then watched at 7am. Skipped through a lot of boring material.

However 10 out of 10 to the Scuderia team and Schumacher/Barachello for a great openeing result to the season.

J

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Haven't seen it yet, was going to watch @ 1.30pm ......looks like i needn't bother?!
    T

6. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Could not agree more, I got up at 2-45am, by 3-10 I picked up Classic car magazine and only put it down once during the race. Mind you it was worth the loss of sleep to see Ron Dennis`s happy face when the engine blew up in the Macca.

Great result for the team.

Phil.

7. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Yep it was boring, although I think the finger should be pointed at Williams and Mclaren for not doing a proper job in producing cars that can even see which way the Ferrari's went.

8. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Tony i agree the results should NOT have been posted,

Dale.

9. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Dale/Tony

You guys didn't really think that you were going to log onto a Ferrari website and not see the results !!! At a minimum perhaps avoiding a thread titled " Australian GP - An Exercise in boredom?" might have been a clue. Come on guys

10. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Totally agree!

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Now you know why NASCAR is so popular here in America. The cars may be unsophisticated and largely identical, and the oval-track atmosphere is rather artificial, but at least there is passing and competition. And the IRL is even more competitive.

Road-course racing may be more "authentic" but its very nature (in all series) tends to make it less competitive. Even NASCAR's road course races (which I wish they'd have more of) see less passing than on the ovals.

Frankly, I prefer the American LeMans Series. It's about the only series where you can hear different engine sounds! 4s, 6s, 8s, 10s and 12s, turbocharged and normally-aspirated, all on the same track on the same time. I dare anyone to tell F1 cars apart by sound anymore......

12. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Sorry guys your right i shoudnt have looked,somthing got the better of me
    and saw the results,
    My fault for looking,

Dale.

13. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    I havent bothered with F1 for ages. Every race is boring.

For exciting racing I watch Moto GP or the Superbikes. Lots of passing and crashing. The riders are more entertaining than the F1 drivers. Rossi is the biking equivalent of Schumacher but has a bit more of a personality.

Cant knock the German for his ability though

14. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H

James,
    i was referring to Stig's headline and the fact that i wouldn't bother cos it was a yawn !
    T

15. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Tony

Please PM your mobile number. I have lost the one you sent me. ps I am going to the Thames Valley meet tomm eve. Tony Willis of Ferrari UK is guest speaker are you attending ?

rgds
    James

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Mobile on way, James.Can't make tomm as i'm up to my eyes in at work .
    T

17. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    If you want to see exciting racing and have a fun time and see the best selection of classic and exotic road cars in one place then forget about F1 and take a trip to LeMans in June.

18. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I came in late so I stayed to watch the race, I went to bed in the end.
    It was good to see the Ferrari's making the pace and Ron's face when the engine went.
    But it was boring.
    I tend to watch the bikes and GT more now, and I go to Le mans almost ever year, to me that's the best !

19. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Who here watches the start of the season in the hope that things will be different? Last year seemed better than the year before, and with the lack of launch control this year should be better. But in reality I expect it is not to be.

It would help if we had a home hero, who has an outside chance of winning, to follow, and that probably won't happen untill JB gets back in one of Frank's cars. Still, could happen....

Ahh well, back to dreams of Hungary 1989....come on Nige.....

Stig "bringbackslicksreducewingsizeandkillthecomputerinf1cars" Winslet

20. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Boring...................... Great that Ferrari won..................

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #21 BigTex, Mar 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wouldn't call an engine turning to 18K RPM boring!

While it looked like a total domination, the point's well made that the other teams DO have the option of buliding a competitive car, in the off season! LOL!

I can almost tell the age of a poster, when it comes to this issue.

Those of us who journeyed thru "the dry years" from 1988, when Enzo died,
    and the present, (twenty two, if I count correctly) havent grown tired of the red cars in the FRONT! Twenty two years is a lot of losing, after all.

Besides, watching JPM served a such a large slice of humble pie was well worth it! Frank should fire him today, and hire some talent. Poor Connie!

Regards to all,

Speedy"One More Trophy!"308
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Speedy

True, the cars are not boring per se, but we are never going to see a level playing field at a technology level whilst such a disparity exists in team's budgetary constraints. Ferrari's costs-unlimited approach is fine for Ferrari, but will inevitably squeeze out the likes of Minardi as there is no possible way they have for turning thier fate around. I doubt their plight would be any less wretched if Schumacher were driving for them (certainly not in the short-to-mid term).

But the general attitude on this thread is that F1 is boring. And these are mostly Ferrari owners\enthusiasts, who would doubtless applaud the result itself, whilst giving no particular care to the method of its' achievement. F1 relies on advertising, and advertising relies on viewers; one day someone's gonna do the maths!

I don't remember F1 much in the 70's, but the 80's were a riot. I agree, if someone claims that F1 used to be much better, you can guage to some extent the age of the whinger, but in my experience, there aren't many young people particularly interested in F1, and it's fans comprise mostly of folk like me hoping it will get better one day!

I could whine at length about what is wrong in F1, but I doubt I'd be saying anything new....

Stig

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh, I see.

A level playing field would be IROC.

They all drive the same car!

24. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Allan,I lived through "the lean years" and of course it is very gratifying to see Ferrari triumph,however the question was is it boring? and quiete frankly yes it is.
    best regards
    Dave McGuire

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I'm not sure of a resolution to this.... are you saying it takes airborne cars, or severed legs to make "the show"??

Or just the close, wheel banging, fender scuffing action that CAUSES airborne cars and injury that you're looking for.

It's an age old conflict, that everybody likes excitement, but no one likes to see anyone killed. My friends in the IRL are struggling with the very same issues. It leads down a slippery slope.

And St. Andrews, thanks for not throwing Dan Quayle off the Old Course!
    Sounds like he deserved to be, ...and that they should have!

Here's to a rousing, lead swapping, equipment destroying, loose wheels into the stands kind of race next time! With no one the worse, of course. ;)