Shade tree oil change for my 348 | FerrariChat

Shade tree oil change for my 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jim Riggs, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    #1 Jim Riggs, Mar 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Saturday I did my first Ferrari oil change. I didn't set any new land speed records, but I got it done without any major problems. I have attached some pictures that may help some of you novices like myself. Also, I had several threads trying to figure out how to best put my 348 on jackstand and I think that I understand it now.
    The equipment that I assembled before I started the oil change:socket wrench, an oil filter wrench, a 22mm (I think) socket, a 12mm allen wrench, Ferrari oil filter, a hockey puck (to go in the bowl of the floor jack to prevent dammage to the underside), 12 liters of Agip SINT 2000, oil pan, several blocks of wood to go between the jackstand and the frame, an old towel, jackstands and floor jack. I also needed a 10mm socket to remove the inspection plat and to remove the air filter housing.
    I identified 4 points (shown in 1st photo, sorry I was too close when I shot this pic and it is out of focus) that looked like lifting points and/or places to rest the jack stand. Each one had two pieces of metal extended down out of the frame rail.
    At first I was able to put my F-car on the jackstands using these lifting points (two in front of the back wheels and two behind the front wheels). The 2nd photo shows the F-car on these lift points. But it didn't seem that stable and it took some fooling around to get it in this position. Then I noticed the main frame structure exposed at the rear of the F-car. (I also remember an earlier posting on using this point with the jackstands.)
    So I used the lifting point in front of the rears wheel to lift the car (see 3rd photo), which easily allowed positioning the jackstand behind the front wheel and the jackstand on the rear portion of the main frame. Finally, the 4th photo shows the proper location for the jackstands along with my niece's boy.
    Anyway, I hope that this is of some value to a novice 348 mechanic. Earlier threads have show how to drain the oil so I won't include that here. Cheers, Jim
    PS From my records on my 348, Ferrari of Beverly Hills charged over $400 for an oil change. So a little grease on your hands can save a substantial amount.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    cool post, nice to see you working on it yourself. i didnt know oil changes were $400.00 either!.

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Way to go Jim!

4. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I have a 512 TR and found your experience most helpful as I prepare to do the same at some point. Tell me does the 348 have a noise/dust shield under the front of the car and did it interfere with your ability to chose a jack stand or jacking point?

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I surprised it didnt fall off and squish your head with the stands located so far in from the ends. I would have chosen a frame rail near the engine for the rear half anyway.

6. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004

Vlamgat-
    The first photo shows the type of lift points. The metal plates keep the jackstands/floor jacks from contacting the underside of the vehicle. Using these points and of course the exposed rear part of the main frame structure, you don't have to remove any shields to put the 348 on jackstands. The trick is to use the floor jack applied to the lift point in front of the rear tire to lift one side of the vehicle so that the jackstands can be placed under the F-car. Regards, Jim

7. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Yikes, that is scary (please dont get me wrong - not that there is something wrong with it). It's just that I wouldnt go underneat of a car like that.

To improve it (make it safer), put more wood blocks under each tire.

8. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Jim,

Is that a SS? Do you know if those chrome wheels are original?

BTW some more blocks is probably a good idea. Other than that well done!

Vincent.

9. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Jim:
    Congratulations on your oil change.
    In my past I have had trouble putting a car on 4 jack stands--odd as it seems the car can be quite unstable on 4 stands. It is especially risky when you are jacking-up or down and the stands have an angular load on them (don't ask me how I know). If you really have to get the car up high my preference is to drive the front wheels on a stack of (2) 2X10s and jack the back-up.
    Be careful, and enjoy the "bonding".

Mark

10. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Congrats on the work. I have always gotten a chuckle out of pictures like this. It's sort of the 'rich trailer park' look (rich-redneck). Just funny to see a Ferrari up on jack stands in front of a house. FYI, I do the same.

:)

11. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Great to see others working on their cars. Instead of "jacking" the car up next time, why don't you try a siphon machine. You litterally stick a tube down the dipstick and suck all the oilt out of the engine, without having to undo the drain plug, raising the car, or getting where near under the car.

There are several models on the market, but I am partial to Griots Garage Oil evacuation contraption. I use it to change the oil on all my cars and I am normally wearing kakis when I do this. Just a thought.

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm not sure an oil extractor like that would work in a dry sump system like the 348. I doubt the siphon tube could reach through the tank, down the plumbing and into the case. Can the real tech-junkies comment on this?

-Daniel

13. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb

I'm one of those tech junkies - I drain most of the oil by warming the engine and extracting it from the sump (the separate one against the rear bumper) using the extraction method. I get about 9 quarts that way and then drain the engine sump (underneath the block) from below to get the last few quarts. I find it quicker, less messy and no chance of stripping the sump drain screw.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    As Shan said, you can get alot of oil out of the oil tank, but you won't get the oil that is still on the bottom of the sump pan. Oh and the dipstick is in the oil tank, not on the engine like most vehicles. As for stripping the oil plug on the bottom of the oil tank, been there done that. The previous owners cross threaded the drain plug. The problem is that the covor on the bottom is aluminium and the plug is brass, or at least it looks brass. So if you cross thread it or over tighten it, the aluminium is softer than the plug and gets stripped. I took mine to a local machine shop and had them tap a new hole. It is a little bit bigger than the old one but it works. Also there is a nylon mesh screen on the bottom of the tank, that covers the pick up tube on the bottom. Mine had metal shavings in it from, the threads being stripped out, and the screen caught them. I cleaned it out and then put the screen back on. There is a clip that holds it in place. But in order to get the screen out you have to remove the four bolts that hold the cover on the bottom. Since I had my cover off already, I cleaned the screen. You will need to get a new gasket as well. There is another drain plug on the very bottom of the engine. DO NOT mess with that one. It goes to oil oil pump. Oh and if you need a new one, well the dealer will hit you up for $60.00 for the plug and $25.00 for the one time use crush washer. I had to get a new one of those also, so take my advice and just leave it alone.

OH Yeah, nice job Jim. LOL.

15. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Vincent-
    The previous owner told me that he had the original wheels chromed. I think that in the 348 Spyders had chromed wheels as an option, but I am not positive. I do like these chromed wheels better than the original ones, but I am trying to get some 355 Challenge wheels when I replace the tires (in 2-3k). There was an earlier thread that showed 348's with original, 355, 355C and 360 wheels. Regards, Jim

16. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    I can understand how it would work for the oil reservoir, but how do you get the oil that is grained from the engine block. Thanks, Jim

17. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Are'nt chrome wheels this size very heavy? Or are these just for looks?

18. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Vlamgat-
    It is my understanding that chroming wheels is an electrolytic process in which a very thin (a few thousandths of an inch) layer of chrome is laid down evenly on the surface. I could be wrong. It may be a dipping process, but in any event it is such a thin layer that there is an insignificant weight increase. Cheers, Jim

19. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    Thanks for posting how to jack up the car. Saved my day.