Which polish/wax do you Ferrari owners use? | FerrariChat

Which polish/wax do you Ferrari owners use?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by EVO8, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    All of the Ferrari's that I see are so shiny and I was wondering which polish/wax you Ferrari owners use? Do you use some special brands that aren't sold in stores and are expensive, as you want to buy the best product for your Ferrari? I own a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and I use Meguiars but it just doesn't look as shiny as the Ferrari's at the meets I go to. Maybe Mitsubishi paint is suckier than Ferrari?? Thanks for the help.

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
  3. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    That is so complicated, there has to be an easier and simpler way. Every new model Ferrari I see is just so shiny and I'm sure most Ferrari owners don't go through every detailed step to get thier car shine. I heard from other sites that you just clay bar and use zaino's steps to get the best shine. If that doesn't work, it must be the paint because let's face it, Ferrari is so expensive that their paint has to be superior. Mitsubishi paint obviously must be cheap and crappy.

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    While i don't go through all the steps in JAGXJ6'S excellent write-up,the basics of washing,drying ,polishing & waxing are the same for every car you want to take good care of.
    I will spend a good 3 hrs on my car and it seems there's no short cut to achieving that perfect shine.Put some elbow grease into it !
    Tony

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    An uneducated opinion. Ferrari uses enamel, Mitsubishi Motors uses clearcoat. The Evolution is a clearcoat. The pearl colored white and yellow Mitsubishi 3000GT Twin Turbo series utilized a three phase paint proccess where a panel was painted, heated over 300 degrees F, then final paint phase which gave it a unique color. Obviously, that application process goes above the Ferrari enamel step. Does that make it a superior paint? Not neccessarily. I've seen a higher quality paint job on a production Mitsubishi than the 'orange peel' rear deck and side panel of a Corvette. Both paint jobs, clearcoat.

There is nothing simple toward working to a high gloss finish. I will be the first to tell you this.

Ferrarichat has the best resources of products and actual detailers input. Short of a detailer's forum, I don't believe you will find information as well documented as found on this site.

6. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Heck, I have had my 550 for 2 years and 17,000 miles. I just wash it between oil changes.

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Durability is definitely something you notice the most. My finish is not particularly special. Its a 2 base coat primer and 2 coat paint with a third and final clear in the same oven process most volume manufacturers use.

Painting fiberglass is not the same as painting metal, your not going to place an F-car side by side next to a production car with a relatively good paint job and expect to come out on top. The Vette's for example are not as lucky, but then again, they are not the same cost and go through the same prep as the F-cars do. 5000/yr vs 15,000/yr...

Why its so expensive is the materials and the prep that goes into it.

I have a metallic black so it takes at least an extra day of labor in sanding and blending to do the whole car. $5,000 factory extra you keep paying for if you ever need body work done, like I did recently.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Its all in the prep work. Unless your showing, your not going to need to do everything in painful detail as I put in my doc. If you were local I'd be happy to help. Wash it throughly, find a product you like to use, get a few tricks on how to put it on and remove it the best, and find some good quality cloths to use and the finish will improve. I go to such lengths because I like little trophys and prizes in competition, not to mention, bragging rights amongst my peers.

Sunny

ScottJon likes this.
  9. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Well, thanks for the opinions anyway jaguarxj6. I live in Cerritos, LA and I'm currently using The Glosser, which is very good. It leaves no swirls on black cars unlike Meguiars. But I am looking forward to using Zaino because I heard a lot of great stuff about their products. Just in case you want to see my cars:

www.angelfire.com/mech/evo

A recent evo meet in January: (I am the 2nd guy from the left in the group pic)

www.angelfire.com/mech/axis90702

-Philip

10. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Phillip,

Evo and C inside, and 911 outside? Hmm weird priorities ;)

11. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Haha of course not. All three are in the garage because the garage parking space is shaped like an "L." But there is 3 parking spaces, it's hard to tell from the pics. But on that day, I parked the turbo outside because it looks better haha.

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    You might be asking the wrong group of guys. Not many of us have time to wax and polish the cars ourselves but that doesn't mean it doesn't get done. You might have to ask our detailers

I wash my car myself but I have a detailer who works for one of my companies wax and polish the car every few weeks. He is as nutty as Sunny when it comes to this stuff and the car always looks great.

13. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    And which wax company does he use, sherpa23?

14. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

ZAINO ZAINO ZAINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

That is waht I was going to say. Most F car owners probably don't do it themselves. Wish I will be able to afford that someday :)

16. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Yea, I guess you can say that because most Ferrari owners are rich haha and would rather spend money than waste time. LOL!

Pics of my car:

-Philip

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

If it were $200 or whatever other people pay you can bet your ass that I would be doing it myself. I pay him his usual work rate: $10/hr. The whole thing usually costs me $70. I love cleaning my car but it's hard to beat the job he does and when it only costs me $10/hr it's hard to pass up.

EVO8: He has tried lots of different things but I have a pro detail shop supplier come by the office to supply him with the goods. He has tried it all really loves the professional grade 3M stuff. The supplier explained to me how the formula is a little different than the retail shops carry but it was pretty much lost on me. Peter really likes it though.

In between I wash the car and use Mequiar's Quick Detailer to shine it up. It works great.

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

70BUCKS??? :eek: Man nothing is that cheap in the bay area or los angeles :(

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

By the way, don't call me a slave driver. I know that $70 for the job he does is a total steal but he washes lots of vehicle for me and gets paid well compared to what the people mover dealerships are paying.

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you look at almost any other car on the road today, you will see a glossy coating on top of serious orange peel. With modern paint technology, the only way to get rid of orange peel is to sand (1500 grit to 2000 grit) down the top of the paint after it has dried (typically 3 days) and then buff the sanded surface back to a glossy state. The cost structure of a Ferrari allows this cost, the cost structure of a Vette or below simply does not.

21. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Oh no way, I am not going to use Meguiar's Quick Detailer again!! I used it before and it gives me a lot of swirls on my black evo. But thanks for the other feedback.

22. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Really? I have been using the quick detailer for years on cars I keep under cover. I have found it to be a great product! :)

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Are you using it properly? On a well polished car, if you wipe with a damp micro fiber, it's the best that I have found.

24. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip

Really?? Maybe because my evo is a "black" car, because swirls usually happen on black cars. It does work fine on my mercedes.

Pics of my car:

-Philip

25. DMClark

DMClark Karting

Feb 24, 2004
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dean Clark
    The Z word has been mentioned.. Someone get me my gun.