Sort of on topic - how to get a 4 post lift delivered? | FerrariChat

Sort of on topic - how to get a 4 post lift delivered?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by battman, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hello all,

I'm planning to purchase a 4 post lift. The company I'm looking at (GregSmithEquipment) will deliver one to my house for $200, or to a Freight Forwarder for $170. However, you need a forklift or a bobcat or something to remove this 1500lb, 4 post lift (shrink-wrapped into a 14'x3'x3' pile of steel) off of the delivery truck - which of course, I don't have...

Has anyone done something like this with a freight forwarder? Anyone know of any around Milwaukee, WI? Is this something like DHL does or something?As I don't think I can get this lift into or onto my Jeep (without destroying it), I'll likely borrow a friends van and have to take the shrink wrap off at the freight forwarder and move the lift to my house in several trips.

Has anyone gone through this and can offer any suggestions?

Thanks, Battman

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    DO YOU PLAN ON PUTTING THE LIFT UP YOURSELF???

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I'm suprised the dealer hasn't offered to sublet someone to help you install it. Most of them will in order to close the sale.

BTW, check with banks for repo equipment such as this, a 9000 lbs 2 post lift normally runs about $2400.00, sometimes you can get them for $700.00 & only six months old with remander factory warranty.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I had my lift from www.teamlift.com delievered to the installer who then brought it with them on the date of installation.

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    THATS WHY I ASKED MY QUESTION.. I AGREE WITH FRANK..

MY INSTALLER PICKED THEM UP AT THE TRUCK, WAREHOUSE OR LOADING DOCK AND INSTALLED IT THE SAME DAY

I JUST MADE OUT A CHECK, AND IT WAS DONE........

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    get a local installer set up via your manufacturer and they'll take care of it.

otherwise, go buy a forklift ;-)

i've heard told of guys breaking the shipping setup down to move it off the truck piece by piece, but if you get a busy truck driver, he ain't gonna go for that.

doody.

7. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    I'm sure glad I asked you guys...

Pardon my ignorance, but why is an installer necessary for a 4 post lift? I could see it for a 2 post lift, that has to be mounted and probably has much bigger parts to move around...but the 4 posts look very simple? You mean it's not a few bolts, a few turns with a torque wrench and you have a lift? I can't believe it's more complicated F-car maintainence! :)

Which brings me to a follow up question...if an installer is necessary, where did you find an installer?

Thanks for all the help, Battman

8. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Yea - I asked about the piece by piece removal...they told me not to count on it...but thanks...

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you mean BESIDES getting it off the truck? ;) ;) ;)

sorry, i couldn't resist.

doody.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    In construction, is as follows:

Specify soft top carrier.

Subcontract rigging/off loading. See "Heavy equipment moving" in the yellow pages.

Of course, I've been known to tie off to an object and drive the truck out from under it. But in some cases, this VOIDs the warranty. Medical equipment, etc.

The term "FOB Jobsite" means its THEIRS until it's on YOUR doorstep.
    You could say your garage is the delivery point, if you are clever.

You know "4707- 1/2 Wayback Lane ;)

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You better have a BIG roto-hammer, for the HILTI anchors!

12. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I had mine delivered to my company's shipping dock. That gave me the ability to break down the shipping container and load the pieces onto a pickup truck.

If you are doing the installation yourself, plan on getting 4 friends to help. The ramps are extremely heavy and are typically installed at chest level so you can route the cables later in the installation sequence. Mine took about 4 hours to assemble, both times (I moved and tore it apart for the move).

Brad

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

As to delivery.

1. specify a truck with a lift gate to get it to the ground for you, then, in a worst case scenario, hook the whole mess to the hitch of your non-f car, )Or, even better, your neighbors SUV) and drag it off the lift gate at ground level. May not be the best solution, but it will work, just buy a sturdy chain.

2. If you specify in advance, the truck will sit for as long as you want, you just have to pay extra for the wait. Also have the shipper specify they bring a pallet jack for delivery.

3. Specify phone B4 delivery. That way you can make sure they bring the right stuff to off load the product.

The phone B4 and the tail lift, along with the waiting time, all cost extra, so be sure to get a quote for the additional services.

Common carriers are responsible for geting whatever is shipped to the tail of the truck, not off the truck completely, so they have to be able to move it around in the truck. If your 4 poster is palletized, then they'd have to bring a pallet jack with them in the truck to get it to the tail, and that jack could be used to frag it off the tail lift.

Good luck. Remember to be specific in what you need, and don't be afraid to refuse the shipment if the truck company arrives unprepared. It'll piss 'em off, but they will come back with the right equipment the second time.

14. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Jonathan
    Team Lift quoted $600 for the install.

A friend who runs a local Auto Repair shop is going to help me with my install in the next 2 weeks. He's done it several times before. It is a 2 to 3 person job to unload and install. And, as others have identified, you need a pretty good drill for the anchor bolts. I assume you'll also want to shim it to get it level and that's also going to need a couple of folks.

My guy lives Racine way and has a shop in Evanston. If you want to talk to him, shoot me a PM and I'll provide the details off line.

If you decide to do it yourself, you'll either need to rent some equipment or need to have 2 - 3 strong mates to help.

Philip

15. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Most four-post lifts aren't anchored to the floor - in fact, mine has a wheel kit so I can move it around!

While you might want to level the unit, it's not absolutely necessary. The cable tensioning adjusters will allow you to level the ramps equally at each posts' locking points.

16. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    My 4 poster arrived at the freight depot. I hired a truck with a tipping bed - the kind that hauls wrecked cars. The depot people put the package on the truck with their forklift. I had the truck put the package on one of my driveways near the basement garage door. The truck can easily do it by tipping the bed and scooting the vehicle.

I used an engine puller and fabric strapping to move the pieces into the basement through its garage door - a piece at a time. The heaviest part was the track with the large hydraulic cylinder. I think it weighed 400 pounds.

My wife and I assembled the lift ourselves in about a day using the engine puller. That was back in the summer of 1998. No problem since.

17. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    My dad bought his Stinger lift from the manufacturer. They had a display at the Jefferson auto show (It's next month, I think), he bought one at the show, the guy came to his house after the show and set it up for him.

Might want to consider something like that. Sometimes they will cut you a deal, as they would rather not haul the unit back if they don't have to.

18. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    I had my Eagle lift delivered to a local contractor that I know. He used a forklift to get it off the truck and onto a trailer he lent me. I backed the trailer up to the garage and took the lift off piece by piece. I had to remove the hydraulic cylinder from one of the tracks before my friend and I could get if off the trailer.

Assembly wasn't too bad; it took around a day to assemble and adjust it after I got it unloaded. It wasn't complicated, just tedious and cumbersome. You will need a friend to help with the big pieces, but you can assemble the cables, stop-lock release, and do the adjustment yourself.

I wouldn't pay $600 to have it assembled if you can find a way to get it to your house. It just isn't that big of a deal if you have a couple of friends who can help for a day.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I paid to have mine installed as my time is worth much more than the $500 they charged . I had mine bolted to the floor as I plan to work under it. Plus, if it fails in the future and damages my car or injures someone like ME or my CHILDREN, I will have someone to go after. I also had a keyed lock installed on the power so no one else can use it without the key.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The power lock is a GOOD idea, IMO.

Good work, Mr. Parker

21. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    When I ordered my low-rise lift, I specified "delivery included" (and paid extra for the special handling), and specified "call before delivery".

I got a call at the office that the shipping company truck had come out (without calling first), and had returned without stopping, because my condo "was on the second floor". -- The lift is going into the garage (ground level), not the living room (one flight up). Duh.

They then returned the next day -- with a lift on a 6' x 6' pallet, and a 30 inch lift gate. Faust is alive and well and working at a shipping company.

But that's why I bought from the local company. They got the lift back from the shipper, and the salesman brought it out on a car trailer. (I did pay for "special delivery".) I had a good rope ready, but the wooden ramps snapped with the tail end of the pallet still four inches up. No harm done, but don't underestimate the trouble moving half a ton of lift pallet.

It's a "portable" lift, but it has quite a bit of rolling resistance, so if you're relying on a "wheel kit", make sure they're good, bearing riding wheels -- not just a rubber donut on a shaft.