Manufacturers should not offer XENON : ROLLEYES : | FerrariChat

Manufacturers should not offer XENON : ROLLEYES :

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by LAfun2, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    NJ sues Nissan over stolen headlights
    By WAYNE PARRY
    Associated Press Writer

March 8, 2004, 12:29 PM EST

NEWARK, N.J. -- New Jersey authorities sued Nissan North America Inc. on Monday, alleging the automaker failed to warn customers that the super-bright headlights on its Maximas were hot targets for thieves.

The suit, filed in Superior Court in Somerset County, also alleges Nissan profited by having customers purchase anti-theft kits that should have been provided for free. The company's dealerships also profited by performing repair work on cars victimized by thieves, state Attorney General Peter Harvey said.

"We allege the company sold cars with these fancy lights, but kept consumers in the dark about how attractive the headlamps were to thieves," said Reni Erdos, director of the state Division of Consumer Affairs, which filed the suit. "Nissan's actions, or lack thereof, rendered consumers vulnerable to the criminals who targeted their vehicles."

Authorities surveyed police departments in 19 New Jersey municipalities over the past two years and documented 756 thefts or attempted thefts of the moon-blue lights from 2002 or 2003 Maximas. Newark led the state with 277, followed by Bloomfield with 135, Jersey City with 108 and Hillside and Butler with 50 each.

"Nissan knew since at least September 2002 that thieves ere targeting the xenon headlamps in Maximas," Harvey said. "However, it wasn't until more than a year later that Nissan finally began notifying 2002 and 2003 Maxima owners of the risk of theft and the availability of anti-theft devices.

"Meanwhile, numerous victims were hit with huge repair bills. We're seeking restitution for those consumers."

The lights cost about $1,800 to replace _ not counting repair costs for other damage done by thieves, which can bring the total to $4,000 or more.

In a statement, Nissan said it does more than any other manufacturer to help reduce xenon headlight theft, which also plagues other vehicle makes and models.

"While nothing can completely eliminate the thefts of parts from vehicles, we believe the proactive steps taken by Nissan will help deter criminals from stealing headlights from our customers' Maximas," the company's statement read.

Nissan said it began an anti-theft initiative last fall, sending letters to consumers informing them they can bring their Maximas to a dealer where a bracket would be installed, free of charge, to make the headlights more difficult to steal.

But the lawsuit alleges that on Sept. 26, 2002, the company issued a bulletin to its service technicians stating that a replacement connector kit was available for the headlights damaged by theft.

Two months later, the complaint alleges, Nissan sent out another bulletin to service reps informing them that a $175 theft deterrent kit was available "if a customer requests" and "for customer pay only."

It was not until November 2003 that Nissan sent letters to consumers offering "securing devices" for the lights. But Harvey said these kits were different from the anti-theft kit.

"The customer would only have found out about the anti-theft kit if he had asked about it, which obviously he couldn't have," Harvey said.

Nissan spokesman John Schilling said he could not comment beyond the prepared statement, which did not address allegations that the company knew about problems with the lights being stolen long before it warned customers and that the free securing kit it offered provided less protection than the anti-theft kit customers had to purchase.

The lawsuit does not name other automakers whose lights are also frequently stolen by thieves, including Acura.

Sandra Feeley of Morris Township witnessed the theft of headlights from her Maxima on a Manhattan street corner last May.

Feeley, who spoke at Monday's news conference, took the vehicle to a dealership to have the lights replaced and $4,000 worth of damage repaired.

"Everyone there said, `Oh, this is an issue here," she said. "I was like, `Why wasn't I told about this?"'

She said she would not have bought a Nissan Maxima had she known its headlights were so popular with thieves.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press | Article licensing and reprint options

2. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Is it really Nissan's fault that some consumers had their headlights stolen? Bit of a stretch, although I would support any lawsuit that forces manufacturers to pay for speeding tickets. After all, I wouldn't get them unless I used their products...

3. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I don't think it is Nissan's fault. What is next, we sue Smith and Wesson for murders in Oakland? I think we as a society tend to forget about personal responsibility.

LMAO, I like this one. :D

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wow, suddenly you can get sued for providing people with a quality product that they demand. Disgusting

That would be like someone here suing Ferrari after their car got stolen. Imagine the case: Well Mr. Montezemolo, you made my car too irresistable!

5. liminality

liminality Rookie

Mar 3, 2004

Already been done. Kinda like suing Ford if you get hit by a drunk driver... :mad:

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They should mount bars over them, like Jurassic Park!!!! LOL!

"Pry THIS off, Sancho!!!!!"

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Wish I could. I got hit by a drunk driver driving his dads brand new Jeep Cherokee. He had his license for 2 days. It was a sunday morning, I was out to get a haircut. Standing still at a light was I, when he runs the red light and straight T bones me and my car flips over. Had I sued Jeep and won, I would be driving a 360 now, instead of a POS car like I do. :(

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    That be cool. I like Jurassic Park. In fact I loved it.

9. liminality

liminality Rookie

Mar 3, 2004
    Um, yes, but how is it anyone at GM's fault that the drunk hit you?

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

It is not, and I do not want to sue them and I did not. I was just saying if people started suing FOrd, that would be retarded. I guess I did not come across wtih my point very well.

11. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    motion to ban LaFun from F-chat unless he posts a full size pic of his avatar.

Can I get a second?

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    SRT Mike

>>>motion to ban LaFun from F-chat unless he posts a full size pic of his avatar.<<<

Guess he will be banned as that Avatar is one of mine i posted :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

13. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    SECOND. I was just thinking the same thing. DAMN!!!

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I second that motion.

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Well if I get banned, my grades will surely improve :D

16. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    OK, out of the goodness of my heart, if you email me the full-sized pic...I will forward it to everyone who asks.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Heh. I was returning my rental car to National at the Newark airport last Christmas and there were two Maxima's in the rental return area that had the lights and I think even the front grill torn out. I asked the attendant if they had been wrecked and she sighed and said the Xenon's had been stolen off the rentals... and that it happens a few times a month.

Sad.

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah Ryan it is sad.

For the rest of you, the avatar was deemed inappropriate by other members, so I took it down.

I do not want to cause any trouble with the site. I was not aware of the avatar guidelines. My apologies.

19. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    While this does not surprise me I think it is another sick attempt by a state to search for extra income.

I think the tobacco suits and the eventual welding suits have states and attorneys smelling blood(money) like someone's dumping chum in the water.

20. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nissan sent out three letters to owners, to have them come in and get the security kit.

Nissan left the 3 Maximas outside overnight in the lot, and the next morning the lights are missing.

Nissan said it wasn't there fault that the cars were left outside while waiting to get the security upgrade :) TOO BAD!

After the local news broadcast the story the owner of said Nissan dealer finally caved and replaced the lights for free.

What would you have done if you're one of those guys?

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The law student rubs his hands together as he thinks of his uncle the welder and union ironworker...

22. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    LOL :)

A friend of mine is a 2L at Georgetown and I swear she becomes more ectothermic with each phone call. ;)

23. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Is there something that makes it that much easier to steal on the Maxima then on other cars with HID's? Saw that article and they seemed to make it sound like the Maxima's was that much easier to grab.

24. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Need a law clerk to get your coffee? :D

25. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I think Maxima, Acura TL, and the 911 are the most sought after XENONS.