VAIL, CO. -- Anyone been recently? | FerrariChat

VAIL, CO. -- Anyone been recently?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by stokpro, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I'm headed to Vail, Colorado this week for some end-of-season skiing and have never been. Any recommendations for great runs or activities at night? Looking forward to Vail as I've heard many great things.

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I go a bunch. In fact, I will be going a couple of days this week and next week. The back bowls are great right now. I don't know your ski abilities to recommend any specific runs but the whole mountain is great. Try not to stay near the bottom much as the runs on the top are really nice. Also, make the trip to Beaver Creek at least one day. It's about 10 minutes away and much less crowded.

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andrew,

I was just there on Friday! We were staying in Breckenridge, but drove over for a change of scenery. The skiing was great, but it was getting crowded. It's the beginning of Spring Break, and Vail is a hot destination. If you're at least intermediate, go straight up to the back bowls--the China Bowl has some great blue/ blue-black runs. The lift lines were much shorter than on the front, too. We didn't stay very long afterwards, but there are a ton of restaurants and bars. Have fun!

4. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Thanks for tips Ryan! Love your 355. I test drove a giallo/black 355B on Saturday. Anyhow, I'll be in Vail from Thur. till Sun. It'd be fun to hook up for a few runs. PM me if you're interested.

5. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    GREAT DESTINATION! I TAUGHT SKIING THERE A FEW YEARS BACK AND LOVED IT. THERE IS SO MUCH VARIETY THERE YOU NEVER TIRE OF JUST ONE TYPE OF SKIING. IF THERE IS FRESH FLUFF, GO TO THE BOWLS, BUMPS, GO TO THE EAST SIDE I THINK IT IS BLUE OX, ETC, LOOK MA IS ANOTHER GREAT BUMP RUN RIGHT ABOVE MIDVAIL. AND A SECRET IS RIVA'S RUN, AND EVEN BETTER IF YOU LIKE TREE SKIING IS RIVA'S GLADE. CHECK THEM OUT AND HAVE A GREAT TIME, IM ENVIOUS.
    DAVID

6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas

Will definitely check out the back bowls. I'm a strong intermediate to advanced skier, but each resort's designation of green, blue, and diamond runs can vary. Thanks Jack!

7. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    david,

i'm getting all excited just listening to you guys. not much of a bump guy (knee surgery a few years ago), but love the freshies and long sweeping super-G turns. thanks for the tips.

8. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    One of my favorite things to do in Vail is ski the trees. Don't be afraid to get in there if you are a good skier! There are some unmarked hazards, so be careful off the marked trails. The lines can be very long on the lower part of the mountain, so plan on staying up top for lunch and get in a lot more skiing! I agree with the advice to ski B.C. at least one day. Take the bus, you will have to shuttle anyway. Have fun. Jim