Tubi Exhaust | FerrariChat

Tubi Exhaust

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DrewH, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    What does "Tubi Exhaust" do for you other than make your car sound better (ie. horsepower increase/performance increase). I hear that your car will be much louder with Tubi exhaust? Neighbours down the street already yell slow down even if I'm doing the speed limit cause my car sounds loud. If I was going the same speed in my truck they wouldn't even turn their head.

Iv'e listened to some cars with Tubi exhaust and the sound is great!

DrewH

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yes it gets a bit louder. If you keep it sub 3000/3500 rpms, it sounds just about the same, but a bit louder. (not too much) It really screams in the 4000+ range.

Performance? Depends really on your car. 80s cars have very restrictive exhausts that are also heavy. So a tubi offers weight savings AND freeier flowing exhaust.
    (Note: you really should get a cat-by too fully realize this)

3. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    I just put the Capristo exhaust and test pipes on my 360. Trust me...no one will say slow down, they will just stand there with their jaws dropped at the sound of your car. They may come over and ask to help you wash it. BIG difference.

Russ

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    From what I understand, Ferrari has this curly cue in the exhaust that only opens up above a certain RPM. With the Tubi, it is straight and therefore open all the time. Can anyone clarify, since obviously this isn't the best description?

5. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    The Tubi functions the same way the factory exhaust does. The upper valve flap opens above a certain rpm and exhaust enters the Tubi the same way (and in the same spot) that it enters the factory exhaust. At least that is my understanding and based on my personal inspection as I watched a Tubi being installed on my 355.

6. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    The OEM exhaust uses a by-pass valve that is controlled by the ECU for each bank. According to the manual:

“The opening of the solenoid valve depends on the rpm and on the gear engaged, but only when the vehicle is in full power condition. This system allows the engine power to be increased by an adjustment of the discharge counter-pressure.

Active threshold (For EU version)
    - RL = <70% RL max
    - Opening starting from 2920 revs/min
    “
    The owner manual for the US states that the valve opens at 4000rpm.

I have the Tubi on my 360 and both exhaust pipes are always active. You also can go to the HG Parts Web site (sponsor) it shows straight pipes instead of the by-pass throttle valve in the outer exhaust pipe.

The Tubi exhaust is reasonable quiet between 3000rpm and 4500rpm. Expect some drone around 2500rpm and it screams above 5000rpm. Most of the annoyance for neighbors comes from the fact that the 2500rmp range generates very low frequencies and will rattle their windows (assuming that you don’t scream home above 5000rpm).

7. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan &amp; LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I have a tubi on my 360. I believe the tubi gives an extra 20 bhp to the car.

8. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    With my chip, test pipes and Tubi I dont notice much in added power over my stock 512TR, however I think she sounds awsome and she revs a bit quicker.

9. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I should have mentioned in my post that I am considering "Tubi Exhaust" for my 1999 355 Spider (Manual). I understand and agree that it would sound better but how much increased horsepower/performance etc....

10. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal

No increase in HP from the Tubi nominal at best, (ie, 5 HP max). Test pipes plus Tubi, no gain in HP and will suffer from a decline in torque.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    time correction

12. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Quite possible on the older model f-Cars. The original post was for a 1999 Spider. Replacing the already free flowing cats with test pipes offer no gain on a 355. It is however slightly more smelly, but the sound is incredible.

13. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    For those of you who have put on test pipes are you getting an engine check light. What year is your car and what have you done to solve this problem? I'm going to try erasing the code with an Equus 3100 engine analyzer this afternoon. Will repost the results.

14. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I had just the Tubi with no test pipes in my 88 Testarossa and it sounded much better than factory, last week I bought a pair of brand new Tubi test pipes and now my car sounds way better, a thicker sound and much louder after 4,000 rpm, the car feels faster from standing still and I think that theres no big changes at higher rpm and if there is any I would say maybe a little faster, but I feel a lot more torque in low rpm. People told me that I would loose torque in low rpm and gain at higher rpm, but this wasn't true, it feels faster fromt the get go and thats the way it is.

15. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    Well, the verdict is in. I connected the Equus 3100 engine analyzer from www.partsamerica.com to the OBD 2 port beneath the steering wheel. Found two codes P0159 (a cat malfunction code) and P1113 which is a manufacturer code for which I do not have the explanation. I cleared those two. The engine check light remained on. I then disconnected the battery via the trunk knob for 12 sec. and that took care of the light. After a drive the engine check light (mil) is back on. So its going to be either put the cats back on or ignore the light. The performance is unchanged but the sound is thrilling. Hoped this would be an easier problem to solve.

16. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Can you put on just the test pipes with a normal OEM exhaust ? - what does this sound like ?

17. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu

A touch more "howlier" - no real benefit to be had to be honest.