Ralf to Renault!?!? | FerrariChat

Ralf to Renault!?!?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Maximo_Tifoso, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    According to some reports, Ralf will be at Renault in 05'.

2. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    08/03/04 - 21:35]

Ralf Schumacher to sign for Renault
    Says his manager Willi Weber
    Ralf going in another direction?

Ralf Schumacher is to leave the Williams-BMW Formula One team and sign for Renault for next season, according to his manager.

Willi Weber told Tuesday's edition of Bild newspaper that he and the younger brother of six-time world champion Michael had agreed all the details with Renault supremo Flavio Briatore.

"We have agreed every point of the contract with Briatore," said Weber. "The signing of the contract is a mere formality."

Ralf, 28, has been unhappy at Williams for a while and even with the impending departure of Colombian team-mate Juan-Pablo Montoya at the end of the season for McLaren - and the expiry of his own contract - he is keen to leave.

Schumacher, winner of six races in 116 Grands Prix, had launched a broadside at the team's boss Frank Williams at the end of February over his ongoing contract negotiations.

"Even if me and my manager Willi Weber would find it hard to leave behind our friends at BMW, there's a chance it could happen. It would be sad but I can't allow myself to be treated like that by Williams," said Schumacher who finished fourth in the season opening Australian Grand Prix on Sunday.

"I'm not frustrated. But I find it hard to understand certain things that have happened these past few months." Schumacher claimed that Williams accused him of only being interested in money. "Frank Williams says I'm nothing but a money-grabber. I can only laugh at that. He knows that I would accept to cut my current salary in half," added Schumacher, who finished fourth in the drivers championship last season.

Source AFP

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What a great atmosphere there must be at Williams ... what a pity for us, as they could have mounted a challenge, instead they will be wasting their efforts on bickering.

I used to hope that Webber would leave Jaguar for Williams ... not sure that is such a good move anymore (?).

Pete

4. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    Williams deserves this for creating such anomosity amongst their drivers. Williams always seem to complain about Ferraris 'team orders' and such. But the harmony within the Scuderia is something that Williams is seriously lacking. Webber and Button will probably replace them...maybe Dc.

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Its too bad for Ralf..
    When you don't get along you have to leave that great team you are in..thats sad.

Anyway Renault are looking better than Williams for the moment. So...Trulli will be leaving in 2005 ...(right?)

Now who will be driving for Williams BMW in 2005?
    My prediction: Webber and Fisichella

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    The Williams BMW drivers both sound like they cannot play together.

http://www.itv-f1.com/media/cache/20065

I say they need to both be spanked, given a pacifier, and have there diapers changed :D

7. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    If Ferrari do dominate this season, get ready for "As the Williams World Turns." With JPM leaving and Ralf with contract problems, it is going to be a huge soap opera.

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess

And it is not that already???? :D

9. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I guess you're right, but there is always room for improvement!

10. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I agree about the team turmoil. What makes it worse is that they have the best engine in the whole field (920bhp this year?) and Williams can still not develop a chasis or aerodynamic package to take advantage of it! If Ralf brings BMW to Renault with him, you would have an unbeatable package!

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    There is no way that could happen.

first off if i recall BMW signed a multi year contract last season with williams. And second of all The Renault BMW team would not sound correct unless one or the other car manufactures bought each other out then it would still be called either BMW or Renault

12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If Ralf did leave to Renault I dont think it would be that bad at all, as long as Renault went ahead and kept Alonso. Both there drivers are really good but I'd rather see Alonso stay with Renault and after hes done there go to Ferrari to try to replace Schumies spot once he retires (if he ever does, I think he loves the thrill of driving to much though)

FORZA FERRARI
    (should I even type what I'm about to, probally not but I will anyways)
    forza Renault.

13. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    According to Theissen BMW doesn't care if it has a German driver as they view themselves as a world wide concern. I had heard a lot of rumors about Ralph and Toyota but not Renault. Wiliams seems to really want Webber, so does trulli go to Jaguar or home?

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Shame on you. Plus i guess you dropped out of french class, it should say

"Vive Le Renault"

And dont forget robs #1 rule "Dont buy F#$@ing French CRAP!!!!"

Forza Ferrari till i die!!!!!!!!!!

15. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ha ha, I allready knew not to buy French, I love Ferrari alot but Renaults my other fave.

16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i had a feeling this sort of thing might happen, as i said in the gp wire yesterday, but i never thought it would happen so quickly !

however, i am not so sure this will actually happen.....

willi weber often puts things out as tactics to get something else- like toyota.

think about it: briatore normally likes to take on his own drivers - saves money etc. he would have to pay a lot of money to get ralf, which he would not need to do given his current drivers and his others on contract who are as fast or thereabouts to ralf.

however, if this is true and it does happen it means a few other dominoes will fall: one of the current renault drivers needs to go, maybe its trulli, but why wud briatore put him in the cold after so much good service etc - maybe he puts him into a nother team, but he wouldn't want to leave him rideless because it would affect his own wallet. so maybe its alonso, but why him? the only way it is alonso is if alonso has gotten another ride and that means at ferrari, and the only way that happens is if schumi is retiring at the end of the season.

for all these reasons, i think this is a red herring. i think weber is jacking up the price from toyota.

as for williams in 2005, they need 2 new drivers. my guess is frank tries to haul in button (button may not want to go since the bar is finally coming good but he is contractually obligated if the call comes).
    then he needs a second driver. frank is normally not willing to spend too much money, and he doesn't necessarily need a number 2 who is inexperienced. imho i think villeneuve should get the call, and i think he should respond affirmatively and race for 'free'. why not? williams gets a former wc in the prime of his life and hungry for a fast ride willing to race for virtually nothing; jv gets a fast ride, a chance to prove dave richards wrong, and a legitimate chance at the title again, and he gets along well with button.

i do hope that happens because i am sick and tired of watchin a gp of 8 cars. the rest of the field barely deserves their super license, while the only other wc still driving sits out the year? hardly makes sense.

17. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So, those 8 are: Shumi, Smilie(RB), Don Quihote(Alonso), The Brother, The Iceman Boreth, The Jaw(DC), Button, and Webber? Hmmm? Who is it that I'm forgeting? Oh, well, whoever it is must be inconsiquential.

Off topic PS. Does anyone know how to only quote part of a message?

18. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Click on the Reply button in the post you want to quote and edit away :D

19. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    My predictions for Ralf in 05.....

He will be driving for Minardi with JV. The 2 will bicker and fight with each other in the garage. Once they get out on track they will take each other out of the Race and say the other driver was to blame.

By the 6th race Paul Stottart will fire them and hire a couple of Formula Mazda drivers with huge sponsorship $ and be quoted "I dont know what the F#@% I was thinking hiring those 2 former members of the Romper room!!!"

ROB :D

20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    as i thought....briatore denies ralf had any discussions with them at all......weber is jerking williams and toyota around to up the ante.....

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Do you think this means that DC will go to Williams?

22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    nope. i don't frank wants to have him back. like i mused earlier, if he is going to take an old boy back then he might as well take a proven winner and former wc, who will probably be much cheaper anyway.
    i think dc will try of course, but probably end up at toyota for big bucks to play out his remaining days. just imho

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Who cares, Ralf will never win a worlds championship, and go down as an also ran when history is written.

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think I agree.

I made some bold statements here about Ralf winning the WC this year. Well, test times and the reality of Melbourne couldn't have been farther apart. Did Ralf even participate in this GP?

This morning Willi Weber (gosh, I hate this guy) denied everything. No idea what game they're playing.

Rob, it is "Vive la Renault". In French (as in Italian) all cars are feminine. And if you look at the Renault you know why. Gosh she is a beauty!

25. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    Did I say Ralf was going to be WDC??? I am just reporting news on how Ferraris rivals are doing. Renault will be stronger than ever next year, and I do care about that!