Testerossa Spider | FerrariChat

Testerossa Spider

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Tomf-1, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Today was absolutely picture perfect...so I took my 512TR to the office. During lunch, yy secretary asked why I didn't get a topless 512 (she knows me well and knows I have strong affinity for convertables).....She stumped me because I truly don't know that answer.

Did Ferrari make TR Spider or 512TR Spider? If yes, how is it priced? And, does anyone have pictures?

2. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    No Spider was offered, but I believe there are a few custom TR Spiders out there. Shouldn't take too long for someone to post those pics.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ferrari made 1 for FIAT Pres Agnelli & maybe a few more for the Sultan but thats it.

Straman, Koenig & a few others have chopped TRs so they are out there. Ive heard some bad things about chassis flexing. The early TRs are so flexible that a cut one must be as firm as a wet noodle

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A doctor I know has a red TR spider, he said he got it done in florida somewhere I think.

5. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Now I know...

Thanks William and Bryan for the info. and the pictures.

6. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I would NEVER chop the top off of a perfectly good hardtop Ferrari...never.

7. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    #8 cinquevalvole, Mar 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I like the transparent engine cover on that 512 M TR. Was that offered by the factory or something he had fabricated? I want one.

The car looks nice with the top down, I wonder what it looks like with the to up? TR's have strange roof lines in the rear. I think it looks odd when you see a Corvette looking rag top on a TR. There just needs to be more to it. Something more like the 355 Spyder rag top.

9. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Ferrari never made any covertible Testarossas, 512 TR's or 512M's. They only produced one special for Gianni Agnelli (see posting above) and perhaps a few for the Sultan of Brunei, but I'm not aware how many.
    Most of the conversions were done by Stramann.

10. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    The F512 M Spider was made (or should I say "cut") by the German firm Lorenz & Rankl. This company made a lot of Testarossa Spiders. There is some information on my site, www.red-headed.com (check Articles section). I will update the site very soon.

11. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Hi Edvar,

Thanks for this update! The usual suspect caught again :)
    This 512 M Spider seems to be the last conversion by Lorenz & Rankl.
    We don't have further infos about Lorenz & Rankl activities on F-cars. Or?

PS: I like your site: http://www.red-headed.com/index2.html

forza

cinquevalvole

12. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I know Lorenz & Rankl did a lot of spider conversions (308, 512 BB, 400 and Testarossa) in the late '80s and early '90s, but I haven't heard much from them in the last couple of years. I also think that the F512 M Spider was one of their last jobs on Ferrari, but of course, I'm not sure. I'll try to find out ....