Diablo vs 550 | FerrariChat

Diablo vs 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by allanlambo, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
  2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    You want a great comparison? Read CAR May 2001, the cover article is about diablo 6.0 vs. maranello. In fact, it seems this article lifted some of the same pictures from CAR

--Dan

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Sorry pal, tricks are for kids. The Car article is written by an avid Ferrari fan, who has been biased towards every Ferrari in every article he's written. This article, really put both cars to the test, with numbers backing up claims. In the Car article, the writer actually refers to the Diablo 6.0 interior as being cheap. I dont care if you like Ferrari or Lamborghini, if you only looked at the interior, the 6.0 is one of the best interiors from any car manufacturer from the past, and future. Even in the Car article, in the end, the writer gave the Diablo props, but he prefered the 550.

If you want another article, try Evo. I can dig that one out for you also. Diablo Sv vs Ferrari 550. Guess who got obliterated?

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Allan,

Don't get me wrong. I took out a Diablo 6.0 SE for two hours and came back hugely impressed, but didn't buy it. I'm nto after outright performance, it's what feels right.

--Dan

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Right ,

For a nice read buy the last evo and find out the Evo driver car of the decade..

Hint : its Italian...:D and Dan will like it ! As i did !

6. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    LOL.... whenever the Ferrari wins against a Lambo, the excuses come....

1. The writer is obviouly a biased Ferrari Fan.
    2. The lambo is on a longer track or the track was wet.
    3. The driver has much more experience on the Ferrari, and drove the Lambo for the first time.
    4. The Lambo must have had mechanical problems.

etc etc etc.... Hillarious

7. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Very true...seen it time and time again..

8. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Diablo - 3600 pounds and 550HP. 0-60 in 3.4 seconds - yeah right!!

More like 4 seconds..

I would agree the Lambo is faster than a 550 if that's the point.. Both are great cars - just different.

9. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Considering this article (Motor Trend) came out about a year before CAR magazine's, it might be a little difficult for this article to lifted the pictures.

10. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee

Yeah, but there's always excuses when the Lambo wins too. Like, read the other magazine, it's an SV versus a stock 550, blah blah blah...

Course, if the Ferrari beats the Lambo or the Lambo beat the Ferrari and there wasn't an argument, then something would really be wrong here! As the writer of the article says:

"There's always been a rivalry between Lamborghini and Ferrari owners, and each is fiercely loyal to his chosen nameplate. It's quite possible that someone who lusts after one could care less about the other; all this numbers nonsense may not matter to him. I say if your first CD goes platinum, your IPO goes ballistic, or your Fortune 500-rated father goes to the big country club in the sky, buy whichever suits your tastes."

11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    The best article I found was the EVO that tested the Zonda, Diablo 6.0, 550 Maranello, 360 Modena, Viper, and 996 TT. As usual the MT and EVO have said the samething, one car is a Sports Car (Diablo) the other is a GT Car(550).

By the way what car in the latest issue won the Decade test? I don't get my Evo until the 20th around here.

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Just for your info, every magazine Motor Trend, Car and Driver and Road and Track, tested the Diablo between 3.4 and 3.6 seconds to 60mph. 0-100mph was also right around 8seconds flat.

In the Car article, there is no performance data. Just the authors observations. The Diablo was still noted to be faster.

I believe that Evo voted the 550 the best drivers car. Ive driven many 550's, i wouldnt put in the top 100.

Senna, in the article you are referring to, the Diablo came out on top also, even beating the Zonda.

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love you Allan.

Forza Ferrari.

14. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Interestingly, the lighter, more powerful Diablo GT is only as quick as a 575 around Hockenheim and Nuerburgring. So how exactly is the Diablo better?
    Most testers, including Car and Driver, got just over 4 secs not 3.4 0-60mph.
    I respectfully suggest that some advanced driving courses may put you in a better position to rate the 550 appropriately.

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Allan, if you are still trying to figure out which is dominant on the track, watch last weekends F1 race. :)

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  17. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

That comes in real handy for anyone shopping for F1 race cars.

The 550 is a GT, and the 360 is 100hp down on the new wave of street cars. Ferrari is spending too much time on their entertainment division, makes for some great TV watching :)

18. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
  19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Car and Driver got 4.0 seconds on a noted slipping clutch. Road and Track got 3.6.

I spread the love to everyone!

20. Love the Diablo six 7500rpm redline roaring V12, I love the italian gated shifters also.

Is the Diablo six quicker then the Murcialgo 6.2. ?

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Don't know...
    The Diablo looks better, I think. I'd certainly pick up a used 6.0 over a Gallardo.

22. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Sorry dude they got 4.3secs and I read nothing about slipping clutches. a bit different to your claims of all saw between 3.4 and 3.6 seconds isn't it?!
    If you are going to sprout off quoting magazines, you need to check what they actually write first. To be fair, I do acnowledge that the car has consistently tested in the 3.6-4.0sec range. I am commenting on you artistic license with the facts, that you exercise on a regular basis.
    You have stated that all of these magazines have said that the Diablo is better than the 550. NONE of them said that at all. The worst that was written was you couldn't be faulted for picking either of them. ALL of the mags you quoted, rated the 550 as the car of the day and the best Ferrari ever, when it was released. You have somehow twisted that to say that the Diablo is better and faster. The Diablo required the GT version to EQUAL the 550 on a race track.
    So let me see:
    The 550 is more practical, more comfortable, quicker than all bar the GT on the twisty stuff.
    The Lambo is faster accelerating, much more ostentatious and dirt cheap.
    Conclusion:
    A Diablo is great value, but not the better car, not by a long shot.

A further comment on Diablo prices is warranted here. I just checked the current wholesale value of an SV Diablo in Australia, it is worth about the same as a second hand Porsche 996 and roughly only 1/4 of it's original purchase price, an absolute bargain if you are looking for one.

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Also, Jeru, is a member of this forum, ive had it out with him here before.

Believe me, there are idiots on the porsche forum also. There are guys who believe a stock 993TT is faster than a Murcielago. Another guy says he raced a Diablo in a stock X-50 Porsche, gave it a 3 second head start, and then blew right past it, and another guy who is proud of spending reportedly 200,000 in upgrades on his car, and ran mid 11's in the mid 120's in it.

They also refer to the 355 and Diablo as "OLd outdated trash"

Then there are some pretty cool guys. Just like here.

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I watched the race. I didnt see any 360's or 550 or 575's in it. Where they hidden? Are those F1 cars just 550's with different bodies on them? Yeah, i didnt think so.