Hydraulics in a sports car (seriously) | FerrariChat

Hydraulics in a sports car (seriously)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by cohiba_man, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been thinking about this for quite a while, I'd like to DD my C5, but I find it too low to be comfortable an a lot of driveways...would it be possible to put airbags in to raise and lower the front/ whole thing up to 2 inches or maybe a little more and right down WITHOUT affecting the suspension, handling at all and with a minimal (100-200 pounds at most) weight increase. Is this possible or will it mess up the ride and handling dynamics? Remember this is a funtional system, not for the 'bling-bling' factor.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Just about everything I have heard is that these systems kill handling.

3. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    think aobut it too, an extra 200 lbs on either end of the car throws off the balance that the car was designed around

4. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Yea, I looked into it for the same reason you were. Except I wanted to set my coil-overs down to where the car sat 1 inch off the ground. So when I was driving I could have the bags up and ride with no problem and when I wanted to have fun I just hit the switch and it drops right down on to the coils. But no luck it kills your handling sorry.

5. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What is a DD? Dutch Delima? Deliberate Dementia?

However, I will note that raising or lowering the car by 3 millimeters (yes mm) is enough to alter the camber and toe settings on these cars.

With the long/short a-arm suspensions Ferrari uses (Corvette uses this too); the roll center generally moves about 60% faster than the ride height of the car. This leads to geometry effects like when the car is high off the road surface, you need very little spring to control roll, but while the car is low to the road you need much more spring to control roll. Exactly the opposite effect as desired!

7. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks everyone, thats too bad. BTW, DD means daily drive