Rolls-Royce vs Bentley | FerrariChat

Rolls-Royce vs Bentley

Discussion in 'British' started by lesterm, Nov 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Hello all,

I was browsing eBay and came across the Rolls-Royce Silver Seraph. To me, this car looks a lot like the Bentley Arnage. I was just wondering if there were any big differences between the two cars. Another thing: I don't know much about the reliability of Bentley or Rolls-Royce. How do they run, and how much will it cost if something happens to go wrong? Any advice here would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    They are BMW designed cars with more or less BMW electronics and managment systems under the hood. I like the RR Sereph personally.

3. Johns

Johns Guest

Nov 2, 2003
    nj/nyc
    Full Name:
    Johnny East
    RR Phantom= King!

4. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    The seraph and the early Arnage used the BMW V12 (in various states of tune) whilst later Arnage's used the Turbo Rolls V8. both designed by Rolls but with very limited help from BMW (IE. the modified engines and transmissions)

5. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You DRIVE a Bentley

You get DRIVEN in a Rolls Royce.

That's the simpliest way of describing the cars. Here in England I'd say the Bentley has more respect among younger generations, whereas the Aristocrats and very Upper class would go for the Roller.

Both very similar cars if you're talking Arnage and pre for Bentley, anything bar the Phantom for Rolls Royce. More contemporary cars (Cont GT and Phantom) are Audi or BMW respectively.

They've lost their original nature and characteristics.

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

As pointed out earlier by Andrewg, there is one important difference between the RR and Bentley.

The Arnage comes in 2 versions.

One is marketed as the "green label" which is a twin turbo BMW engine.....and the other is the "red label" which has the twin turbo Bentley monster motor with "stump pulling torque".

There is a huge difference at resale time as well.......for obvious reasons.

The "red label" is the car that everyone wants.

7. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    IMHO A Bentley is a better buy than a Rolls. There are LESS Bentleys made than Rolls. In the old days the Bentley was the SPORTS CAR and for the people who DID not need or want to flaunt there worth.
    Have had and enjoyed both. www.rroc.org will help you out. As far as cost CHEAPER than a Ferrari by far.
    Good luck and good hunting
    Take Care
    George P.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Both depreciate like stones. Both handle like big trucks. Both are more or less look-at-me and ego cars. Parts are more expensive than MB (which I have found to be more than Ferrari parts). And unless you are looking at the new Phantom (the size of a double wide) or the new Continental GT, you're looking at 20 year old technology.

9. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Judge, I couldn't agree more. Every time I see one of these, I chuckle at the drivers and shake my head.

10. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

I guess I would chuckle too if I just got blown away by a huge sedan with five people in my Ferrari! I guess Ferraris aren't driven by posers,yeah right.

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Sorry, i dont think they are "hey look at me cars". Great comfort, and ride, ultimate in luxury

12. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    They're also British :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well.... kinda German too now.... :(

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Allan:

Karen wouldn't let me replace my MB 500 with a Turbo R we were looking at because the MB is more comfortable. The handling in the Bentley left alot to be desired. Anyone can hit the loud pedal on a straightaway, but you already know that with a lambo...

Sorry, cheap shot.

Erik

14. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    KDS--
    THe Arnage CAME in the red and green label. The Green was the BMW v12, and the Red was a single turbo 6.75L motor. Then they came out with the Arnage T, which has black badges, and the Arnage R. The R is basicaly still a Red Label, where the T is the twin Turbo monster. They are all great cars to drive, and my fav. has to be the T. It is very smooth and linear power.

The RR SS had a lot more luxry in it. As stated earlier, you should be driven in the RR. The new Phantom, even for its size, 18" longer then an Arnage, is still over 600lbs lighter then an T. And for its size, is WOW fast!! First time I drove a Phantom, I was blown away. They are very fast for there size, and a great, solid feeling car. Of course, that car gets noticed BIG TIME.

From a dealer stand point, since the change, Bentley has done more to push there company fwd. Where as RR is coming along slowly. Of course Bentely did not lose that many people, so there tranistion was a smooth one. We are all excited for the Cont. GT, and will be driving it in early Dec hopefully!!!!!! :)

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Redhead.....

Thanks for the clarification.

16. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    You guys are fully aware that there are some Bentley drivers who do still give a rat's !ss about Bentley being a fabulous Le Mans racer right?

Calling the Bentley a look-at-me ego car is like calling a Ferrari one or any mega dollar car an ego car. Bentley has a fabulous history. Full of colorful characters, good and bad.

Cheers

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Actually, those were an authorized Bentley dealer's words to me when I was looking at a turbo.

Don't get me wrong (I have models of the EXP Speed 8), but Bentley's glory days were 81 years ago and the latest win was, shall we say, managed.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Stick:

If you're refering to some of the members of the Bentley drivers club that I've run into, they're worse than the "pre-1969 Ferrari" crowd. The only real Bentleys are pre-1930...

Even Mazda has won Le Mans since then.

Cheers,
    Erik

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yeah, you know those 365'S corner like they were on rails! Not to mention the acceleration that will take your breath away! lol

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Rides like a Buick. Handles like a Ferrari. I make no excuses for it, its a 30 year old chassis design.

21. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Pre-1939, not pre-1930. Or easily classified as the pre-war cars. There's always crappy apples in these clubs. I presonally like most of the pre-1969 Ferrari folks I've met and I definitely like the Bentley drivers club guys I know.

Did Mazda win 4 times in a row? Do they have 6 Le Mans first place victories?

Endurance racing remains the truest form of racing in my book, and Bentley's history is one of the richest.

Cheers

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Not a car id make cheap shots it others with.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Why not. I like it and am happy with it. Its the only car I am not selling before moving to Shanghai in 2 months.

24. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Bentley was sold long ago. Doesn't mean one can't love the marque for what it is.

Irrespective of who said it, you regurgitated those words as your own until you were called on it, which goes to show you agree. I also know for a fact that their history, albeit dated and faded, still sells them cars.

I don't care what you tell me, but I have yet to find a car as comfortable and "right" as the Bentley Continental T. No it might not outhandle a Mercedes, but it sure is the perfect blend between comfort and sportiness. Want a sports car, that's what Ferraris are for. These are luxo barges. Automatic transmission. Big torque, big horsepower, and a little more torque in case you need it later.

The new dashes in the Benzes leave a lot to be desired. Their venerable old world feel is gone. Nothing quite like top down motoring in a Bentley Azure either. Ever driven or ridden in a 540K? Now THAT is a Mercedes.

Cheers

25. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Sorry to hear that.