Exclusive---------612 First Drive By Autocar------- | FerrariChat

Exclusive---------612 First Drive By Autocar-------

Discussion in '612/599' started by tonyh, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Top speed = 196 MPH +
    0-60 MPH = 4.2 secs

Autocar Checklist [out of 5]
    Styling;3
    Unusual proportions.Nose worksbest.Scalloped flanks a neat touch.Not your classically beautiful Ferrari.

Engine;4
    Brilliant.Terrific performance combined with true refinement.F1 box a treat.Don't ask about economy.

Handling/ride;5
    Close to perfect for a GT car.Supple ride,great stability,fabulous traction,light steering improves with speed.

Brakes;4
    Easily passes Ferrari's 10 stops from 125mph to zero fade test.A bit over-servoed , but immensely powerful.

Cabin quality;4
    Simple, yet special.Beautiful materials,elegantly employed.Assembled with real care.Feels solid.

Practicality;3
    An excess of room for 2.Rear seat offers more than just 2 plus 2 seating, but you are confined.Small boot.

Value for money;3
    So what if Bentley does it for £50 k less, the Ferrari is better to drive and quicker.Depreciation the big issue.

VERDICT:
    Ferrari builds a great GT car.Pity it doesn't look like one.

2. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, Tony

3. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Thanks for the info.

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  5. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    To stir the hornet's nest, Ferrari are starting to get a bit of a reputation for not building classically beautiful Ferraris :)

Progress...

And before anyone gets too tetchy, I'm yanking the chain somewhat :) I suspect it'll look better with age/familiarity.

6. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    i understand where you are coming from, but then again when the testarossa came out, it was not widely accepted (stylistically) but now it is considered a classic ferrari look. i suspect that in 15 years, we will be saying, "what happened to those classic ferrari looks from the 90's and 00's?"

change is the only thing that we can count on

but this 612 seems incredibly fast for a relatively big 2+2. 0-60 in 4.2 FAST! i cant wait to see what they bring out for the replacment of the 550/575!

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  8. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Just picked up Autocar, and in Rosso Corsa I don't think it looks that bad.

Rear lights could be a bit bigger (think the weeny lights are an error on the Enzo too), and the rear deck could be a bit nicer, but as a 4 seat supercar, I think it'll find a lot of buyers.