Which Ferrari would you rather have? | FerrariChat

Which Ferrari would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RAMMER, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    If you had to pick a Ferrari from the following choices which one would you choose. Keep in mind that these cars are all in excellent condition with about 30k on the clock and up to date maintenace. Feel free to comment on your reasons for picking or not picking a particular car. YOUR CHOICES ARE: A-1989-90 348 tb or ts B- 1986-89 328 gts or gtb C- 1984-86 Testarrosa

2. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    C-Testarrosa- because its a testarroasa!

3. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Yup, the redhead...

4. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Well, first of all I had a 1986 328 GTS and now a 1985 Testarossa. Hands down, without a shadow of a doubt, I would take the Testarossa 10 out of 10 times. But be ready to pay BIG money for maintenance. I recently paid $17,005 to have my transmission rebuilt, plus a few other minor items. I love the lines on the Testarossa. People think that it is a 100K car. I guess that they are right because it was once over a 100K, but not today.

5. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Testarrosa

6. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    TR for sure.

7. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Take the TR. It really LOOKS the way a Ferrari should. (so does the 328 but in a different kind of way) Most non car enthusiansts could easily identify the TR as a Ferrari. Plus, its got a nice big V12 in the back.

8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Although I really want a Testarossa, I prefer an '89-'91 model (5 lugs). So based on the above choices I'll stick to a 328 (esp. an '89) because it is more reliable and least expensive to maintain than a 348 or TR.

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Umm, do not ask us, go and see each. Which ever makes you smile more.

That is what I did.

(BTW it was the TR that did it for me, but I couldnt afford maintaince :()

10. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I’d have to pick the Testarossa, something almost magical about the styling on that car. I look at the 348 and go "doesn't that look better?" Then I look at the Testarossa again and something simply draws me too it.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Although I am not a huge fan of the Testarossa, this is a no contest decision. You do not have a choice to make, I would not even consider the others ...

In the end it really comes down to what floats your boat (as they say), thus by the fact that you have had to think about indicates to me that there is something you do not like about the Testarossa, or something else (like maintenance costs?).

In that case the 328 would be the cheapest, I think to run ... but you will kick yourself for the rest of your life for not taking the Testarossa ... unless you don't sell drugs or something ;)

Pete

12. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I try to think about everything ;)

13. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    If it was the 348 GTS instead of the 348 TS in your list, I would go for that 'cause it's the most recent car in the list and I like it's looks the most (a lot of people will find this strange I guess :)). But you're talking 'bout an earlier version, and I just don't trust those first 348's.
    In this case, I would go for a 328 GTS. A very nice looking car without doubt and ... with an open roof, a must for me. Hey, I can't help it, I like the sun and the enginesound with an open roof, that's why I don't like Berlinetta's that much. A Testarossa is a very, very nice car but it hasn't got that open roof. Just my choice. Call me crazy :)
    One of those modified Testarossa-Spiders or Targa's would be cool, but... not authentic.

Greets, Alex.

14. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    If it's gonna be your first Ferrari I would go for a 328 GTB/GTS. It's the perfect car to get to know how to handle the Ferrari performance. You will love it. Drive it regularily in all kind of conditions and get it 100% in control. Slowly you will grow in it and get more "mature".

After a year or so you (also) buy a Testarossa. You will appreciate the V12 even more now because you were used to a V8.

Good luck,
    Joren REMANS

15. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
  16. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    IMHO it all depends on what you plan to DO with the car. Have ALWAYS loved the Testa, but it is not really "tossable" like a 3x8 of the same period. It all comes down to the driving experience you desire.

As for me, already have a 3x8 here, and have always lusted the Testa, so may enjoy a good Testa next (while still having the 3x8 here).

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Can that be a 348 challenge ?

18. SONNY

SONNY Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    NO BRAINER!!!! TR ALWAYS!!!

19. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If I couldnt have a 512TR I'd take the 328

20. KEFLON

KEFLON Rookie

Feb 1, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Faisal
    For some reason I really love the simple design of the 348 even tho its built like **** and it will create mega bills I still take it cos end of the day its all about the beauty on the outside

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Exactly what I was going to say. That year Testarossa is too early, tire replacement COULD prove difficult, and as with all car models, the closer you get to the 512TR the more perfected and bug-free the testarossa became. As for the 348, same thing, I was told by more than a few people to stay away from pre -93 348s.

22. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I would take a 328. I love the classic look, reliability, no ABS, Easily Maintained myself. Great cars!!

23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #23 Husker, Mar 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    328 for me

25. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    OMG, that is horrible!!! Why on earth would they leave those tiny wheels on there... ridiculous looking... gotta be a joke. Back to topic...

As others have said, it depends upon:
    1) How do you want to use it?
    2) Where do you want to drive it?
    3) What part of the driver experience is most important to you?
    4) How much maintenance can you do or can you afford to pay for?

Answer those, and you'll get much more "tailored" feedback...