Just bought my first Ferrari! | FerrariChat

Just bought my first Ferrari!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dan_London, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Finally, after years of Porker ownership, I've done the dirty deed and upgraded to an F-car :)

My 97' silver/black 456GT should be ready for next week (side windows being adjusted and some minor paint repairs). Needless to say I can't wait!

Thanks a million to everyone who advised me on this purchase - made a real difference to my confidence level. Also thanks to Michael Creed - the previous owner who I managed to track down thanks to the invoices faxed over to me by the dealer! He kindly gave me the full SP on the car.

Cheers,
    Dan

2. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Well done- I hope it brings much joy!

Post pics when it arrives...

Regards

Robert.

3. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    Wow...that sound fantastic: your first Ferrari and at once a 456! One of my favorites! :) Way cool!!
    Hope to see some pics real soon!! :D

Good luck with it and have lot's of FUN!!!

Ciao,

Waldo
    ForzaRossa.nl

4. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Dan Congratulations! 456 is one of my fav cars, so love to see pics when you get the car.

5. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #5 360CS, Mar 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Nice 1 Dan. 456's are very under-represented on this Board. Looking fwd to seeing some pics.
    Regards
    Tony

7. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    congrats Dan,am sure you will have loads of fun with it and it"s also one of my favourites.
    Best regards
    Dave McGuire

8. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Top marks Dan hope you enjoy,

Dale.

9. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That was quick! Well done Dan. I trust it drives well and please tell us you got it at a good price. Many congratulations and look forward to seeing you out and about in it :) :)

Kevin

10. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    You have made a good choice.
    A few months ago i had the privilege of riding a 456Mgt and it was great!!

I wish you lots of fun with it

11. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Congrats on choosing a fantastic car

The 456 is probabley THE most elegant ferrari 4 seater of all time (and possibly the nicest GT)

12. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congrats and welcome to the clan. Drive and enjoyyyyyyyyyyy

Mark

13. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I second that!

14. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks to everyone for your good wishes! :)

What an amazing forum this is - feels great to be a part of such a supportive and friendly community.

I look forward to meeting some of you at a drive-out sometime soon. Speaking of which, how do I get to hear of such things? Is it best to join the Ferrari Owners Club, the Ferrari Drivers Club, or something else?

For those interested in the deal and how I came to buy this particular car...

I looked at two cars this weekend - one 96' LM blue/tan and one 97' silver/black.

The blue car was a bit tatty frankly; the engine bay was very untidy and it had a very dodgy looking ripple patch on the bonnet - seeing as that's composite I took this to be a VERY bad sign. The tan interior was very grubby and really not the colour I expected - much more yellow than brown. Drove well and I didn't even have the dealer sat on my shoulder. Overall though, I just didn't get a good feeling about the car.

In contrast, the silver car was amazing - in almost immaculate condition with all the tools, bulbs, you name it. A truly stunning colour combination, just beautiful and I thought the black leather with black carpets looked really classy. Went through the stack of bills, which showed that the last owner had a cambelt service, new rear shocks and new brake pads all done around 2K miles ago.

I got the car for £45K, only managing to haggle the dealer up £500 to £13,500 PX on my 928. In the price I'm getting a minor scuff on the rear valence sorted and a warranty with a single claim limit up to the value of the car. My chat with the previous owner swung the deal for me, he was so enthusiastic and full of praise for the car. I know he PXed it Maranellos - just wish I'd asked him for what!

I don't think it's an amazing price, but I think the PX on my porker is as good as I could hope for - amazingly the PO also PXed a 928GTS for the car, but despite his being 3 years newer, he only got £11K. Anyway, watch for an Amazon Green 928 GTS appearing on Autotrader in a couple of weeks marked up at £18K...

I've updated my profile to include the pic the dealer had on his website - better pics will follow once I get my hands on the thing!

Cheers,
    Dan
    :D (still grinning from ear-to-ear) :D

15. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Dan,

Car looks Laahvly.

Most of us on here are paid up members of the FOC and they do hold some good events and trackdays. There are also evening gatherings; the London FOC meet in Central London, on the first Tuesday of the month, and the Kent folk meet on the first Thursday of the month, at a pub near Brands Hatch.

But on Ferrarichat we arrange our meeting on a fairly ad hoc basis, sometimes hooking up with the Pistonheads (this Sunday in Essex; PM Tonyh for details). The is a driveout aranged for Sat 20th at lunchtime somewhere in Kent\Surrey if you are interested, see thread for more details as they emerge.

And yes, you will find this a very friendly and supportive community, with no rampaging egos, and a sense of equality wether you drive a 360CS or a 308GT4!

Look forward to meeting you soon

Stig

16. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    Dan

I know what you mean about the colour. My father took delivery of a 456 GTA last week in the same colour combo.

I think the silver suits the car really well. It makes it look a little understated but people who know about cars still recognise what it is.

I have only taken it out for a short spin so far but was hugely impressed. The accelaration is fantastic and you know that it will do what it was designed for standing on its head i.e cruising all day long at highly illegal speeds.

Hopefuly we will be taking it to the continent soon to really see what it will do.

Enjoy.