Info on 1997 F355 World Tour??? | FerrariChat

Info on 1997 F355 World Tour???

Discussion in '348/355' started by alx355gt, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here had any more info on this event? A US spec F355 left for a World Tour in New York back in 1997, the car crossed Europe, Middle-East, Australia, Asia and back to the States. It was displayed later in the Galleria Ferrari in Maranello, but I wonder what happened to it later and where it is now? It has the flags of all countries it crossed and drivers signatures on the side and a World Tour logo on the front. The story was followed by the official Ferrari site back then and there was a book published about it.
    Has anyone got info, links, pics,...? I searched this board, but couldn't find it.
    Thanks.

Greets, Alex.

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I have this book @ home.I'll try and find a link for you.
    Tony

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    Ferrari F355 World Tour
    (c) 1998 Giorgio Nada Editore Vimodrone (Milano)
    ISBN 88-7911-183-3
    ~210 pages

roughly 12.75" by 9.75" format, hardcover.

it's a neat book - i actually forgot i had it until i saw this thread. it's been a while since i looked at it.

it documents the journey from the start to the end, with some very nice photos.

it does not appear to say anything about the final whereabouts of the car - just that it would be going on display in italy, as you pointed out.

doody.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I wonder how much the maintenance and repairs for that trip were had they been charged the same as a customer is charged ?

5. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Wow, that's quick.
    Thanks for the great info so far guys! :)
    I will get the book soon.

I still wonder where the Berlinetta could be now. I didn't see it in the Galleria anymore during my last visit. Maybe it's in a private collection? The costs of that trip must have been enormous! I guess the car saw every main-dealer in each country. And I know it's been on the circuit of Spa Francorchamps here in Belgium. If anyone has some further links or pics... please post them.
    Thanks.

Greets, Alex.

6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Alex,

The F355 World Tour is currently on display (along with a number of other older Ferraris) in the factory. I happened to see it there during a factory tour in January. It is chassis number 108394. A shame they won't let you take photos in the factory...

Jonathan

7. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Ah, so there it is, thanks; :)
    Have you seen it there recently, or have you got some other sources? And do you know maybe, if it's most likely to stay there or may be brought back to the Galleria? I would like to see it again and take some pics, but of course, as long as it's in the factory; that's impossible. Normally I'm not even allowed to enter the factory 'cause I'm not an owner yet :(.

Greets, Alex.

8. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Alex,

I saw it in the factory in January (2004). I don't know if it will be back in the Galleria. I think they swap the exhibits around a lot in the Galleria because the space is so limited, although I understand it is due to be extended in size in the near future.

Jonathan

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I recall an article in Autoweek about it at the time.
    Additional info there.