Is it proper for a mechanic to post a picture? | FerrariChat

Is it proper for a mechanic to post a picture?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Is it proper for a mechanic to post a picture of a customer's car on a forum such as this just because it's a cool car? I have seen a few posts like this. If I had a $400K car, I am not sure I would want this to happen. If the mechanic on the forum is known (and the location of his or her shop), I'm not sure I would feel real comfortable with that...Your opinion?

2. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

As long as the picture is of said mechanic's hot wife/girlfriend/18yo+ daughter, then hell yes!

If not, who cares?! ;) Cars are cars, blur the plate number and get on with it.

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Peter I agree with you. When I dropped my Lexus off to get the single turbo done, I would not have wanted the mechanic to post pics all over the internet, weather he blurred the plates or not.

I think it is a matter of privacy and respect. Just my .02.

However if the mechanic has permission from the owner, then by all means go for it.

4. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    as with most companies...if someone does the work they want to advertise it because its good for business. Lingenfelter wouldn't be as popular if they didn't tell anyone that they modified cars. Word of mouth is huge in business. IMO if you wanna keep something secret do the work yourself.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I assume your talking about the Lambo clutch job. I posted the pic's because many people were asking for updates on the progress of the job. There was a lot of interest in the topic from Lambo owners and aspirering owners aswell. We have covered the Ferrari tech stuff to death, Usually with that same posts about timing belts,and other things. I wanted to show something different and interesting to many people on this site. I wanted to show what other exotic's are like to work on and the differences between the 2 makes.

With all the Lambo vs Ferrari stuff on this site I thought it would be usful to show the type of work it takes to maintain one of these cars.

What is the difference if I post pic's of a job in progress, Could be anybodys car. Hell it could be 2 different cars for all you know, then a Ferrari dealership snapping a pic of there service aera with customers cars on the hoist and using it for advertizing?

At no time have I mentioned were I work or am located. My profile does not state my company name at all. If I wanted to just drum-up business I would become a sponser of the board.

I will no longer continue to post pictures of jobs in progress. If that is how you guys feel. I just felt you guy's would be interested thats all. Sorry if a offened you.

Tom

6. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I don't think it is that big of a deal. I would casually check with the owner and make sure they are fully aware of what is happening.

I would think most owners would be indifferent. In fact, some would be delighted if you ask me!

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm interested :), and personally do not think it is a drama. After all many shops like to advertise with a list of whose cars they have fixed.

Hell I've even seen 250GTOs shown all bent up in pictures of restorers/panel beaters showing how good they are.

When you think of it, it shows that the owner actually maintains the car ... in the case of the GTO, somebody will know about the accident ... these things travel REAL fast.

Pete

8. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Good point PSK. And tbakowsky, I say you keep doing the good job that you have been doing dude! I just agree on blurring out the plate everytime and that's it!

P.S tbakowsky, you didnt respond to my last email, not sure if you got it or not. Take care.

Vasco.R

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    blur the plates, if someone wants a rare car they will get it. may as well let the rest of us honest folks enjoy the car and whats bieng done to it. when i was at Roebling Road i asked FOA and the owner of the red Enzo for permission to take pictures. he said i was the oly one that even asked and let me sit in the car for the hell of it. he did ask that i not take photos of him in / with the car. which i did not , nor would i post such pics unless it was a fchat member and i had thier permission, as with JUDGE4RE and CRAWFORDS, cars. i love the countach clutch job thread, btw.

10. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Don't think it's a big deal, but I guess each owner has differing opinions.

I've had a car in the Griot's Garage catalog, and was thrilled that they asked if they could use it.

If I own a car that a mechanic would post here, I'd see it as a positive indication of the value/interest my car has. Why hide a beautiful car?

But yes, blur the plate for privacy.

11. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Blur the plates, and you're good.

If it's really different from stock, easially identifiable, etc. then get owner's permission if possible. Not nessicary in my opinion. If he drove up there in public, he's ok getting his picture taken (at least in the eyes of the law, and any kind of sane thinking.)

Absolutely no releasing owner information of any kind (name, height, residence location, etc.) withought prior consent. No pics of said owner withought same.

My feelings on the matter.

12. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Tom..I don't think you offended anyone. The spirit of the post was with all good intention. I am still mixed if it is actually a good idea. Sharing pictures high-end cars that you may be excited to work on is a good thing. The owner may look at the post and be pleased or pissed, who knows. I just threw out the question to see what others thought. If my car was in your shop and you asked me if you could post pics of your work, I would not have a problem with it if because you asked me first. I think that more mechanics should show their work so others can learn, but with the permission of the owners.

13. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I think it would be fine providing that you had a buxom babe bending over with her arse in the air (nude of course) so as to cover the license plate.

14. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    If my mechanic is proud enough of his work that he wants to post a picture of my car to show it off, it seems like I'm getting good work and I better not do anything to pi$$ him off.

15. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    as long as any distinguishing marks are removed (eg: blurring the plate) and assuming the car is not an identifiable one-off then i think you have zero leg to stand on.

it's a pic of a white countach. or a red 512TR. so what. while they're not as common as toyota camray's, there're certainly more than plenty of them out there and if there's no realistic way for a viewer to trace the car back to the owner (and a private-minded owner would certainly be thoughtful about this a priori) then no harm no foul.

my tuppence.

doody.

16. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Sorry but I disagree. A mechanic that works on my car or has it in his shop and puts up a pic of it in any way with out my permission will catch hell.

I may not have enough pull to get him fired but you will have trouble getting paid, if not sued, and in either case, I will never use you again and never recommend you.

In my view it is a form of theft. In fact, it may violate a few laws.

DrS

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #17 BigTex, Mar 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "Possession of an attorney is nine tenths of the law."

Speedy"Law West of the Pecos"308

19. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Hmmm...... Are those stock Ferrari rims above?

20. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

What Ferrari? Heh

21. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I don't see how it could be that much different from seeing the car at a club gathering, an enthusiast on the open road, or a poser on Rodeo Drive and Joe Somebody snaps a picture. Of course it would be more appropriate to ask first, especually if your posting them on the internet, but I don't see why it would be such a big deal with plates blurred and no driver/owner shots etc. If its just a pic of a gorgeous car and no paperazzi type deals of people then its just another stunning Ferrari/Lamborghini. JMO People will see you/your car when you drive it anyways... unless you don't use it.

22. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I love post of people working on cars - Weather it be their own or a customers - Keep them coming tbakowsky! :)

23. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Bingo, public domain. You'll have a very hard time making any kind of case.

Though it might be a good idea as a courteousy matter.

24. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    My mechanic originally posted this photo of my car without my permission. As punishment, I have cut back on his daily ration of Enzobiscuits.

25. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    Actually it may be just the opposite. My friend is a photographer and any photo he takes under contract for anyone be it wedding or headshot is his to do what he pleases with. As long as the customer gets what they paid for that is what they are entitled to. I think you are a little to sensitive about the matter...whenever any shop puts rims or a stereo in any car they take pictures of their work....they are allowed to. The only way i could see someone getting in trouble is if you say before your car goes in, "just do the work, dont take any pictures of the car, and dont touch anything" But then you would sound like an ******. I would think most bosses would tell you to go to hell vs yelling at the mechanic in a situation like that too. JMO not saying anything bad about you either just trying to put whats in my mind into words