Mass insurance/lack there of! | FerrariChat

Mass insurance/lack there of!

Discussion in 'New England' started by abarthracer, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Can you guys give me some suggestions on insuring my 85 Mondial that will be here in 2weeks? I have called the usual big guys, Hagerty, chubb, Grundy etc and they all say that MA is one of 2 states that the car has to be older than 25yrs for them to insure. What a f----g monopoly the insurers have here! So who do you guys use that is reasonable? Thanks
    David

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Never liked those "exclusive" insurance policies anyway. Too many restrictions and loopholes in their advantage. try Geico or Progressive.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    if i'm not mistaken, neither geico nor progressive insure in MA.

if you search the archives for MA insurance (or maybe ven just scroll through the NE section) you'll find one specific long thread that links to an analysis of MA insurers with ratings and the like.

because the system is fully regulated, no carrier will give you a better deal than any other carrier. you're simply betting on whether the carrier will treat you and your car right.

i've used safety, liberty, and commerce in my years driving here. safety is the absolute worst. liberty was great. and commerce i haven't really had a chance to "test", thankfully.

the was a horrific article in the globe a sunday or two back about how the system works and how each driver in particularly bad areas is subsidized to the tune of MANY thousands of dollars per year by the folks who live in great areas. and these bad areas are sections of the city, where there's a TON of good, useful, reliable public transit. moronic system overall. just moronic.

doody.

4. abarthracer

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Thanks Dood, and Steve
    I did do a search of what I thought was just the NE section and somehow it covered everywhere. I know there is one out there, just need to find it. Thanks
    David

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  6. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well unfortunately there is a difference in policy rates. If you go thru an agent vs. the carrier directly you will pay a higher rate. I had to renew my policy in December and got a 200.00+ difference in quotes calling around. I have been with AAA Insurance. If you are a AAA memmber you get a discount. My agent is in malden on Main Street.

Insurance Express 800-665-2020 444 Main Street which is right around the corner from the Dockside restaraunt if you know that area. At least call them for a quote.

Good Luck

Mike

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    WOW, living in MA must be a nightmare for insurance :(

Sorry to hear of the problems :(

8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    When I ordered my car I picked up a flyer at New England Ferrari/Maserati for Marsh private client insurance who offered some deal for Maserati. Price I got Quoted from them was $3650.00 for 2004 Spyder GT, But stuck with Commerce who came in at $3100. Luckly I am a step 9 which gives you the maxmium credit, Lets see how long I stay a step 9 when I get my car. And that article in the Boston Globe really pissed me off, They said every Roxbury driver was subsidised like $1895, Just so they can drive and set up all those fake accidents that are killing our rates.

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i looked seriously at those marsh guys. my experience suggests they're shystering this stuff. they were happy to give me a quote but told me they'd be patently unwilling to insure my ferraris unless i also gave them all my other cars and my home insurance and my umbrella insurance (the last two with chubb, which i'd rather not leave).

i told them to pound sand and complained to ferrari.

doody.

10. abarthracer

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Just a follow up on the insurance thread. Even though the industry is supposedly regulated in this state, I just received 2 different quotes from 2 local insurers. The first one had no problem getting me a quote for$725for full coverage, $1000ded. unlimited mileage, etc. The second company took 5 days to get back to me, said it must be a "very expensive" machine, he couldn't find any symbols for it, etc etc. $15-1800range! This is all for a 85 Mondial. My point is, it is worth shopping around even in this PIA state.

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    of course the regulation part only relates to the floor numbers because of the re-insurance / subsidies that go on.

if you're crazy enough to pay 2X or 3X for your coverage i don't think the state cares about that ;-)

amusing note though: they cannot provide you any "extra" coverage for that 2X or 3X - it has to be pure profit. if they provided any extra coverage (eg: diminished value, coverage while not registered, etc. etc.) it would violate the state regulations since the TYPE of coverage is regulated alongside the bottom-line pricing.

violent agreement though: there's NO downside to shopping around.

QUESTION: i've talked to a TON of insurance companies and agents over the past few years. i can't find ONE that really has a clue about f-cars. the vast majority behave like abarthracer's second quote - clueless. at one point i pullled out the phone book and just started calling every agent in the book listed in the high-net-worth towns in metro west, asking to talk to the agent who deals with ferraris. couldn't find ANYBODY. nada. zero. nothing.

my conclusion was that since the business is so insanely over-regulated, nobody needs to know much of anything - it's not about sales, it's about paperwork and claims fulfillment. what a shame.

doody!

12. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    isn't it great when you live in a state where the trial lawyers have the lawmakers in their pockets.

13. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    can only speak for commerce, seems to be pretty good so far...