2 Maserati Dealers in Dallas????? | FerrariChat

2 Maserati Dealers in Dallas?????

Discussion in 'Texas' started by future328driver, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I noticed in the business section of the DMN today that Park Place on Oak Lawn is announcing its new Maserati dealership. Did FoD lose the right to sell Masers? I can't believe that the Dallas market can support two dealerships.

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I don't think that will go over very well with Mr. Risi.

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Yep, my partner just dropped his Maserati coupe for service yesterday at Park Place. I understand there was some dispute over marketing or advertising costs, so PP got a store

4. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    At the auto show, PP did not give any indication that they were selling Masers. I like the MD side of PP since they are very customer oriented and I like the treatment they give me when my E55 is in the shop. PP's used car guys are another story.

Keith, I think that one of my law school friends, Amanda S., works with you. Is that correct?

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  6. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I noticed Park Place started selling Maserati's over the holidays. All of a sudden they had two sitting in the used lot and one on display inside. I haven't seen any over there lately, but I only get to look on the weekends when I'm home.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I heard from someone that heard from someone that heard from someone that Parkplace was buying the entire Dallas Ferrari & Maserati dealership from Mr. Risi and relocating it closer downtown.

You know how rumors go though.

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Yes, Amanda works for me.

9. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Rob, that wouldn't entirely surprise me. I've been hearing some things about Park Place making more space and trying to expand things. They have been selling Bentley as well since sometime last year. MB, Porsche, Maserati, Bentley.... what's next?

Other news of late, is the Aston Martin showroom on Lemmon has opened recently. Can't wait for some of the new models to be coming through there.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It surprises me too, but makes sense because...

1) I don't think FNA would allow two dealers in the same area.

2) The FoD showroom is unbelievable, maybe too unbelievable and expensive for a Ferrari and Maserati dealer.

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Egad, that's bad news. Its a pleasure to drive over and spend time at the Plano facility. I absolutely HATE driving down to Park Place in comparison... lousy little roads, excess traffic. If they move Ferrari down there, it'll definitely reduce the pleasure of owning a Ferrari.

Hopefully they instead make the FMoD building a satellite Park Place location for their various marques and keep Ferrari service there. It would be a shame to lose that beautiful facility.

12. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ahhh... a little searching and I found what I remembered hearing about Park Place. They bought out the old Haggar headquarters on Lemmon Avenue, near Love Field. They are planning on moving out there at some point. Sounds like they have an agreement to sell the current location to the Presbyterian church across the street. I assume they are gonig to raze the Haggar buildings and build something new. Will it include Ferrari? hmmmm...

13. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Even if they gut an entire block on lemon they still will be on lemon Terrible neighbourhood to have a car dealership (IMHO)....road bad traffic worse than on Oaklawn....

the Plano location has bunches of land next door.... and the typical customer for this may not be the highland park matron but someone living more out of that enclave....

14. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think the keys to the Lemmon move are:
    1) still in the same general area as before, so you're not upsetting current customers.
    2) much more "car buying" traffic, since I read there are something like 14 other dealerships along that stretch of road, including Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, Aston Martin, and other competitors.
    3) more space. I love the Oak Lawn location because it's very unique (plus I love going by it all the time and checking the inventory since it's very close to me), but there is no room to grow. They simply don't have enough space, and the Lemmon location is definitely bigger.

The Plano location only comes into play if they're buying out the Ferrari dealership, which is still only speculation. I would imagine Park Place inked the deal to buy the new space first (first word of the move was about a year ago).

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Although there's nothing good to the West, you have University/Highland Park to the East, close to downtown for lunchtime business shoppers, and still somewhat accessible from the affluent North Dallas.

16. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    The thing to remember is the traditional Maserati buyer is a businessman looking for a fun toy that still rides like a "regular" car. The idea of having a dealership near Highland Park makes sense.

It's a different market than Ferrari.