License Plates | FerrariChat

License Plates

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Jim Riggs, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    In Texas, the law states that each vehicle must have the license plates on the front and rear. I just got a 348SS last month from California and noticed that it doesn't have a place to put the front license plate. I was wondering if you Texas F-car drivers put license plates on the front of your F-cars. I have had a 67 Alfa Spyder for 25 years and never put the front plate on it, but I have been stopped a couple of times. Thanks, Jim

2. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    nooooooo, i've driven in texas for 13 years and have never put one on any of my sports cars. even when i've been pulled over for some other violation, they still have not ticketed me for that (knock knock). it seems certain areas of texas are more strict than others (ie, austin seems bad). i rather pay the ticket every time than drill holes in the front bumper :)

just have a good excuse ready... seems to work for most. do a search on this topic and there are some pretty good excuses people have listed.

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I too have been driving sportscars in Texas for years and years... none with front license plates. With the Ferrari I just walk up there and say "its a Euro... there's no place for a front plate", they nod and never write me up for it.

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    They do not enforce this law in Texas. Do not deface your Ferrari by putting a front plate on it. I have had roughly 40 tickets in 17 years of driving and have never had a front plate. Not once has a cop ever said a thing.

5. psychocabbage

psychocabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Sugarland - Katy
    Full Name:
    psychocabbage
    depending on your area they may or may not enforce.. I was pulled over repeatedly over a months time for no front plate.. I just played dumb.. they kept handing me a paper that informs me of the law..

now think about it.. this "law" is only good during daylight hours.. does that make any sense? its like a daylight only law.. there are no lights on the plate and it cannot be seen because the headlights usually blind you...

If I had the time I would fight to get it removed..

6. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Good Point.

I'm in Texas too:

One thing I do is keep my front liscense plate under the passenger floormat. This way I have it in my possession and can make up some bogus story if I get hassled too much. I have been pulled over twice lately (in my Mustang) and it was mentioned that I didn't have a plate on the front of my car. There are no holes there or a bracket for the LP and it has a nice paint job so I didn't want to mount one in the front. I finally broke down and drilled holes in the bumper to mount the plate just because it's 1 less reason to get pulled over.
    At a car show called "Texas Heat Wave" in Round Rock (a town just North of Austin) there were HUNDREDS of cars with no front LP's because this was a major car show. Well, our little Round Rock police department occifers wrote about 200 tickets that day and blocked traffic writing ticket after ticket as people left the show grounds to head home in their show car. Luckily, I made it out of there before this occured.
    As far as the Lambo rep goes, I will NOT drill holes in the front of that car so I always keep the plate under the floormat and an excuse handy. I have been pulled over in that car about 3 times now and it was never mentioned about a front plate. Maybe the cops are a little more understanding on a car like that (or an F car) than a daily driver.

7. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    I have my l.p in my windshield. That way it can be viewed and it keeps the good appearence outside.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Jim, I took my front plate down to a copy place and had a color copy made and laminated. You can then use sticky tape to put this on the front somewhere. I also carry the original in the truck.

The only reason that I do this is to avoid giving officer friendly an excuse to pull me. The area I live in gave the local Sherriff $500k just for traffic enforcemenet. Needless to say, the dollar volume of fines has gone through the roof.

Is my copied plate legal? No sure, but it looks legit so who cares?

DrTax

9. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Just an FYI, We are going to "non stamped" plates here in Texas. I saw a liscense plate on the back of an SUV and it looked fake because it wasn't stamped. I was reciently at the DMV and asked the lady behind the counter about that and she told me you can get them flat now and not stamped. I don't know the reason behind this. I guess this will make your idea even less obvious to cops.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Ah, but they do. I got a no FLP ticket while driving in the middle of a string of cars at 55 MPH on the interstate with cars passing in the left lane in a Vette.

However, if you watch traffic in Texas, you will see at least 30% of all trucks have a plate, but its not a license plate!, some 20% of all vehicles don't have the FLP. SO, whatever enforcement the constabulatory forces perform, its more like random ticketing than law enforcement.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Interesting. You see my motto in life is that, "If you see it coming...duck!"

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The "no front plate" just gets them started.

Then they get REALLY excited when they find the .357 and some Speed Loaders.

Speedy"Out in the Shop looking for bolts"308

13. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Thanks to all!
    Once again the F-Chat has provided a detailed and illuminating analysis of an apparantly simple question. What a resource for F-car and exotic car owners!

14. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    I used to get pulled over all the time in Lavon on the way to my mechanic when I was driving a Lancia Zagato for no license plate. Everytime through I was pulled over. Never got a ticket. The bottom line was the woman cop in Lavon loved the car and just liked pulling me over and looking the car over.

I have never been stopped in any of my other cars. Guess the others just are not cute ;)

Rodney

15. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I got pulled over once for no front plate on my Pantera on a twisty country road by a Travis County Deputy. I told him the car never had a location for the plate. He told me to keep the front plate in the car, on the dash so approaching law enforcemcent officers could see it. I now keep the front plate next to the passenger seat and behind the seat in the 308.

16. Whatever

Whatever Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2002
    Highland Village, TX
    Full Name:
    Dan Marlett
    I was pulled over in my Lexus half way between Dallas and Houston, but just received a warning.

As far as the Ferrari, I have never been pulled over in any of the Ferrari's for “no front LP”. I have been pulled over in the 348 because they could not see my seat belt..., which was on. Go figure!

17. Erin

Erin Rookie

Mar 9, 2004
    Ive been pulled over for no front plate before but only got a warning for it.

18. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    and I asked why he cared. I was told that the only people who really care are DPS officers. I guess the city does not get enough revenue to care about the front plate. When I got in my accident, the DPS officer told me to get a front plate, I told him it ripped off when I ran off the road, good thing he never asked to see it.