Fuel Pump Hoses - Yukky! | FerrariChat

Fuel Pump Hoses - Yukky!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by donaldh2o, Nov 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    On my 1976 308, noticed the small fuel line leading from the fuel tank to the fuel filter and to the fuel pump are cracked and yukky looking. They even leak gas when flexxed.

I'm guessing that Gates 1/4" or 5/16" fuel line will work but what can I expect when I take the lines off? Will the gas tank empty? Any tricks to doing this?

Also, what about replacing the fuel filter. If I remove it, will the tank empty or what? The user manual doesnt have a part # for it. Calls it FISPA ???

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Get a 3 foot section of the correct hose, remove the old hose at the tank, and immediately shove the new long hose in, hold the other end above the tank, and it will not leak.

Now, remove and replace all other hoses then save the last connection to be connected to the tank.

You will leak some, but not the whole tank. Place a pan or something underneat for the whole job.

3. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    Cleaver yelcab. I'm worried now why I didn't think of it myself. (Bit by bit he's losing it, such a pity)

Can't tell by looking whether !/4" (6.3mm) or 5/16" will work so I'll just get enough of each to do the job.

Thanx

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Don,

The correct hose is 7mm inside 14mm outside. Replace with NEW hose clamps.

Matt

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    hey my fav thing to do is to use vice grips on the OLD hoses as they are disconnected to keep from drowning in fluids and making a mess. clamp down on them to stop the flow, as you get the other ends off, place the clamp on the metal line in a way its easy to tighten and THEN push on the new line and slide the perfectly placed clamp in place and tighten to spec. just my .02!!!!!!! gasoline is not near as bad as hydrol fluid in landing gear (skydrol) yuck!

6. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi donald another good tip for you,when youve finished the job,
    spray a little white grease on those hose clips and road and atmospheric
    dirt will stick to them,dont worry about the hose it wont affect it,
    i use castrol white grease in a spray,it will make life a little easy'er in the
    future to remove them,
    oh! for good servicing thats where main dealers fall over the finishing
    touch,
    all the best Dale.

7. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    Found out someone's done these hoses before and they used Gates 5/16". Has to be either Enzo Ferrari, a local Ferrari shop, or Newport Imports because only those two or I have ever worked on this car.

So if Gates 5/16" (8mm) is good enough for them, its good enough for me. Wasn't successful in hunting down 7mm fuel hose anyway

yelcab's technique worked perfectly. Using nylon zip ties, rigged a 3' length of hose vertically from the gas tank outlet, then pulled the old hose off while at the time plugging the outlet with the thumb, then slid the hose onto the flange. Don't think I lost more than a quarter cup of gas.

Now the problem is the paper filter is totally clogged, probably never been changed and I don't know where to get one. Likely a dealer only item. It must be after-market because it appears FIAAM no longer makes filters.

So the car is sitting there with yelcabs "hose trick" on it until I figure out the filter problem.

8. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Bill, at GT Carparts sold me a filter for pretty cheap. Thought you had one before you even opened up the lines.

10. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanx guys.

Ordered the filter cartridge from GT Carparts in Phoenix for $15 plus shipping.

As shown in the picture (above), the fuel filter is on the tank side of the fuel pump, which means before you remove the cannister to replace the cartridge you must block the gas coming from the tank.

Guess a gentle application of ViseGrips on the intake hose or yelcab's hose trick will do it.

11. mrmidastouch

mrmidastouch Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Winkleton (Soon To Be Tara x x)

We find it a lot easier using KY Gel as it's always on the bedside cabinet ;)

12. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Try this,ARP lube has dam good friction reduction,its important to know that the friction coefficients of lubricants vary dramatically,
    try it on you head studs,or maybe it may improve you love life.