512BBi on ebay w/870 miles | FerrariChat

512BBi on ebay w/870 miles

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by charliek, Mar 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6212&item=2464852490

I think I saw this car when still owned by original owner. While searching for a Boxer I believe I saw this car and was turned off by it. If it is the same car it was leaking oil in several places and the interior looked vary worn and dirty for such a low mileage car. It had a funky exhaust system and also looked like it had been repainted. The owner swore up and down it hadnt been but there was overspray on the weather stripping around the window and I have never seen that on any Ferrari. Just to make me a little more skeptical, I saw the car at the owners business which was a very large body shop. He told me it had an engine out service done by a mechanic at the owners garage and he had pictures to document it. If anyone on F-chat is looking at this car approach with caution. Also, I wanted to get a PPi done on it at Classic Coach but Onofrio woulnt do it on this particular car. He wouldnt tell me why but it certainly didnt build my confidence. Onofrio is a pretty easy going guy so felt there must be a real big ? there. Anyway, just a warning to be careful

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Yowzers! Lots of red flags here based on what you have said. Thanks for the posting.

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    How sad if it is true. To buy a car like this and never drive it. It should be a crime!! It would not surprise me to find out it was leaking everywhere after sitting unused for so long. It's kind of like buying a race horse and never letting it out of the stables.

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    When i was looking for a boxer in '99, i came across a very low mileage one in New Jersey which was still, at that time, owned by the original party that had the car brought in. I had my friend, Eddie K., take a look at it for me. I stress that i do not know if this is the same car, but the one Eddie looked at was missing its DOT/EPA papers and there was repainting, allegedly from pushing the car in place, which bent the aluminum and necessitated paint. I did not follow up. The car was owned by someone who had a retail or commercial garage and if i dug thru all my files, i might be able to figure out how i first came across it, probably Hemmings. Also, the statement that its the only factory painted BBi in boxer trim is nonsense.

5. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

#5 Bryan, Mar 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The car is also in FML with a link to the following
    http://www.interstatemotorsport.com/category.cfm?catnum=443

"List price $150,000" The 512 was $85k-100k and even the first generation TR was barely $100k.

FML Average ASKING price, as of 12 Feb 2004, for a 512 BBi = $76k

"Appreciates 8-12% per year." Yet the present price is less than the MSRP!

Here's FML's data for the last 4 years. Look pretty close to zero per year since 2000...not even accounting for inflation.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    I am more inclined to believe that this is the car I saw. I went on their website and saw that the exhaust looks the same as I remember, it had a long single pipe out of each side. Still not 100% sure but getting pretty close. I can confirm not just one car with black trim, mine has it and so does another car at Classic Coach.

7. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Bryan,
    Where did you find the graph you posted?

Rick

8. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  10. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I just don't believe the mileage on this car. This is NOT being sold by the original owner.........the seller keeps referring to the original owner. I also don't believe the !8K "original" miles on my Boxer, which I bought 2 years ago. I still bought it, because I liked it, it had substancial service records, and the price was right.

It is just TOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to disconnect the odometer, as it is on the TR............so I don't believe either, from ANY seller. A thorough inspection, and PPI, is a must, on either car.

If I am wrong, and the mileage IS correct, then, the only buyer of this car would be either a museum, or private collector, who will NOT add more miles to it.........a true shame.

It appears to me that there are a lot of "SUCKERS" out there that STILL don't get the point!!!!!!!!!!!!..............just look at what the seller is asking for these LOW mileage cars............ALL are ridiculous!!!!!!!!!! But, since there is ALWAYS a sucker out there, they will keep trying..........in a way, I can't blame them.

The seller is adding that it will appreciate 8-12% a year........if this is true, then why the hell is he selling it? He should keep it.

This sale is ALL BS, to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, or course, he is looking for a SUCKER.........EASILY found in the US.

11. Lsand007

Lsand007 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Lee Sanders
    I can't believe the bidding is allegedly up to $75,300. Wow!

This is all the money plus, plus, plus for a car that will need lots of $ spent on making it ready to drive.

12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I find that the prices in a lot of these auctions either (i) get phony bid-up's and/or (ii) are the result of an over-zealous, and often, underfunded individual. I've seen many of these cars end-up being re-advertised on eBay. Let's see where the auction ends up on this one. It will certainly be interesting.

13. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I am betting on the OD being disconnected - there is too much seat wear for just 870 miles - unless the owner just sat in it a lot... Bring the seat pics in Adobe Photo and zoom in...

I would bet more like 20K on the real clock...

14. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Ebay shank bidding!

15. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I agree.... probably a shill is driving up the price. The current high bidder hasn't had any feedback activity on eBay since 2002.

That Boxer is probably going to need LOTS of items replaced to be street worthy. The seller didn't mention the year that the major service was done, only that the mileage was 680.

It will most likely need shocks, all hoses, timing belts, tires, etc. etc.... Major $$$$$.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My Boxer has over 15k miles and has very little visible seat wear. So a Boxer with less than 1k miles should have zero seat wear . I too have seen a lot of Boxers out there with unbelievable mileage. I recall seeing one at TRutland's BBQ last summer that had a targa top and the owner swore it was a 3k mile car. However, from the looks of the seats, engine compartment and undercarriage I would guess it was more like a 30k mile car ! Caveat Emptor !

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    For that money I could put you on to a QUALITY car that we've known since new!

But I'm thinking of getting it myself!!!!! ;)

18. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    Hey Guys,

I seen this car in Atlantic City the last weekend in Feb. It went on the auction block twice, once at the big AC auction, and the night before at the Borgata Hotel auction. Both nights the high bid was 91 - 97K, and the seller turned it down, said he was looking for around 105K as he claimed to own it for "mid 80's". The car was perfect in every detail. I own a Boxer among several Ferraris and I trust my knowledge. Major service was done in 2000 at some point, but any buyer will have a host of garage queen issues with this car. It is a museum piece and does not look to have seen the road too often. Its not worth 105k, but it is a pristine example.

take it for what its worth.....

19. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    I saw this the car at AC also but didnt recognize it as the car I had seen. It did look like a nice car. Joel, are you sure its the same car as in the auction? The buy it now price is 89,500 in the ebay auction why would he have turned down over 90K at the A/C auction ?

20. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    You know Charlie, I think your right, it is not the same car, but the Boxer in Atlantic City was nice! Probably too nice to enjoy, but really pristine. I spoke at length with the seller and he is either overly optimistic about the $$, naive or just overpaid and is desperate to bail out!

Also, I got rid of Mercedes for a Maserati F1 Coupe, great car and an absolute steal for what you get...they are really not holding their price well. I ordered one in 2002 from Algar, it came in but leased out $500.00 per month MORE than my 500SL! Didn't make sense, but now at 30% or more off sticker, it is alot of car.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It is very easy to disconnect the speedo on the Boxer. This car has at least 20k miles if not much more IMHO.

22. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    It is pretty quick to do - if I am not mistaken on the Boxer you can disconnect it in two places - engine bay or just get behind the dash and disconnect from the OD.

23. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  24. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I live about 20 minutes from this dealer. If I have some free time, and the snow goes away, I will drive up to inspect the car. With the current asking price, it should be with the dealer for sometime. I wonder if he would be willing to let me test drive the car with "only" 800 miles? Then again, should anyone test drive a car with only 800 miles? Such a car could be a major safety concern (old tires, old hoses, etc).

Ken